Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Alero Of The Month

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #21
number53alero
GX Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ludlow, KY
Posts: 234
number53alero is on a distinguished road
KY used to have emissions inspections about 10 years ago now but thank God they ended that nonsense! They determined it was a HUGE waste of money and didn't make any real difference in preventing pollution.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/678.asp
__________________
2004 Final 500 Alero #53
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/718701
1990 Cutlass Ciera Lowrider
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212170
2002 Aurora 4.0L V8
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045018
number53alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #22
Redog
Aleromod part owner
 
Redog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Far Northeast Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 18,179
Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I don't mind inspection. The emissions are 2nd to California around all major cities in PA, because that's where the most cars are. Makes sense.

When I bought this Delta, it missed the cutoff for no more emssions by 2 years. Cars 1975 and newer need emssions, but back in 2011 cars/trucks 1975-1983 only got a visual emissions inspection. Emissions for anything 1995 and down it a royal PIA too. Car gets the tailpipe sniffer and has to be run on a dyno at 15 MPH for 3 cycles of 45 seconds each. Very few stations have this equipment anymore. 1996 and up (OBDII) just get pluged into the Commonwealth's computer to find any codes. Drive in with an SES light on in any car, Automatic fail.

Classic, Vintage, and Antique, you pay reg only once, however it's 3 times the amount of a regular car. Basicly, have the car more than 3 years with a classic, vintage or Antique tags, it pays for itself. However these cars are limited to 5,000 miles a year. Go over 5,000 miles, full emissions, which older cars will most likely fail.

Any car driven less than 5000 a year is exempt from emissions, however, drive less than 5,000 miles 2 years in a row, the 2nd year, full emissions.

I only put 3,100 miles on the Alero last year. It was exempt, however if I don't go classic tags, it will be full emissions this year. I know the car will pass with flying colors. Thats not why I'm doing the classics on it. The Delta, well the 307 is the 2nd worst emissions engine out there. The SB 305 was the worst. Plus the car had hot inspection stickers on it anyway when I bought it.

New Jersey is totally different. No saftey inspection, no emissions. Their inspection is: all lights work, and does the car stop between point A and point B. Weight isn't even a factor in there either. Car could be metal to metal brakes, but if it stops within so many feet, pass. My gf's car will now pass a PA inspection with flying colors, before I worked on it, it would squeak by.

IDK what NY laws are, but my first Delta came from Long Island. Needed $800 in repairs and still failed emissions.
__________________
33% ALEROMOD OWNER!!


2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #23
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!
 
tw0123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: lindsay, ontario
Posts: 2,292
tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Your emissions sound similar to ours in Ontario... need it to license a vehicle obdII scanners hooked up... lights on or any cleared codes in the last 2 weeks is automatic fail.. a friend had a sunfire that needed an oil pressure sensor... nothing to do with emissions yet cuz the light wad on she failed... they'll give you a temp pass 24hrs & 30km later but you have to have everything fixed for the next test... right now it's mandatory every 2 years on all cars 5 years and older...
__________________

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 AM   #24
Nas Escobar
GLS member
 
Nas Escobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,460
Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I don't mind inspection. The emissions are 2nd to California around all major cities in PA, because that's where the most cars are. Makes sense.

Yeah, I more or less feel the same. Inspection is whatever, usually they never check anything past basic functions. MD is more rigorous, but they only check it once so it's fair game. However the emissions crap is annoying to me. The way VA does it is stupid. Virginia has 3 metro areas... DC metro (shared with MD), Hampton Roads Metro area, and Richmond Metro area. Only the DC metro area has to do emissions testing. I guess it can be argued that it's because it's close to DC but Hampton Roads is the other economic base in VA, similar to how MD has Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
When I bought this Delta, it missed the cutoff for no more emssions by 2 years. Cars 1975 and newer need emssions, but back in 2011 cars/trucks 1975-1983 only got a visual emissions inspection. Emissions for anything 1995 and down it a royal PIA too. Car gets the tailpipe sniffer and has to be run on a dyno at 15 MPH for 3 cycles of 45 seconds each. Very few stations have this equipment anymore. 1996 and up (OBDII) just get pluged into the Commonwealth's computer to find any codes. Drive in with an SES light on in any car, Automatic fail.

Does PA do permanent emissions or are they stopped at a certain age?

I agree that dyno is annoying. We don't have it as bad though, we just get one dyno at 15mph and 25mph for readings. 96 gets plugged in, which they probably don't check much if anything. SES light is automatic fail, and they will check it to see if it has been cleared beforehand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Any car driven less than 5000 a year is exempt from emissions, however, drive less than 5,000 miles 2 years in a row, the 2nd year, full emissions.

Here, it's a monetary exception, but we do it bianually in the whole area. MD is $500 to be exempt, VA is $750 to be exempt and I forget what DC does with that. It's a pretty dime though, DC has pretty high car fees, but VA taxes cars like they do houses. MD doesn't tax cars other than when they are registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I only put 3,100 miles on the Alero last year. It was exempt, however if I don't go classic tags, it will be full emissions this year. I know the car will pass with flying colors. Thats not why I'm doing the classics on it. The Delta, well the 307 is the 2nd worst emissions engine out there. The SB 305 was the worst. Plus the car had hot inspection stickers on it anyway when I bought it.

Nice! How did you end up fixing that issue? Or were the stickers "purchased" for the car?

Oh and why are you tagging the Alero as classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
New Jersey is totally different. No saftey inspection, no emissions. Their inspection is: all lights work, and does the car stop between point A and point B. Weight isn't even a factor in there either. Car could be metal to metal brakes, but if it stops within so many feet, pass. My gf's car will now pass a PA inspection with flying colors, before I worked on it, it would squeak by.

Really? I knew they didn't do safety since 2010 because of the recession and all, but I thought they still do emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
IDK what NY laws are, but my first Delta came from Long Island. Needed $800 in repairs and still failed emissions.

NY does inspect, how strict, IDK. I know they do the 25 year thing for emissions, OBD2 check for1996 and newer, and they check diesels for emissions as well.
__________________
2̶0̶0̶3̶ ̶P̶o̶n̶t̶i̶a̶c̶ ̶G̶r̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶m̶
1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme
2̶0̶0̶2̶ ̶C̶h̶e̶v̶r̶o̶l̶e̶t̶ ̶C̶a̶m̶a̶r̶o̶
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #25
Redog
Aleromod part owner
 
Redog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Far Northeast Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 18,179
Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post


Does PA do permanent emissions or are they stopped at a certain age?

Seems they are phasing out the older cars because there isn't too many of them left. Like I said in 2011, it was 75-83 only got a visual inspection to see if the emissions are still there


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Nice! How did you end up fixing that issue? Or were the stickers "purchased" for the car?

I bought the car like that. You have to know somebody to buy inspection stickers out the back door. I don't have that kind of connection


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Oh and why are you tagging the Alero as classic?

because it's 15 years old and I don't drive it that much anymore. I want to preserve it


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Really? I knew they didn't do safety since 2010 because of the recession and all, but I thought they still do emissions.

Yeah Jersey is bad. Most cars that are bought in NJ and brought over to PA, fail inspection, and fail really bad too


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
NY does inspect, how strict, IDK. I know they do the 25 year thing for emissions, OBD2 check for1996 and newer, and they check diesels for emissions as well.

Yeah IDK, but I know my first Delta cost $800 to get thru inspection
__________________
33% ALEROMOD OWNER!!


2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.