Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
weird A/C diagnostics

not exactly an alero, but my 2000 malibu. I'm fairly sure its the same exact setup as the alero so I am confident asking here for help.

when I hit the a/c button, it turns on and works great. as I am driving around, or sitting still, the a/c button light flashes on and off as if it is short circuiting and you can hear the compressor kicking on and off. If you mess with the button sometimes it will turn back on but often it has a mind of its own. I am nearly positive it is an electrical issue but I don't know where to start. button? relay? grounds?

like I said, it comes on and off without being touched or without hitting bumps on the road. you can be sitting still and it will flicker on and off. its annoying and I am sure its bad for the a/c clutch to be engaging and disengaging so often.

thanks for the help!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
The A/C control head in the Malibus were know to have problems. I had one that the pig tail on the compressor was bad and it would turn on and off like your talking about.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
A quick search found this. http://www.imcool.com/articles/airco...Repairable.pdf
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
^^^^
That's it!. You will have to do this like once every couple of months. Or wiggle the the air control switch.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
thanks guys, I came across that same exact document after posting this last night. I was looking through the documents that came with the car and supposedly the a/c control unit has already been replaced once with a "revised" part. It seems the revised part is still bad. Now to see if the dealership will replace the revised part for free since its still defective or if I need to do the above fix....

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote