Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
03gxeco
GL Member

03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute
ugh.. car not starting but radio and lights work fine

so my alero decided it was cool to just not start. radio/lights come on, but no noise from the starter and no turn over. this couldn't have happened at a worse time. right now my checking account is negitive due to a car insurance payment and i have no money for a new battery. right now the battery is in my house warming up, im hoping that maybe it has gotten to cold and just needs some heat. i do not have a battery charger and idk where my jumper cables went.

it is also about 5 degrees outside.
03gxeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Check the battery terminals for corrosion... The battery might just no be making proper contact with the power wires. Also if you do find corrosion, I hear you can use baking soda and a hard tooth brush to remove it.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, if the battery thing doesn't work, then it's going to be your starter. This of course if you hear no cranking or anything at all.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
How many miles on the alero. I had the same problem with my car and it was the battery. Now did you open the Hood to see if you can hear the starter clicking. How old is the battery. If you have a digital multi meter you can check the battery. But worst case senerro it is the starter.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35034
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
I had a similiar issue last year turned out to be a faulty ignition switch, but charge the battery first, most likely not a passlock issue because the car would still crank, try to rule out the starter as well before u go ripping the dash apart
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
if it is a servicable battery remove the covers and make sure that the battery is full of fluid. If it needs filled then add distilled water and find a way to jump it to charge the new fluid. You use distilled water because it is 100% neutral and easily turns to an acidic state when added to the acid.

For cleaning corrosion yes a solution of baking soda and water works and I have used it many times

Last edited by 03glgold : 02-01-2013 at 06:12 PM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
03gxeco
GL Member

03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
if it is a servicable battery remove the covers and make sure that the battery is full of fluid. If it needs filled then add distilled water and find a way to jump it to charge the new fluid. You use distilled water because it is 100% neutral and easily turns to an acidic state when added to the acid.

For cleaning corrosion yes a solution of baking soda and water works and I have used it many times

I will try this. I pulled the battery to warm it up in the house. i figured it was hella cold and junk. right now its dark as a black man out so i can't do anything until tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
my van has done this a few times in the last couple of weeks... I wait about 5 minutes and try it again and it fired up like there was never a problem... have yet to figure out what the cause is, simply because it still starts a couple minutes later!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Sounds like the starter to me. Try tapping on the starter with a hammer, if it starts after that then its the starter.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
my van has done this a few times in the last couple of weeks... I wait about 5 minutes and try it again and it fired up like there was never a problem... have yet to figure out what the cause is, simply because it still starts a couple minutes later!

Happening to me as well....
Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Sounds like the starter to me. Try tapping on the starter with a hammer, if it starts after that then its the starter.

That doesn't always work. I tried that on an Infiniti, and nothing happened. It had me puzzled for a day until I noticed something was off about that starter.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
03gxeco
GL Member

i tapped the starter, and tried starting her after a few days of the battery warming up in the house. it was full of liquid so i had no reason to add water. car still wont start. it probably don't mean anything but when i turn the key the service engine light is on. the car shouldnt be doing this, it only has 100K on it now and was purchased only 6-7 months ago from a dealership
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
03gxeco
GL Member

bought a new battery and attempted to start the hoe, and once again nothing. no noise at all when i turn that key other then the fuel pump. could my passlock be effing me over?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Dude, it's the starter. I'm about 90% sure it's the starter. That sounds exactly like the Infiniti I was driving for a bit. The starter was gone. Wouldn't make any noise or anything of the sort.

The only way passlock messes you up is if it says "SECURITY" on the dash. The SES light is irrelevant when you have it on the "ON" position. All cars trigger that light for some reason. Not sure why.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
The only way passlock messes you up is if it says "SECURITY" on the dash. The SES light is irrelevant when you have it on the "ON" position. All cars trigger that light for some reason. Not sure why.

Because the motor's not running, and the monitors are all failing.

Which kind of makes sense
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
03gxeco
GL Member

it was passlock! i left the key in the on position for 15 minuites, removed the key then turned the car back on and bam started right up.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Nas Escobar
GLS member

WOW. Well I'll be... I always though "Security" would light up when that happens.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
03gxeco
GL Member

i found a website of a passlock bypass. the guys said if you "lucky" the security light will not come on but that hardly ever happens.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
Nas Escobar
GLS member

So you were the needle in the haystack then... haha
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited