Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
^^ O2 sim, or a downstream O2 delete in the PCM works too

hmm....how would i go about doing the downstream O2 delete?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #22
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Go to www.wot-tech.com and order a PCM with the delete.

Ben over there can help you out

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #23
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:

The kid gets a P0420 code which is either a cat, downstream O2, or something else (I forget right off the top of my head) so without checking the O2 or the other problems (or maybe he did check the other things first) he replaces the cat. OK happens again, replace the cat, happens again, replace the cat.

Now what I'm thinking is there is a problem that causes this P0420 code to pop back up time after time and the cat replacement is nothing more than a baid-aid. Could it be the O2 sensor? Could it be an error in the ECU? Na let's throw another cat at it. In fact, was it replace with a GM cat? Aftermarket cats, 9 times outta 10 throw codes on GM cars. Or could it just be that his mech sees him comming a mile away and thinks "Ha, here comes this kid, watch me make another $600 off him"

Maybe the car's throwing a P0420 code because it wants weed

ken, its so childish how me and you have to play the point the finger game on the internet, in person im sure your a perfectly normal nice person, sure you'll piss me off, but im not gonna hold a grudge with you. i mean its just the internet and this is a community, a community for people with the same exact car, you and i have no need to bicker at one another and exchange mindless banter, if i post something you find stupid, do you really have to kick me when im down? when i see a stupid post or thread i just simply dont reply cause im simply not interested. but all in all Ken, i got nothing against you or your car or your opinion, just please stop acting like im that one hopeless person you dont like. if you can look past that we'll be cool

but, in other news of course no one knows exactly what my car is been through so i'll re explain a little better, i have replaced both my oxygen sensors after my second cat, i have 2 PCM's ; a DHP one and the stock one, i do not have a mechanic, just 2 exhaust shops i went to, this year was probably the second time its ever been to the dealer. i didnt just throw cat after cat on it, i eventually let my warrenty take care of it at a specific dealer after so many dealers rejected working on my car.

for all i know i could have compression loss on cylinder 1 and i dont even know it. my car does not run fine, so i cant just delete the code, ive even put a downstream o2 simulator and it gave me bank 1 too lean, the cat on it know and the past 2 cats have not been high flow, high flow is a waste of money to me, and no its not OEM, and i dont know why i should go OEM when so many people have replaced thier exhaust systems with other cats (aleros) and have been problem free, plus ive replaced knock sensor IAT and fuel pressure regulator and clean my idle air control valve (not for same reasons). like i said my car hasa rough idle thats noticeable to me, its possible i have a vacuum leak i dont really know.... im just sick of playing guessing games since i actually never had the money for a mech, until recently and whenever i would try to take it in i got rejected by 4 dealers because of my parts on it.......plus its under warrenty so that helps with some labor

not alot of people have the patience i have with it, all my friends tell me to just get a honda, even you Ken gave me that famous qoute "get a civic or a mustang", no i cant i refuse to, my car is paid off and i know it can run fine, it ran fine since 2002, all ive had problem wise is just engine, no wheel berrings no window motors no leaks, just idiot lights and im gratefull just for that. plus one time i got 33.6 mpg

i have an appointment thursday morning, hopefully they will find my problem or work on it...ill let you guys know what happens
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #24
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know you just had the head gaskets done but is it possible that you have a warped head? How is the compression?
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #25
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
check your fuel pressure regulator too.. when mine went out, my idle was horrifying, and it sounded like i had a monster cam in it

i'd check compression too- last time i checked compression in my cylinders I think it was somewhere around 120 - 160 psi per cylinder.. not sure what the normal is lol.. just something me and my cousin did when we found a compression tester

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alero- View Post
ken, its so childish how me and you have to play the point the finger game on the internet, in person im sure your a perfectly normal nice person, sure you'll piss me off, but im not gonna hold a grudge with you. i mean its just the internet and this is a community, a community for people with the same exact car, you and i have no need to bicker at one another and exchange mindless banter, if i post something you find stupid, do you really have to kick me when im down? when i see a stupid post or thread i just simply dont reply cause im simply not interested. but all in all Ken, i got nothing against you or your car or your opinion, just please stop acting like im that one hopeless person you dont like. if you can look past that we'll be cool

IDK about childish, but I'm def flabergasted now

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #27
-Alero-
GLS member

lil update they gave me a lil hell about my aftermarket coil packs wires and intake, so i tried being real nice and kinda gave the "oh woe is me" to the service writer and said what ever he can help me with i would appreciate alot, so he is working with his shop foreman/supervisor and i told them to take thier time, no hurry, so they are keeping it over night since they are short handed this month. hopefully hear something friday
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #28
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
short handed this month? they're gonna be short handed for the next couple years!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #29
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Bah, stick your stock intake back on if it's really causing that many issues to them. And aftermarket coils aren't really needed.. bigger spark doesn't do anything unless you need to burn more fuel or something, just BTW.

