Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
hmm what to do, what to do.

Sooo I've had my alero for almost 2 years now I believe, and I need some advice from you. I don't know much about transmissions (besides the fact that the one in my first car, my explorer, was crap).. I don't know what a "slip" is exactly or anything like that. But ever since I got my alero, it has always done this thing when shifting into second. When I accelerate kind of fast, you can hear it try to shift, but it stops for a second.. I'm not really sure how to explain it haha. It's like you can hear and feel it stop accelerating, but the RPM's stay up there for about a second or two before it actually shifts to second and continues to accelerate. This has been absolutely no big deal to me this whole time, since it hasn't gotten worse at all. I should also mention that sometimes it kinda "clunks" when I put it into gear (mostly reverse). But, like I said, I've never had a big problem.

Ok, they're not a big problem, so why am I bringing it up like a noob? Well I saw in the paper this guy selling his working 3400 with the transmission. His car was hit in the side/rear area and was totaled. Now I have no idea how many miles are on either one, but he's selling the pair for 300. I was just wondering if the problem with my transmission may turn out to be bigger than I think? Since I don't know much. Wouldn't wanna pass on this deal if I'm going to need it a little ways down the road.

I would greatly appreciate your input . Sorry for the long post... I like to be detailed
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
How many miles on your trans? A fluid change could always help. I have 143,000 really hard miles on mine and it still works pretty well *knock on wood. 300 is a deal but I have a hard time spending money on parts i might need. Thats a tough call. It does sound like your trans is starting to slip but pending mileage a fluid flush may help that.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
99alerogirl
Female.

I have about 114500 on it, assuming it's the same tranny that came in the car, which is probable. And I have a hard time buying those kinds of parts as well, which is why I'm turning to you haha. I was going to get the transmission flushed the other day but wasn't sure if I could just find out how to do it... I know when we had it done on my explorer we took it somewhere to do it, is that necessary? Or can someone with some car intelligence pull it off? As I said, I know nothing about transmissions. Absolutely nothing.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
You won't get the full amount flushed if you attempt yourself. You need to have the filter and tranny fluid changed and a tranny service will be the best you could do. Make sure they do a filter change at the same time. It'll run you about 70-100

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
jaxalero
GX Member

jaxalero is on a distinguished road
I would also look at the Air Intake Sensor. Same stuff that your explaining happened to mine. The AIS was fine, but the wires were jacked up. Search this site and there should be a diagram for you. Wires and Sensor would total about $30
jaxalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
AGT and Jax have good points. The reverse clunk sounds like an IAT or MAF problem but the over rev before shifting points to trans. I would have it flushed first then if the problem continues you can consider the other trans. Make sure to ask the shop if they notice anything in particular when doing the flush. Mine was done at 110,000 and the tech said that he doubted it had ever been done, some of the nastiest fluid he had seen come from a trans. It performed better afterwards.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
$300 is a good deal, but do you really want to spend money on something you may not need? Also, do you have a place to keep that stuff? A transmission can only go in the bathtub if you live in a single wide. It's in the Redneck Constituiton

Try the other stuff first, but don't wait too long in case you do need a new tranny so you can jump on this deal if need be.
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
99alerogirl
Female.

yeah thanks everyone for the suggestions... won't have time to get stuff done until friday though with class and work. and yeah I would have a place to put it... my parents have an extra detatched garage that only has a 1969 gto and a 47 chevy in it... and a lot of extra room

woohoo 100th post! haha
Old 01-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be happy to take the GTO out of the way to make more room....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I will take the 47 Chevy

BTW, Check the wires first. Just to make sure because you always want to do cheapest repairs 1st.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
I think I see what yer sayin' ... its not really a slip, but more of a really slow shift.

this happens to me whenever I unplug my battery from the car and reconnect it, or if the battery dies, something in the computer (PCM) controls the "stiffnes" of the shift, and my PCM being aftermarket, it pretty much reverts to stock untill it learns my driving habits..

how do you normally drive your car? putt putt around alot? get on it any?

a slip would be when you put your foot into it, it gains alot of RPM without actually going anywhere.. this is when I decided it was time for a fluid change, but seeing as you may have the original fluid after 100+ thousand miles.. a change of fluid wouldn't hurt..

my last tranny "flush" (more of a change.. no pressure used, just pumped at low pressure till it came out clean) took 25 (twenty five) quarts of tranny fluid lol, slippage is gone, shifts are nice and firm, and it goes into R / D just fine.

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #12
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
for $300 i'd pick it up for sure, nothing wrong with having extra parts, shit i have a whole extra alero....and who knows how many engine parts, i think last count I have 4 3400 blocks, 2 3500 blocks, numerous UIM and LIM of both varietes, and about 7 sets of 3400 heads, and a whole shit ton of other crap.......
Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
99alerogirl
Female.

wow you have a lot of parts! problem is 300 isn't like pocket change to me... it won't break me either, but that's what makes it a hard decision.

and i've tried to get my parents to help me restore the GTO (it's just the body, no engine or tranny), but they want to do the chevy first. i just wanna slap a 455 in the goat and call it a day... it's rust-free!

and to answer the question about how I drive... it just depends really. I tend to accelerate a little quicker than most, but nothing too crazy. i've accelerated fast enough to see the tranny problem enough times to know it's a potential problem so yeah haha... I like to think my getting 17 mpg in the city is due to reasons out of my control, though that probably isn't the case
Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
whiteliquid
Defeat < Giving Up

whiteliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to whiteliquid Send a message via Yahoo to whiteliquid
mine was doing that and only thing wrong with it was a cam postion sensor...which fixed the problem. so idk. Are you throwing any codes?

300 is a steal even if you dont need the parts. you can scrap the car for about that if u dont need it.

WhiteLiquid
whiteliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
99alerogirl
Female.

nope I've never thrown a code since I've owned her *knock on wood.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #16
whiteliquid
Defeat < Giving Up

whiteliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to whiteliquid Send a message via Yahoo to whiteliquid
flush it then...

WhiteLiquid
whiteliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
99alerogirl
Female.

yep, that's probably first on the list, after checking those wires. But it'll have to wait til at least friday unfortunately. I may call the guy tomorrow and see if he still has the tranny, just to make sure it's still available. It was in today's paper too though, so we'll see. If anything I could have an extra engine and tranny that I'm sure I can find some use for haha.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
cliffordwoeller
You got beat by an Alero!

cliffordwoeller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cliffordwoeller Send a message via MSN to cliffordwoeller Send a message via Yahoo to cliffordwoeller
i prob need to do a flush i have had it for a year and it has 13300 on it so yeah might need to do that ................lemme be a noob..... when your ho throws codes is that mean when you have a computer hooked up to it or is it like some of the older cars where you turn the ignition so many times and then something flashes or something the will tell you codes ....?
cliffordwoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #19
99alerogirl
Female.

nah it's when the SVS light comes on and you get it hooked up to the computer... that'll tell you the codes. I usually go to autozone, they do a basic check for free! had to make a million trips in my sebring, haven't had to yet for my ho *knock on wood
Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #20
InFaMoUs_ALERO_210
GX Member

InFaMoUs_ALERO_210 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to InFaMoUs_ALERO_210
mine did the same thing engine light kept coming off so i plugged the comp for it to read the code and it was my camshaft sensor which controls the shifting timing for the tranny and it worked i have about 175,000 miles on it and it can still smoke hondas and mustangs i keep the ho in the best shape and it still runs as good as new im a auto mecanick helper so it comes in handy when ever i got troubles jaja and my friend rebuilds trannys so im covered
InFaMoUs_ALERO_210 is offline   Reply With Quote