Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
_HeC_
GX Member

_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
Getrag F23 5spd swap Guide

Want your V6 99-05 N-body with a manual transmission? It's actually rather simple to be honest, this is just a guide and NOT a step by step how to

before you even start reading let it be known you WILL need a welder or be nice to a friend with one to make a front mount lol

PART'S LIST:
00-05 N-Body 4cyl 5speed parts(2.2 or 2.4)
-Axles
-Shifter and cables
-Clutch pedal
-Transmission mounts(rear and driver side)
-Clutch master cylinder
-Clutch slave cylinder
-4cyl 5spd subframe(saves you from making a 2nd mount for the driver side)

00-02 J-body parts(2.2 only NOT ecotec)
-Getrag F23 transmission
-Flywheel
-Clutch
-Flywheel and pressure plate bolts

Mounting transmission to your subframe
The J-body F23 has the holes for N-body 5spd mounts for the rear and driver side however the rear mount needs the holes tapped for some bolts pictured below

the N-body bolts are also slightly longer then they need to be, shortened roughly 1/4" and the first 1/2" or so of the bolts have no threads so don't worry about screwing them up while cutting shorter or I guess you can use a washer or 2

For the rear mount I recommend a poly insert meant for a 5spd J-body(95+) slides right in but the bolt for the N-body is slightly thicker so you need to drill the sleeve out slightly. I purchased mine from http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/ part #7515
J-body bushing in N-body mount and sleeve drilled out(15/32" drill bit)

hopefully you have a vice to clamp the sleeve in while boring it out and remember to go SLOW and use some sort of lubricant(wd40, liquid wrench etc)

Front mount needs to be custom made, this is what I'm running

transmission mounted to 4cyl 5spd subframe

Mounting clutch pedal and shifter/cables
I gutted everything except for the dash

Extremely hard to get a picture under the dash of the clutch pedal mounted but this is a picture of all the pedals from a 4cyl/5spd N-body, EVERY N-body has that big chunk of aluminum under the dash and you can kind of see how it mounts

mounted in car

highly recommended removing your PCM/holder to install the clutch pedal, I THINK it's the only way to do it with the dash in the car still...

shifter bolts right in with no modifications and shift cables come out the same hole as your auto shift linkage

clutch master cylinder needs a 1.25" hole drilled in the firewall

those 2 bolts are there from factory once you get your fusebox out of the way, do your best to center the hole and if off slightly don't worry about it as its rather simple to get a die grinder or dremel in there to do some slight trimming also those factory bolts will be to short to bolt the master cylinder on, bring 1 to the parts store and get some 1/4" longer

interior back together for the most part, I left the automatic brake pedal and cut it to fit the 5spd brake pedal rubber
Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 AM   #2
_HeC_
GX Member

WIRING
99-01 will be this to get the starter going
Quote:
Originally Posted by timka86 View Post
The automatic transmission position switch has two plugs, this is the switch that sits on top of the shifter level on the trans.(don't have a picture of it right now)

Connector C1

and C2

On connector C1, cut and splice together the purple and yellow wires (they are the two fattest wires), G & E to allow the starter to crank..
if you have a 02+ it will still be G&E HOWEVER colors won't match that diagram, G(purple) was my 12volts with key turned and E(purple/white line) goes to the starter relay, can hook those up together to get the starter to crank or hook them up to your clutch pedal to work like a normal 5spd vehicle
02+ starter diagram

Reverse light wires are F/B on C1 connector

MISC
you MAY have to do more wiring if you don't have your PCM tuned already, I found this from the 6spd swap thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timka86 View Post
EDIT: CHANGED 5-17-08, originally i made the PCM think it's in drive. after trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that putting the transmission into neutral is the best option.
and finally to make the PCM think it's in NEUTRAL, Connector C2, that's the 4 wire connector, has a WHITE, YELLOW, GRAY, and BLACK/WHITE wires.

the way it works, is that these wires, in various combinations, ground to let the PCM know in what position the automatic transmission shifter is in. That ground wire is a BLACK/WHITE wire on the other connector, C1 (6 wire connector) CAUTION: There are two BLACK/WHITE wires.

