Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #521
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
No, not a secret my dear. All's okay.

None the less... today was a day that I was not too impressed with throughout.

It all started when I took the dash off this morning (more on the dash later). I saw for the first time the mess of an electrical job the install guy did on my sound system.

This is the connection between the stock deck and the new wiring:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01619.jpg

Unsoldered, electrical tape, finger twisted connections. Very unimpressed. This is was I got for 500 bones? Yeah... To say the least, it was ALL redone today. Especially the 20 guage wire connected to 14 guage... that was all changed around. So, reconnected, soldered, heat shrinks, and wrapped with electrical tape just to keep them all bundled:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01623.jpg

While I was at it, I mounted the switch plate in and finished off the connections with the switches:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01624.jpg

(L to R): Instrument Lighting, Master Power for the sound system, Floor Lights, Rear Lights, and Roof Lights.

Here's a quick picture of the sound setup in the back:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01614.jpg

And finally, if it doesn't make sense, the lines that is, it really wont. But, they're just the hard cut lines for the wooden cover pieces going in...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01616.jpg

The stock floor console will be redone and stretched to wrap all the way to the back, and then flow out to the sides... it's all up in my head, but, well, we'll see it when it's done.

SO, once I was done today, I got a phone call from the guys who are embroydering the leather that I'll upholster around the dash. Good news for once - they messed up the first one (the embroydery). So I went to take a look, and it wasn't messed up at all, they just made it too small, so they made me another piece. Basically, two skins. So, should anything happen to the first one, I've got a replacement. Makes me happy. I'll have a scan of the image up shortly.

Anywho, that's it for now.

OH! And Oldsnut, in regards to the sneaker pipe, YES, I did think about that. Had a mockup done, but, had too many issues with fitment of the pipe coming off the header, and being able to fit the Cat. Then I thought why not just do it 2/3 the length of the side. The cat would fit, but the pipe would then have to S it's way back to make it to the side... it DID look good, maybe something I'll think about down the road when a solution to the fitment is figured out, but at the end of the day, the 4 pipes out the side I think will give me the look I'm striving for (and sound too).

Edge.
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #522
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

I couldn't find the actual image, but here's something I was messing around with that basically isn't too far off the actual embroydery... again, this was just the first attempt, but you get the idea...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01628.jpg

The final product - I like it.

To add more, I'm leaning towards keeping the stock seats as well, but having them upholstered (matching the dash). Black leather, heavy white stitching.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #523
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
awww thats so cute... the embroidery.... its Kostucha =D
Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #524
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
this thing is turning out to be a beast. damn man, i admire the passion your putting into this thing!

your interior work and blackjacks engine would be one HELL of an alero. (not sure if your planning on going all out like he did w/ his)
Old 09-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #525
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
yeh its ridiculous mark makes me feel so lazy in comparison lol.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #526
white04alero
GL Member

white04alero has a little shameless behaviour in the past
makes me feel lazy and broke lol
but seriously, car's badass keep it up
- pioneer 4900iB head unit
white04alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #527
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Thanks everyone. Just thinking out loud... once the body is done, and all I have left is the engine, I'll take a year off and save some money (I'll need it), and make a trip south to have a few drinks with Blackjack... eh?
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #528
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Got a call back from the upholstry place... they wont do it anymore. They tried, and couldn't work. I wasn't too pissed, I mean, at least they tried. I called up the rest of the places in town and took it to two more. No one will touch it. So, I've got other plans for it. I'll leave this as a bit of a surprise. Give me a couple weeks, and we'll hopefully have pictures. So, until then, no more about the dash...

In other news - good news. Progress news. Both wiring harnesses are complete for the doors. I'm happy. It's cleaner, and simpler too. Solved the issue today with the bloody battery always dying. It was a shot BCM (Body Control Module). Though, GM wanted $840 for it, to which I told them to promptly go find a hat, I took it apart, and found all it was, go figure, a combination of broken solder connection (it was FAIRLY obvious), and a 15A fuse where all that was needed was a 10A. So, that got solved.

As well, the old fire extinguisher I had, I soaked it, pulled the labels off, masked off the chrome, and fired it with a sand blaster - then promptly sealed it with a clear finish, giving a nice flame from the bottom up. I think the flames are fitting for the fire extinguisher.

Got the new rollcage sized up and pieces cut. Tomorrow I think I might have a chance to bend them and do final fitting and cuts.

