Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
How To Install Oil Pressure Sender Unit 2.2L ECOtec

Oil Pressure Gauge Sender Unit (Electrical) Installation for 2.2L ECOtec

This “How-To” specifically deals with the installation of the Oil Pressure Gauge Sender Unit, not the installation of the Gauge inside the vehicle, as there are many different Gauges with just as many different wiring harnesses. Though they all basically work the same way, it is the Sender Unit that tends to be nearly generic with all Electric Oil Pressure Gauges. As the Haynes manual does not mention anything at all that pretains to the stock Oil Pressure Sensor on the 2.2L ECOtec, this is intended to help answer any questions about the installation.

Gauge Used:
Ractive 7-LED Colour Tinted Oil Pressure Gauge (Electrical) - Part Number 0647 ($87.00 CND)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...stucha/H21.jpg

Tools & Supplies needed:

-Ratchet with 15mm, 13mm, and 8mm sockets, with extension
-Vice Grips or 26mm wrench (highly recommend Vice Grips)
-Silicone Tape
-Tap & Die set if adaptor is not ½ inch x 14
-A good work light

Directions:

Note: These instructions primarily focus on the installation of the sensor unit for the Oil Pressure Gauge, as different gauges will have different wiring harnesses. When it comes to wiring the harness, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

Note 2: Ensure that the engine has been shut off long enough so that you do not burn yourself while working around the car. As well, do not worry about spilling out oil when you remove the stock Oil Pressure Sensor - so long as the vehicle is evenly jacked, or jacked slightly higher in the front, not a drop of oil should leak out.

1. Disconnect negative terminal from the battery.

2. Remove Starter (located at front of engine, under exhaust ports, on driver side of headers):

A. Remove Air intake from throttle body to air-box (filter if CAI or other intake installed. Depending on the type of aftermarket air intake, this may not be necessary, as it wasn‘t in my case).

B. Jack vehicle up and place jacks properly underneath at the jack points.

C. Remove top bolt from starter using 15mm socket and extension from underneath the vehicle.

D. Disconnect terminals of the starter using 13mm socket for two main electrodes, and 8mm for smaller electrode.

E. Remove lower bolt from starter using 15mm socket.

F. Carefully slide out the starter.

This picture should help with the bolts:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...stucha/H22.jpg

3. Remove electrical connectors around the Oil Pressure Sensor (OPS) (2 of them, one uses 13mm socket, other is a simple plastic clip). http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...stucha/H23.jpg

4. Unclip the electrical connector (single wire) from the OPS. This will no longer be used. You can either cut it, or secure it to something that will prevent it from moving into the radiator fans or the belt.

5. Using either vice grips or 26mm socket, unscrew the OPS at the metal ring (due to space constraints, it is easier to use a vice grip.
This is where things get complicated. You need an adaptor that will fit the thread used by GM in the ECOtec. It is a ½inch x 14 thread pattern. You have 2 options:

A. Using a tap and die set, tap the engine mounting point with a thread that your adaptor uses. I highly suggest you avoid this option if at all possible, as you will likely cause burs to enter the engine. Though the oil filter should filter these ‘metal slivers’ out as the oil cycles, they will run the cycle of the oil through the engine before reaching the filter. Thusly, causing a risk of damage to your engine. If the engine is out of the vehicle and free of fluids (as we used to do with crates), than by all means, fill your boots, just flush them out thoroughly. (this is the only reason this option is mentioned).

B. Using a die set, with a ½ by 14 pattern die, get a bolt similar in size, that is bored out and tapped inside to already fit the Oil Pressure Sending Unit (OPSU). You can find these at any plumbing shop, or store like Home Hardware or Canadian Tire. I found that leaving only ¼ of an inch of the threaded bolt was enough to tightly secure the adaptor to the motor.

6. Once the adaptor is ready to be installed, apply Silicone Tape to the threads. This is key, as it adds both a tighter seal preventing a potential oil leak, but as well, acts as a thread lock (almost like a glue that will hold the adaptor in place).

7. Ensure the proper fit of the Sender Unit within the adaptor, paying close attention to the space between your Sender Unit and headers, as this will be a tight fit. As well, ensure that your electrical wires from the Sender Unit can go left to right, NOT up and down, as when the starter is placed back on, there will be fitment issues. Once you are happy, again, apply a little silicone tape and screw it in tightly. http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC00739.jpg

8. Wire the Sender Unit and Gauge accordingly with the manufacturers directions.

9. Installation of the Starter is the exact reversal of Step 2.

10. Reconnect the Negative battery terminal. The next image really shows how tight it is. http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC00740.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, or PM me.

Edge.
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote