Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
homegrown
GX Member

homegrown is on a distinguished road
Fix, sell, part-out or junk it?

Everyone:
I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my Alero, and I'm not really sure what to do.
I could really use some level-headed advice.
My Alero is now 17 years old, but it still looks pretty decent. Sure, there are rock chips and dings here and there, but no rust holes in the body (although there is the usual subframe rust - I do live in Northern IL, after all). I'm sure it helps that the car hasn't been driven during winter in over 12 years.
Anyway, I had a 6-speed manual swapped in by Milzy maybe 4 years ago, and after some tinkering with the shifter, it works pretty good. Oh, and it has a super-rare Quaife limited-slip.
Then about 3 years ago, I had a new motor dropped in, and I thought this was it. It was my original block, but it was bored 1mm oversize for forged 11:1 pistons, Scat forged rods, a healthy cam, double-roller timing set, ported 3500 LX9 heads with Manley stainless steel valves, stiff PAC Racing springs, titanium retainers, all the good stuff. Again, after a few teething problems, it ran well. When I contracted the engine shop that built it, I told them specifically I didn't want any leaks.
Well, it always dripped a bit of oil, but not enough to get my pants in a bunch.
Fast forward to this spring, and it leaks oil like a sieve. I have to add a quart every 1000 miles. I know it's leaking by the puddle on my garage floor.
I took it to my trusted local mechanic, and he thinks it needs head gaskets. Swell. Damn Cometic MLS gaskets never did seal well.
They don't do that kind of work, and I'm not sure I'd ask them to because so much has been changed on the car. I could do the work myself and save the $1500 or so I'd pay a shop to do it for me, but I'm really busy at work and I'm getting old. Wrenching just isn't fun anymore once you're over 40.
Of course I've got a bunch of suspension mods and some really beefy brakes, plus a nice Razzi kit and Recaro seats. Again, there are good parts in this heap. And if I do fix it, the convenience of having an extra car just in case is undeniable. Insurance costs basically nothing on this car, and with a gentle right foot, I can get 35MPG.

So, what do I do here? Spend the $400 or so on gaskets and fluids, and fix it myself? Try to sell it for peanuts? Part it out for anyone that'd pay me for the parts that are worth good money (although I highly doubt I'd find anyone to buy my AP Racing brake calipers)? Or just send it to the scrap pile?
Thanks for indulging.