Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Recall we all know is an issue

Well we all know the hazard turn signal issue but I have had my Olds at the dealer a few times and they never said there was a recall or bothered to replace it.

http://repairpal.com/oldsmobile-alero-recall-03v327000
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Funny thing is that this happened to my Girlfriend's 2004 Alero where as my 2000 is perfectly fine.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Yeah I thought it was due to water or cold at first as it seemed to happen when it was super cold or raining. Happens a lot now I' am always having to push a little here or there to get it to start blinking lol.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Well though it was a recall they wont replace it now for free if it has been done previously in there records.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
negolien
GL Member

hum yeah no idea I got her with 70,000 miles on her. I haven't had it done myself but can't be too expensive.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Its about 100 for dealer to do it....

Just do it yourself.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
it isn't for all years because I took my car in and asked when it had an issue...made me a little unhappy
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
negolien
GL Member

I'd rather pay someone $100 and sit in the lobby watching Netflix on my laptop.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Dealer wouldn't do mine because my VIN wasn't on the list of affected vehicles. I was too lazy to do it. (red car)

My blue car already had it replaced it seems lol.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #10
Zach0112
GX Member

Zach0112 is on a distinguished road
It literally takes about five minutes to do. Take out the two screws located on the top of the trim piece around the gauge cluster, drop the steering wheel all the way down and finagle it out of the way. Or if you don't mind you can unplug the little button on it and just set it aside, but you will lose the trip mileage doing so. Then the center vent has two clips. They are about 3/4-1 inch from the corners on the bottom. Get two wide flat screw drivers and insert one about three inches from the side you wish to start on. You will be able to see one of the clips. Just wiggle the second screw driver in under the clip and that side will pop loose and leave that screw driver there. The first screw driver can now be slid over to the other clip to unfasten it. Pull the vent from the bottom and the whole thing will come out. Now you want to use a screw driver to pop off the trim piece around the switch. You can look inside the dash now and see three screws holding the hazard bracket in place. Those are a pain to take out. What I did instead was take a long thin finishing nail and bent it about 1/4 inch from the point. If you feel the top and bottom of the bracket you will find two little slots on the bracket where the switch snaps into place. Use one hand the push the hazard button in with a little force and use the nail to push into the slot on the bottom and the one on top. You can then push the switch into the dash and pull it out through the opening where the center vent was. Unplug, plug new one in and slide into the bracket. It'll make a snap when seated. Pop the center vent in, put trim piece back on, install the trim piece around gauge cluster and you're done. I've done mine twice, first time removing bracket and it took forever and then the second time around used this method and I think it literally took no more than 5 minutes.
Zach0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 AM   #11
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I'd rather pay someone $100 and sit in the lobby watching Netflix on my laptop.

Yeah a 15 min job... you rather pay 100 to have it replaced? Its as easy as installing a sound system.

I just dont see the point. But hey your money.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #12
Zach0112
GX Member

Zach0112 is on a distinguished road
I agree with sleepy. It's an easy job and well worth doing it yourself. Even taking the screws out of the bracket shouldn't make it more than a 20 some minute job. I did mine on a 100* day with high humidity the first time and I just got frustrated and dropped the screws haha. Second time was a couple weeks ago in - 20 something weather. Probably why I did it so quick. But really there isn't anything to can mess up. Just don't over pry on the vent and you should be good. If you get the clips right it pops right out.
Zach0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
number53alero
GX Member

number53alero is on a distinguished road
My Final 500 has this problem but nothing a little nudge here and there won't fix. I'll do it myself once it gets on my nerves and happens more frequently.
2004 Final 500 Alero #53
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/718701
1990 Cutlass Ciera Lowrider
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212170
2002 Aurora 4.0L V8
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045018
number53alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
negolien
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Yeah a 15 min job... you rather pay 100 to have it replaced? Its as easy as installing a sound system.

Yup hey I have spent the last 30 years doing my own installs from Audio equipment to transmissions. I' am just tired of it and my time is valuable. If I can afford it I'd rather pay for it.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
same with you going to the dealer for stuff

or why I paid $500 to have my hard brake lines replaced
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
negolien
GL Member

Installing the upper radiator hose with 3 tools none of which were sockets made me remember what a PITA working on your own stuff can be lol. Not to mention I live I the ghetto so last thing I need is some scumbag walking by my car looking at my crap while I' am shoved under the dash upside down lol.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #17
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
same with you going to the dealer for stuff

or why I paid $500 to have my hard brake lines replaced

I only go if I cant do it. Like alignments...
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced mine but i still find it dumb that it is claimed to be only certain years when it is all years
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I have not had this happen, but it's a common complaint over here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Anyway, if I am good at soldering (and I am) can't I just resolder this?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I dont know what the actual problem in the switch is. mine was bad when I got it. its a bit of a pain getting screwdrivers in there to hold all the clips so you can pull it out. Took me about 25 min, not to bad though nothing you cant handle yourself I would hope. A new one is $16 at o rieles and they have one with a black button and red hazard symbol (just looks a little better) its worth the few bucks and minuets just do it so it doesnt completely fail at the wrong time and you end up causing an accident or something.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote