Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #21
dayspring_theory
GX Member

dayspring_theory is an unknown quantity at this point
You know, there are good and bad in all makes of cars I guess. Believe me when I say that I think it's awesome your car has lasted a long time. Now, some of the things I list about my Alero may sound small to you, but in my opinion in a fairly new car it shouldn't happen. First off, which in my book is totally unacceptable in any car is the UIM/LIM failure. Second would be the oil sending unit failure. I've never heard of one "busting". Oil was pouring from under my car. Next in line, not as bad but still an issue, was both front wheel hubs. Also, I need to replace another one due to the ABS sensor going out, but it's an aftermarket part. No biggie. Smaller things which was aggravating were the driver's side windshield trim falling off on its own, all three knobs for the climate control unit stripped, security light coming on (hasn't done that for a while), both windows do not roll up and down anymore (I'll be honest, that may be my own fault!). I must admit that maintenance was not as good as it should have been due to my medical conditions. I really should have done the UIM/LIM fix sooner. It could be that it along with the recent loss of oil combined together and caused the issue I have now. I felt I took good care of this car, but perhaps I didn't.
dayspring_theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #22
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I've never heard of the oil pressure sensor just blowing apart. It usually leaks slowly.

Same here, but if it were a carppy replacement oil sending unit made of plastic, often sold at palces like Advance Auto/Autozone/Pep Boys and made in China, nothing would suprize me.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Wheel hubs are one of the biggest sellers in auto parts, regardless of make/model. Window motors, regulators come in a close second. Those types of things occur on every vehicle that has power windows or hub/bearing assemblies. Those that don't have an entire assembly, people replace the bearings every time the rotor is changed. It's a matter of maintenance and the way cars are designed nowadays prevents you from doing certain usual maintenance items like that.

The UIM/LIM is a weak gasket issue that the 3400 and other V6s encounter from the factory; the 4-cylinders have no issues.

Maybe I got one of the cars built on a good day... lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
Spike440
GX Member

Spike440 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wheel hubs are one of the biggest sellers in auto parts, regardless of make/model. Window motors, regulators come in a close second. Those types of things occur on every vehicle that has power windows or hub/bearing assemblies. Those that don't have an entire assembly, people replace the bearings every time the rotor is changed. It's a matter of maintenance and the way cars are designed nowadays prevents you from doing certain usual maintenance items like that.

The UIM/LIM is a weak gasket issue that the 3400 and other V6s encounter from the factory; the 4-cylinders have no issues.

Maybe I got one of the cars built on a good day... lol

Mine must be a friday car when it was built in lansing
Spike440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #25
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Wheel hubs are one of the biggest sellers in auto parts, regardless of make/model. Window motors, regulators come in a close second.

I've never had to replace any of these, execpt for one window regulator that I broke the plastic gears tryig to open the window when it was frozen.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote