Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
Final-Reality

I took my car into the dealership a couple months ago to fix the hazard switch, and true to GM standards, the first time I tested it it was pushed back into the dash again :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm bringing it back into the dealership tomorrow... is there a recall on this thing? I live in Canada, and recall notices sometimes differ from the U.S. and Canada, so if anybody from Canada knows if there was one it'd be nice to know

I just don't want to pay for the stupid thing twice, if I have to at all, to get it fixed... I'd rather leave the hole in my dash h34r:

Anybody know the deal with that stupid thing?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I believe that it was recalled, but it wasn't a complete recall where they send a letter.

That's usually done only if enough people complain and DOT gets involved. I don't know if Canada is the same way.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
3.4Alero

It was only a recall for earlier years. On another note, if the dealer said it was fixed, and it broke right away again, then screw the "recall," just tell them to fix it right this time, pro bono.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Alerosince99

My button has been sitting in my dash for over 7 months lol! I thought the recall on the hazzard switch was spose to happen in 2004?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
jordan
GX Member

jordan is an unknown quantity at this point
Call GM canada and give them your VIN # and they will tell you if your car is on recall for anything. It wasn't all Alero's, malibus and grand ams.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a recall as I have a 2001 & received the notice but the replacement will not take place until later this year.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #7
blueyezalero

There is a recall this year on 2001's. I don't know if it will fix your problem. I took mine in last Dec. to get them to fix it. Let me tell ya what happened. My turn signals worked when they wanted to work. I found out that GM was going to do a recall this year. I called GM and told them I wanted the problem fixed now. I don't remember exactly but it has something to do with the hazard switch, they replace it if I'm not mistaken. You should call GM first before calling the dealer because some dealers may not have the information about what part to use. I guess where GM placed the hazard switch in a car it starts to malfunction because of where they placed it (something like that). They fixed mine so now my hazard switch works and my turn signals and my warning lights that used ot come on don't anymore.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #8
Alerosince99

DETROIT, Sept 5 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News) said on Friday it will recall about 783,000 of its model year 2000-2001 Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Alero and Pontiac Grand Am cars to replace the hazard light switches.

The switches could malfunction due to exposure to temperature changes, which could cause the hazard warning and turn signal lights to fail.

GM said it has not received any reports of crashes or injuries related to the recall, which includes 671,000 vehicles in the United States, 88,000 in Canada and the remainder elsewhere.

GM said that parts for the recall will be available in the first quarter next year, and it will notify owners to bring their vehicles to a dealer to have the switch replaced at no charge.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
blueyezalero

If you need it fixed now you can call Oldsmobile directly, like I did and get it fixed. They will call the dealer and tell them to fix it. Mine is a temporary fix and I have to take it back when they send out the recall notices.