The combination for neutral is connecting the the YELLOW and WHITE wires from C2 to the BLACK/WHITE wire from C1.

the rest of the wirse just insulate and wrap them up so they're not in the way. I left the front trans connector hanging, it didn't require any mods, so far no issues.

Also works to put the car in park, cuz technically that puts the PCM thinking it's in neutral as well, only difference is that the rev limiter in park works when the car is moving or standing still.

But when in neutral the rev limiter only works only when the car is standing still.
for me I had a tune ready to go and had my PCM flashed with HPT and never did anything else

make sure you buy NEW flywheel/pressure plate bolts, do NOT even attempt to use the automatic bolts as they are a different length
pressure plate #11508687
flywheel #ZX200

obviously don't buy a clutch for a stock 2.2 J-body lol I went with a ebay stage 3 6puck clutch with no issues so far

flywheel can actually come from any FWD 88-02 2.2/2.8/3.1 and if my research is correct same goes for a clutch so that should open up a lot of options but I stuck with the 00-02 J-body one just to play it safe first time around lol 86-87 fylwheels might be the same as well but not 100% on that

when mounting the clutch pedal I found it easier to take the pushrod off the pedal and wait to install that AFTER the pedal itself is installed in the car, insert the rod through the hole in the firewall that you drilled and snap into the clutch pedal

4cyl/5spd subframe is NOT needed but makes it slightly easier, only difference between it and the V6 frame is the mount on the drivers side for the transmission which would be rather easy to make if you can't find a frame

I did my 5spd swap for next to nothing, purchased a 5spd N-body for $350 and sold engine, trans, rims, body for scrap etc and got my $350 back plus at least another $300 to put towards my clutch/flywheel/trans

writing this up rather late so hopefully I didn't miss anything but any questions ask away and if you need more pics very good chance I already have them and never posted lol now lets see more V6 5speed swaps happening!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
for some reason the pedal spacing looks a little odd...
Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice right up man! Maybe in the future if my trans goes I'll consider this! I have a 5 speed alero sitting in the driveway so I'm halfway there haha!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Great write up! Theres a lot good info here.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
_HeC_
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
for some reason the pedal spacing looks a little odd...

I kind of thought the same thing and thought maybe it was because I didn't bother swapping in the 5spd brake pedal but then found some stock pictures of the 4 banger/5spd N-bodys and it looks the same as mine with the clutch pedal being slightly lower then the brake pedal

and thanks guys! Tim I might attempt to make more front mounts but if I do it will probably be a solid mount and not like the 1 I have in the car now with the poly... wouldn't sell them though until I can beat on one in my car when it comes back out this summer
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
_HeC_
GX Member

also it was brought to my attention that the flywheel bolts I posted in my original write up might not be the best option to go with, I haven't seen any posts about failures but ATP apparently switched to a overseas supplier now and quality control might not be as good as there older US supplier....
http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewt...hp?f=3&t=17718

no issues for me but I only have 1500kms on my swap and not sure if I got US or oversea bolts, if you didn't read the thread ATP does still have some stock of US made bolts floating around which SHOULD be better from my understanding... I plan to rip my drivetrain out shortly, if I have the US bolts I'm keeping them if not trip to the dealership or hardware store for some 10.9 bolts
Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Alerodriver17 is on a distinguished road
Anybody have any idea what to do for a pilot bearing? Got my swap started and I'm to the point of the pilot bearing and I'm not sure what to do.
Alerodriver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
_HeC_
GX Member

No pilot bearing to mess with just bolt the flywheel on and use your clutch alignment tool and should be good to go!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Thank You! Will update the forum when my swap is complete.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #11
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Just one more question, if I read this correctly,

"you MAY have to do more wiring if you don't have your PCM tuned already"

If I do the extra wiring, I won't need an ECU tune?
Old 08-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Alerodriver17
GX Member

And where did you source the part of the rear transmission mount that bolts to the trans? I can't seem to find one.