Not to mention, went in town and found myself a few deals on reupholstering the stock seats. Thought went into this, and I figure that as I'm not going to 1/4 mile it, or push this car stupid, the bucket seats and 4 pt. harnesses were overkill. I'll be able to skin them in black leather, and add padding in to make them something like buckets. This does give me a chance to add metal and not plastic parts to the seats (chromed), and as well, use the measurments of the stock seats as they are to resolve having to wait for new seats to measure out the floor console.

As for the floor console, it's stripped to the bone again - surprise, surprise. It'll be the foundation for the front to back floor console design that I'll be now making. Though, it'll look nothing like the stock one.

SO, that was my Tuesday. And now, I'm going to bed, as I sadly have to go back to work tomorrow. G'night.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #529
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eh_nigma View Post
Thanks everyone. Just thinking out loud... once the body is done, and all I have left is the engine, I'll take a year off and save some money (I'll need it), and make a trip south to have a few drinks with Blackjack... eh?

sorry I missed that quote....you just come on down buddy, and drinks are on me bro. fair warning though, the trip aint cheap on gas

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 AM   #530
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
how far south are you?
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #531
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
southern Arizona by Mexico.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #532
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
that wall they wanted to build, to keep the mexicans out.... there is a large section of it, that is blackjack's back.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #533
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
sorry I missed that quote....you just come on down buddy, and drinks are on me bro. fair warning though, the trip aint cheap on gas

As soon as I know more on what's going on, it sounds like it might just be a good trip.

As for things going with the car, the final work is being done up by my airbrush guy for the dash. He's pretty busy, and I told him not to rush anything.

Got the shaft finished on the shifter and mounted. Dry fit on it, it's different. I'm sure once the pictures go up there's going to be some saying "sweet" and some saying "what the hell were you thinking". But, I'm liking it, and really, that's what it comes down to. Hoping tomorrow it'll be finished up, just waiting to make the cover piece for the shaft as well. That'll take a little longer, but none the less... it's slowly coming together.
Got the 4 toggle switches between the seats done as well, had to make a mounting bracket for that as well. Now it's just a matter of the e-brake and I can start forming the floor console around that.

Like I said, it's going slowly, but, it is starting to really come together.
-Why the hell not?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #534
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
SInce this thread has SOOO much info for modding the interior of an Alero, what are the chances of making it a "sticky"? I think it would be a good idea. Anyone else?
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #535
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

I'm stuck at work all day t'day and tonight, so I wont be able to get anything done t'day. Come Tuesday I'm gone in Wainwright until the 5th of November. Which is just great really.

None the less, I have a few pictures on my camera to upload and post though. The new shift lever, the cleaned and painted shifter/e-brake, the dash (that f*cking dash is the baine of my existance). So, the pics wont be up until tomorrow from the looks of it.

I did replace the e-brake cable as well. I was surprised how simple the e-brake system start to finish is to replace. Very easy. Now, where did I leave my 25mm casing?
-Why the hell not?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #536
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
THis thread has grown some wings since I have seen is last back in April I can only see about half the pictures here at work but what I do see looks pretty pimtastical. Good Work man !!!
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #537
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Thank you very much! But, like I keep saying, A LOT of you have helped me get to this point, so thank you's are always going out to this forum and those that make it what it is
-Why the hell not?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #538
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Okay, so here's the shifter thus far...

Its simply a new lever on top of the old piece:
1. http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01648.jpg
2. http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01650.jpg
3. (with the e-brake on the tunnel): http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01657.jpg

And this will be the shift ball: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC00538.jpg

I'm Finishing up the last of the dash before it's getting sent out. Still contemplating whether or not I want to cover over the passenger side airbag.

None the less, tomorrow's Thanksgiving Dinner, and then 7am on Tuesday I'm heading out to Wainwright until the 5th. So, I'm thinking this might be the last post for about a month.
-Why the hell not?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #539
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eh_nigma View Post
and then 7am on Tuesday I'm heading out to Wainwright until the 5th. So, I'm thinking this might be the last post for about a month.

So you going out to be enema force? Got some guys from 1RCHA doing the same. Have fun, and make sure those going over learn wht they are supposed to!!!

P.S. Have fun in wainright.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #540
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

So very kind of you. No, more laughing will come with this:

I'm going to be a Milcot driver for CMTC yet, I'm not qualified on the Milverado... I'll be working mostly with 1RCHA people out there... so, all will be good. You're in Shilo are you? Should come down to the car club at some point, thats where this is all happening.
-Why the hell not?