Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #21
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg9640 View Post
it's not if you have the resources to do it... gotta paint it though and not many people can do that themselves... so they are stuck paying a shop to do it... which is more expensive that tradeing trunk lids.

implying that you would have to paint the whole trunk lid couldnt paint just the sanded down spots?
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAlero2000 View Post
Agreed. Like 25lb test should do it. ("Test" is how fishing line strength is measured, the higher the number the stronger the test.)
Also, use some heat.

lol at explaining fishing line
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #23
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
implying that you would have to paint the whole trunk lid couldnt paint just the sanded down spots?

good luck with that approach. it's not like doing drywall. you could paint just the sanded spots... but you have to clear the whole thing anyway...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #24
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg9640 View Post
good luck with that approach. it's not like doing drywall. you could paint just the sanded spots... but you have to clear the whole thing anyway...

true. how big are the holes anyway?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #25
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
1/4-1/3 inch maybe
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #26
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
1/4-1/3 inch maybe

i think with care and the right things you could get a erfect match without paining the whole thing.. just my opinion
Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
good luck with that dude. Do the whole trunk and be happy that you wont have to fix your half ass job later. My god, paint the little holes, wow you obviously have never done anykind of body work or painting before.
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #28
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightie View Post
good luck with that dude. Do the whole trunk and be happy that you wont have to fix your half ass job later. My god, paint the little holes, wow you obviously have never done anykind of body work or painting before.

so when i fix my rotted hood, i gotta repaint the entire hood?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #29
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
so when i fix my rotted hood, i gotta repaint the entire hood?

Spot repainting CAN be done, but it is rather tricky. Colour matching is a lot harder to do, as the rest of the area could possibly have some fading. On a small area like a trunk, it would be SOOOO much easier repainting the entire trunk. That way you have no colour matching trouble, and as was said on here before, you can then clearcoat teh entire trunk which you would have to do anyway. I'd say the same thing goes for a hood. It would just be easier in the end to do the entire panel.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #30
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

if you have a rotted hood I would just get a new one without a spoiler. If you really want to do it right. weld the holes or fiberglass from the underneath. then fill with body filler, then finish with glazing putty. Then you want to prime with an epoxy based primer, paint and then clear. That my friend is how you do it the Wrightie way. hehe
Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #31
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
if you have a rotted hood I would just get a new one without a spoiler. If you really want to do it right. weld the holes or fiberglass from the underneath. then fill with body filler, then finish with glazing putty. Then you want to prime with an epoxy based primer, paint and then clear. That my friend is how you do it the Wrightie way. hehe

Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #32
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Where does one purchase a new HOOD with a spoiler?? I checked Ebay and couldn't even find one on there.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #33
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
so i was considering taking off the spoiler also .. but i was considering not having one.. how would you get rid of the holes?
would you like out a plate underneith and then fill the holes with filling compound sand and paint blend?

grind down around the holes to bare metal. weld the holes, grind down smooth, weld them again if there are still pin holes. then when you got that all done, put some filler over it, sand with 320 until it seems nice and smooth, finish with 600 and then you gotta paint
Old 04-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

I am not gonna waste my time here. rock on dudes!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #35
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
I am not gonna waste my time here. rock on dudes!!!!

i know where you are coming from man an yes it will look better if you do the whole thing once. but to defend myself a little i have experence with painting and body work and i know it can be done but it will be harder and not as easy lol
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #36
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
grind down around the holes to bare metal. weld the holes, grind down smooth, weld them again if there are still pin holes. then when you got that all done, put some filler over it, sand with 320 until it seems nice and smooth, finish with 600 and then you gotta paint

no....
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #37
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
no....

ok...... dont ask how you would go about filling in the holes then. LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #38
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Wait, what? Rotted hood???
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #39