Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #41
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Ken, funny thing is I didn't pay any attention to this until Saturday AM and decided to click on the thread. Very interesting writeup on this. I know Cliff did this to his car and really didn't worry about it much because I only had the Final 500 at the time. Now that we have a 2nd Alero I am very interested in doing this project. I spoke to Cliff while at Scots house on Saturday and it seems very doable.

My question is where did you find it and how much for the unit?

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #42
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I understand the touchscreen FTW, but after about a year, they look like crap from being touched so much

My TNR still looks fine. You can only really see the touched spots when it's off. and they clean right off.

I will say that the INR will probably fit the bezel a little better. On mine a small portion of the screen goes under the bezel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
That was the next thing I was going to ask.....How much does it cost to get it programmed? I read something that they have to program it for your vin number. I got to say this is the best mod yet for audio in these cars.

They don't program the VIN to it, it's more like the Tech2 clears the old VIN information from it so that it will acquire the VIN from the car on the next power cycle.

Quote:

And I bet the Pioneer one doesn't say "Oldsmobile" when you start the car

I heard around $60 but I have yet to call around and ask. IDK if the radio has to be hooked up or if you can just take the radio to a dealership and have it done out of the car. That is the way I would like it done.

The only problem is that the buttons light up white, not blue. There is a radio that lights up blue, but the part numbers are always the same. I gotta see if I can fix the blue lights issue

Some of the aftermarket ones can display custom images, but they still don't look original like this does.

Your problem is going to be getting the dealer technicians to put in the incorrect information into the Tech2 to get them to clear it. They usually don't like modified things.

The radio has to be powered up in order to clear it. Most places don't have a bench-testing setup to clear the radios so it would have to be installed in the car.

I wasn't aware of any of the INRs with blue buttons, but it would be cool if there were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
how much did that unit cost and do you have to pay for gps service or is it just a one time deal to get it programmed?

It works like any other GPS setup. All of the map data is on a DVD inserted into the unit. And before someone asks.... No, it can't play movies.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #43
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
is the map data downloaded into the units memory or must the cd be in while navigating each time, sry the gps i use for trips is a portable dashtop unit
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #44
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
You know I thought that thing played DVD's too....well I don't want it now but it is still cool!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #45
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The newer ones play DVD's, but I don't think they will work in the Alero.

1999-2000 models require a "re-pin" newer Aleros are plug and play. Cliff can you verify

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #46
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

1999-2000 models require a "re-pin" newer Aleros are plug and play. Cliff can you verify
Are there any video inputs on it, to maybe hook an after market dvd player up? When you say repin you are talking about just rewiring the harness correct?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #47
Cliff8928

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
is the map data downloaded into the units memory or must the cd be in while navigating each time, sry the gps i use for trips is a portable dashtop unit

The DVD is in the drive the whole time. So that rules it out as an audio source while using it. You can however add on a CD changer, XM Radio, etc...

Quote:
You know I thought that thing played DVD's too....well I don't want it now but it is still cool!

Only the map DVD. There is no MPEG decoder built into it.

Quote:

You might be able to modify some other ones that play DVDs to go in the Alero (like the one in the Corvette, GP or older Cadillac).

The only thing you have do do to install it into a newer Alero is add the VSS wire to make the GPS movement smoother. It's not even 100% necessary, just makes it nicer and is the proper way for it to be installed.

Quote:
Are there any video inputs on it, to maybe hook an after market dvd player up? When you say repin you are talking about just rewiring the harness correct?

There are aftermarket solutions for both the INR and TNR models to add a video input which would work like this. I actually have one, but not for that purpose. I'm going to add a back-up camera eventually.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #48
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Well here's the update:

I can't find a place that can successfully unlock the radio. I know it can be done.

I took it to 2 GM dealerships and a aftermarket radio place that one of the dealerships called and they all said the same thing, "It can't be done"

I just read instructions on the Chevy SSR Fourm (and they used the same radio) and I doubt they are using the same set of directions that I saw here.

The problem is, I cannot get my hands on a GM Tech II tool. It's a $4500 unit and stores like Pep Boys don't loan them out, let alone have them. I asked my wife if her school has one that I could use, on their grounds of course, but she doubts it too.

I could call a few more dealerships but I'm starting to lose hope here. Like I said I know it can be done.

If I sell the unit, I will also be selling the Nav Antenna. I have a price in mind. I will not sell for less than that. It's exactly what I paid for it.

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #49
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
gotta love when mechanics must know more then you, and therefore, will NOT listen to you when you tell them something that they didn't know was possible.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #50
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Quote:
If I sell the unit, I will also be selling the Nav Antenna. I have a price in mind. I will not sell for less than that. It's exactly what I paid for it.

good luck selling it on here after you just told people what a hard time your having unlocking it....it can be done so im sure someone would snatch it

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #51
Cliff8928

Quote:
Well here's the update:

I can't find a place that can successfully unlock the radio. I know it can be done.

Ken, Just send it to me and I'll get it unlocked and send it back. The thing is, you have to try and be there when the technician is there doing it so you can direct him how it's done. Fortunately I know a place that has a Tech 2.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #52
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Really all someone has to do is call around... if you find a place that can do it, then buy it from him.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #53
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Ken, Just send it to me and I'll get it unlocked and send it back. The thing is, you have to try and be there when the technician is there doing it so you can direct him how it's done. Fortunately I know a place that has a Tech 2.

Really you can do that for me?!?!?

I have your address but can't make out the street name

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #54
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
wow you are one lucky son of a bitch... lol
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #55
Redog
Aleromod part owner

^^ For real.

I'm super grateful for this.

I'll send Cliff the money also to ship it back. It's only $15 with all the extra insurance

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #56
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I want to see pics when you finally have it installed in your dash.
I'm also curious as to what the factory service manual was about all this TheftLock stuff.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #57
Redog
Aleromod part owner

There is a How-to thread about it and there are pics of it in there.

I just got an iPod interface and will be hooking that up along with the Nav unit when I get it back. The interface requires a littie bit of modifaction to have the GPS work correctly (VSS wire) but I'll show that in the How to. I'm going to close the old one and re-write it

www.facebook.com/kb0177