Anyways. I don't think anyone mentioned the temp sensor.. is yours working? A buddy's build 3100 was idling like CRAP lately, and we thought it was just his cam. However, upon further inspection he was getting like 12 mpg, and running SUPER rich. Checked the temp sensor and it was stuck at 160* constantly, and dumping lots of gas into the engine. After replacing it the problem got much better.

Check for various leaks, too. EGR valve, vacuum leaks, etc. Things that'll hurt the driveability of it. The cat's not causing the issue I'd imagine, it's a direct result of the issue, whatever it may be. A master diagnostician should be able to figure something out.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #30
-Alero-
GLS member

well the dealer says they cant work on it....they say they "cant get an accurate reading" because of my welded exhaust and my intake.....sigh.....such bullshit, there is no one who will workon this car, this is rediculas

i dont know what to do, im not going to take it to a "performance shop" they wont doanything my warrenty wont support them, i refuse to take it to a slice of shit place that claims they are technicians...

the only place i could try that i would trust would probably be carmax, and thats a toss up if they will work on it...

other than that im lost on who to get it worked on, i dont understand how you people get the dealer to work on your car if you have aftermarket exhaust and intake. if anyone has any suggestions on where to take it to in MD area virginia delaware etc etc please let me know
Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #31
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Little far but I could send you to my guy, he's in Lansdale, PA.

He won't BS you and tell you what the problem is

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #32
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
bring it to bel air and go to the mile one dealer here, they will work with you. your intake and exhaust can not void the warrenty, unless they can give in writing that it casued the problem, bel air dealership wont bother with that, I have done soem skimming so forgive me, but if u have had engine worked on recently, spark plugs may be not in the correct spots, i had that once when my limg was replaced the first time. I dont know much but if you bring it up this way, i can take a gander and give u my educated guess, i am in no way a mechanic, but knowing the engine i may have some ideas for you. if ur on AIM tonight, get at me dansgen1alero, i am about 30 min away from the city, or 15 mins from white marsh. If you have a tps-tec that may be malfunctioning too.

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #33
slvralero420
GX Member

slvralero420 is on a distinguished road
last 2 post sound good. I know dealerships wont touch my car anymore but there are some good performance shops in the area around me that at least took the time out to help me and through out some ideas. I think I lucked out tho because one of the guys had just finished up tuning a 400hp grand am with a 2.4L. I f you can do your own work, its worth talking to the performance guys, they know what their talking about.
slvralero420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:44 AM   #34
alerored04
GLS member

If it makes you feel any better I think my car toasted it's head gasket on the way home tonight. I am lucky enough that it is so cold out the car barely overheated. I am going to check compression tomorrow and see for sure. You are not the only one with problems. I am right there with you man.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #35
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:

hmm i think thats stretching 2 states away from me
Old 12-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGen1Alero View Post
bring it to bel air and go to the mile one dealer here, they will work with you. your intake and exhaust can not void the warrenty, unless they can give in writing that it casued the problem, bel air dealership wont bother with that, I have done soem skimming so forgive me, but if u have had engine worked on recently, spark plugs may be not in the correct spots, i had that once when my limg was replaced the first time. I dont know much but if you bring it up this way, i can take a gander and give u my educated guess, i am in no way a mechanic, but knowing the engine i may have some ideas for you. if ur on AIM tonight, get at me dansgen1alero, i am about 30 min away from the city, or 15 mins from white marsh. If you have a tps-tec that may be malfunctioning too.

hmmm it seems to be a little past baltimore so it might be like 2 hours for me...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #37
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
If it makes you feel any better I think my car toasted it's head gasket on the way home tonight. I am lucky enough that it is so cold out the car barely overheated. I am going to check compression tomorrow and see for sure. You are not the only one with problems. I am right there with you man.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #38
alerored04
GLS member

I was wrong. It was late driving home so I could no tell where the coolant came from. Blew the water pump. Cheap easy fix. Thank god it was 0* out. I was able to drive it all the way home without any coolant in it. Had to stop and open the hood once but it cooled off pretty quick. Made it twenty miles. Just took a little longer than normal.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #39
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
where do u live, i thought ur thing said b-more, im only 30 mins from b-more

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #40
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
Quote:

who is he ?

my alero had a 420 code so I got a new cat 2 years later same thing so I did cat o2 sensors and full exhaust. prob went away then the damn thing rusted out

I must say tho I do love the impala and the 3900 very nice power. but I miss the alero (sitting in the driveway on jackstands)

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote