Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 08-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Steve03TropicTeal

I was reading some GM advertising stuff..

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/...news/press1.htm

and it states that the only maintenance required is oil/filter changes.

are they correct? no crazy valve replacments or sensor replacments or anything like that?

how about other related things? belts, filters, pumps.. blah!! so much!

is there a website that describes what mileage i should replace stuff at? is the owners manual the definitive source for this kind of stuff?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
havik

Quote:
Low maintenance is another key hallmark of this engine: oil and filter replacement is the only routine service required.

Keyword is routine. As for other maintenance, I haven't experienced anything as of yet (still only about 22k km = 13.6k miles).
Old 08-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
Steve03TropicTeal

im at 23k miles with nothing yet.... but i plan on keeping this thing a while so...
Old 08-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
wy3134

If you go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, they have a sheet on the counter that has a mileage timetable of when certain maintenances and all should be done, I believe the owners manual also has a little in it about a few. This reminds me I need to change the spark plugs, havent done so in way too long.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
alerosmoke

I dont see how they mention the fuel filter, mine was clogged bad, we put a new one the other day and what a difference. also the plugs.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by wy3134@Aug 16 2004, 03:59 PM
If you go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, they have a sheet on the counter that has a mileage timetable of when certain maintenances and all should be done, I believe the owners manual also has a little in it about a few. This reminds me I need to change the spark plugs, havent done so in way too long.
Uh, I thought the 2.2 didn't have spark plugs?
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #7
havik

It does, it's just that the design eliminates the need for spark plug wires (the ignition module is mounted directly in the cylinder head cover)
Old 08-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
^ and mine broke
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
havik

^ along with everything else in these cars B) Well, I haven't noticed problems yet. What mileage you at b-spot?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #10
wy3134

Ive never had a problem with my eco, only trouble period was a bad catalytic converter that luckily was replaced right before my full warranty ran out. Either this weekend or in two weeks Ill get to replacing the spark plugs and let all know how it went.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #11
Steve03TropicTeal

not asking this in a confrontatinal way but..

why are you replacing the plugs? just cuz? or is something going wrong? The owners manual sez 100k before you need to replace plugs.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #12
wy3134

Its recommended to replace spark plugs when u change oil, although 99% dont do this. The owners manual can go to the trash because spark plugs corrode and wear a lot faster than that, and at $1.09? a plug, its a cheap maintenance to keep performance up, tests have shown bad or corroded plugs use gas quicker cause of misfiring and rough starting
Old 08-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #13
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by havik@Aug 17 2004, 03:22 PM
^ along with everything else in these cars B) Well, I haven't noticed problems yet. What mileage you at b-spot?
56000Km. But in all honesty the engine has been rock solid for me aside from this. All of my problems have been brake/suspension/hub related stuff.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #14
geedog66

you said you paid $1.09 for spark plugs your not really doing anything for your car you are actually putting in worse plugs gm puts platinum plugs on all there engines and they need no maintence till 100k
Old 09-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #15
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
i have no prob`s at all all i do is change the oil
i think the tranny fluid can go to 50,000 same with the coolant
i pulled a plug to check them out and still no prob`s
did brake job on it but no prob`s here
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #16
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
The plugs are a lil more than a dollar a plug.. they are platnums, dont forget that.
Other than oilchanges, gm doesnt want us to do any regular maintenance.
I have the getrag so the tranny is "sealed for life fluid"
Its runing dexcool so that "should be" sealed for life
i asked and they said not to change anything else at teh dealership so meh

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #17
gxryan

Well a seal went in the 5 speed tranny of my car.

and GM is gonna fix that this wednesday, I am hoping that maybe thats the cause of some of my loss of power or something, cause my mileage and power seems to be dropping down and I am not sure why.

I only got 12,000km's.

Is it possible if someone didn't reset the oil change thing on the computer that it could be running itself harder or something like that?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #18
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gxryan@Sep 11 2004, 12:26 AM
Well a seal went in the 5 speed tranny of my car.

and GM is gonna fix that this wednesday, I am hoping that maybe thats the cause of some of my loss of power or something, cause my mileage and power seems to be dropping down and I am not sure why.

I only got 12,000km's.

Is it possible if someone didn't reset the oil change thing on the computer that it could be running itself harder or something like that?
no... it could be a issue with the computer...

They do have updates for the eco... i know my tranny had to be rebuilt at 1500Km... but wut can you do...

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #19
gxryan

Quote:
no... it could be a issue with the computer...

and how would i find this out?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #20
Hasani

No plug wires!!? Ah, well that clears things up lol. I was about to ask where the spark plugs were but didn't want to sound stupid These car are really much different that the Japanese turbo cars I'm used to (3000GT, Skyline, Evo, ect).
A little over a buck for plug is cheap!! wow.. I just might change mine, since my gas mileage isn't great. Do you think that would help? Car has 44,300 miles.
Also, has anyone put Slick 50 oil treatment after an oil change? I used it in my old Prelude and it makes a difference in performance and gas mileage. Oh, and whats best for these cars? Conv. or Syneth. oil??