Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
Silver SLP
GX Member

Silver SLP is on a distinguished road
Now that I have it all put back together, I'm wondering...

Should the blue/white wire from the radio that is connected to my subs also be connected to the blue/white wire which goes to dark green for the antenna? I thought that the solid blue wire was for the antenna, but after looking over the wiring diagram for the radio (for the 100th time) it says it is not used, even though it is labeled "P. Ant." Is that only for motorized antennas and not the power for the antenna?

I guess next weekend I will try that. Sorry that I sound like such a n00b
Silver SLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
"P. Ant" means "POWER ANTENNA" as in that's the lead that makes the Antenna go up and down.

I assume the Alero's antenna is similar to a cigarette lighter, where it has to be on a switched constant to work. Should that be the case, then you should wire the green wire that's for the antenna to the red wire on the radio so it gets turned on whenever the radio is on. You could also wire it to the blue sub wire. Either way, it would be powered as it is a switched constant.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #23
Silver SLP
GX Member

Ok that makes sense.
So if I wire the green antenna wire to the blue/white sub wire, would that mean the antenna would only be turned on when the subs are turned on? Cause sometimes I have them turned off from the radio settings
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
in my opinion you should use the power antenna wire. this wire will only be powered on when the radio is on (not when the cd playing is going or aux input is going) unlike your sub switch which is on anytime the head unit is powered up or the power wire which would leave the anteena powered up 100% of the time. i look up your wiring diagrams for your radio at time point today.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #25
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
"P. Ant" means "POWER ANTENNA" as in that's the lead that makes the Antenna go up and down.

I assume the Alero's antenna is similar to a cigarette lighter, where it has to be on a switched constant to work. Should that be the case, then you should wire the green wire that's for the antenna to the red wire on the radio so it gets turned on whenever the radio is on. You could also wire it to the blue sub wire. Either way, it would be powered as it is a switched constant.

At least give it a try and report back. Either that or the antenna output on the aftermarket head unit does not work.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
Silver SLP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
in my opinion you should use the power antenna wire. this wire will only be powered on when the radio is on (not when the cd playing is going or aux input is going) unlike your sub switch which is on anytime the head unit is powered up or the power wire which would leave the anteena powered up 100% of the time. i look up your wiring diagrams for your radio at time point today.

I'm confused. The power antenna wire from the car is dark green (currently not connected to anything). The power antenna wire from the radio is blue with a white stripe, which is connected to my remote wire for my amp.

The sub wire and the antenna wire is the same wire, and my amp works whether its on radio or cd/aux. So what do you mean by it will only work when on the radio?

Page 19 - http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...113KDC202U.PDF

My subs can be turned off manually by going into settings (like when coming home late at night.) Otherwise yes, they would always be powered on. I assume that when I turn them off, I would also turning off the power to the antenna?

Last edited by Silver SLP : 02-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
You can just try connecting switched +12V power to the antenna output and see if that works, even if just for testing purposes. Otherwise, without a voltmeter I would not even attempt to do what you are trying (since I don't trust wire colors).
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver SLP View Post
I tried the factory radio in the car, perfect signal. Every station comes in great...

(I have a white/blue wire coming out of my Kenwood KDC-352U radio (I believe is labeled P. cont.) which is connected to my aftermarket amp for my subs.)

1. There is a solid blue wire coming out of the radio harness labeled, "P. Ant." for power antenna. Not connected to anything

2. There is a dark green wire in the factory harness, that when connected to the aftermarket radio color adapter, comes out blue/white colored. This wire was not connected to anything.

3. I connected the solid blue wire (P. Ant.) to the blue/white (which is really dark green in the factory harness as stated above) and it make absolutely no difference in my radio reception. It is still awful.

Can anyone confirm that my wiring is mixed up? It would be great if someone had a picture or something so I can see how theirs is set up. Thanks for the help!

that wire "should" only be powered when the headunit is on and in the radio setting. cd, aux, etc this would "should" not be powered.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #30
Silver SLP
GX Member

Right, that is the wire I tried last night and it did not work. I contacted Kenwood and they said that the blue/white wire should be used for my amp AND for the antenna signal. I will try that next.

I guess if I go into settings to turn off my amp I will also lose antenna signal. Therefore I will just have to turn the sub volume down (to 0) instead of turning it off.

Thanks for the wiring diagram and the trouble shooting help!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Silver SLP
GX Member

Update

Well I connected the dark green antenna wire to the blue/white P. Cont and now my reception comes in pretty good!

Thanks a lot to all who contributed!