Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
thanks LA1 i love you

haiiii guys, anyone ever had a cracked head gasket before? blown head gasket before?

guess what i do!!

so that rough idle issue i have been having was nothing fuel related spark related, but a gasket leak at cylinder 1.....

finnally got fed up with it replacing things that didnt help and took it to the dealership, they ran a pressure/vacuum test and saw my coolant resivior bubbling and the master scanner showing 31 missfires on cylinder 1.....

the odd part is my car never picked up the ses light for it, but the tech said this could of started 10 even 15k miles ago and only slowly got worse to the point i noticed it.

the tech was very knowlegable and very trustworthy, he advised me that the missfire was so slight the engine was compensating it by adjusting spark on the opposite cylinder to compensate for the slight missfire...

as for the DTC's i got for "lower catalyst efficiency below threshold" and "bank 1 too lean" he believes that this gasket problem is the cause for it, showing sign that its burning slight amounts of coolant effing my a/f ratios up....

so i have a warrenty havent heard back from them about it, but the dealer advised me its a 20 hour job and will most likely cost 1600$

but whats funny is i can get a brand new LA1 for 1200$.......i can approach this many ways, i can have my warrenty take care of it for a couple hundred, buy a new motor, or go all out and buy ALL the top end upgrades for my current motor....

so once again stuck in a rock and a hard place, and i hope some of you can share my woes and understand why i hate this motor....

what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not a snowballs chance in hell that it is a 20 hour job. I could do it in 10 in my garage. If you were closer I would help you with it. I would call another shop and ask them for a quote first. I would do it myself and you should too, it is just as easy as a lim gasket swap, just one more step. The only issue is if you do not have the area to work in. I would also look into a head swap while you are down there, or I know you were looking at John's long block, could you hold off on the fix until you could afford his motor?
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
engine swap to LD9 or Eco
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

to be honest i probably could wait it out, but i dont think my parents could since i am now living back at home with them, they dont want a dead lead slead hanging out in the driveway, if something is wrong with my car or thiers they think it needs to be fixed asap and fixed with oem spec and they think its pointless for me to spend my money on upgrading parts, so i mean i can kind of hold off but they would nag me to hell

but the thing with johns 3.7 is.........i dont have the power adder for it that it deserves, no do i have the transmission to sustain it....and the tranny i want is a 3000$ F40 tranny........

looking at some money just to get all that headache working and running.

thats why i considered a second hand motor and just piece together until its ready to be put in....
Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
engine swap to LD9 or Eco

way more effort than its worth since i would have to change the entire wirring system in the car

and for the amount of effort,money and time, it could just be spent on getting a grand am/alero with the 2.2 eco and 5 speed already in it...or even a cavy
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
-Alero-
GLS member

lol and to be honest my dash just now started to peel and my driver window is making popping noises......so like yeah.....i thought i treated it well but i guess not
Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
Fix the head gasket and you will change your mind on the 3400. That can make a heck of a difference on how it runs. 20 hours, sure, if you pay by their book hours. It has nothing to do with how long it actually takes them to do it.

What year is your motor?
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
I sure the hell wouldn't spend your money at a dealership to have it done. I did it in my driveway in 2 days, the only reason it took that long was because the head bolts hadn't came in yet. Like alerored said it is only one step more for the head gaskets than the LIMG and thats easy.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
F40s were 350 bucks on ebay new in crate.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
Fix the head gasket and you will change your mind on the 3400. That can make a heck of a difference on how it runs. 20 hours, sure, if you pay by their book hours. It has nothing to do with how long it actually takes them to do it.

What year is your motor?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
F40s were 350 bucks on ebay new in crate.

wow i must of been looking in the wrong place
Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
I sure the hell wouldn't spend your money at a dealership to have it done.

it's under warranty
Old 09-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
it's under warranty

right and of course warrenty wont cover 100% of the operation...im assuming it will be like 200 maybe 300 out of my pocket not really sure...

and if i was going to let the stealership do it i would have them replace the other gasket as well... but of course that would be money out of my pocket...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

they always replace both
Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
Rexter9x
V.I.P. Member

Rexter9x is on a distinguished road
I had my head gasket replaced under warranty at GM. I was only 6hrs of labor..... if it was non warranty work it would have been 10hrs... I'm not sure why they are telling you 20hrs for yours.
Rexter9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
-Alero-
GLS member

well im not too sure either but even if its 1000 hours im not paying for the labor... warrenty is
Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
i sense a V8 conversion coming.
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
1200 bucks is way overpriced for a la1, i can get one with less than 50,000 with a 1 year warranty for $400 and swap it in with my wife in an afternoon........

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alero- View Post
to be honest i probably could wait it out, but i dont think my parents could since i am now living back at home with them, they dont want a dead lead slead hanging out in the driveway, if something is wrong with my car or thiers they think it needs to be fixed asap and fixed with oem spec and they think its pointless for me to spend my money on upgrading parts, so i mean i can kind of hold off but they would nag me to hell

but the thing with johns 3.7 is.........i dont have the power adder for it that it deserves, no do i have the transmission to sustain it....and the tranny i want is a 3000$ F40 tranny........

looking at some money just to get all that headache working and running.

thats why i considered a second hand motor and just piece together until its ready to be put in....

Your first problem is that you are still living with your parents.......
Secondly, yes you don't have the power adder it deserves, but if you buy his block, i could probably help you out with that, you know maybe get you a second set of the custom whipple mounts
As far as the tranny, i can't help you out there because I got his tranny going in my car, oh and I got his cam too so you would need to buy a new one for the block too.......
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
how hard is an eco swap from a 2.4 anyway?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
talk to Spilner521, he's doin it right now!
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote