Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
Full EGR delete question

So My egr tube has a hole in it. The tube is 78.00 So I'm saying screw it I'll just delete my egr. My plans are to block the hole out of the manifold. And put a restriction plate between the egr and the manifold, and then unplug the egr. I know I will then gain a check engine light, no worry's theres no check engine light bulb SO my question is if anyone else has any other type of egr delete kit. And if they have engine ping at all. or any negatives about it. And I know all the benifits of it lower intake temp.. etc etc. I'm not caring about performance. Im trying to be cheap
Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
The main purpose of the egr is to lower combustion temperature to reduce the NOx emissions... by introducing a little of burned gas to the mix of fresh air and gas....... your car will pollute more if you remove it but it won't affect driveability at all because 70% of the time the egr is closed anyway... and nobody never notice when it opens... except if it fails and open like at idle and makes the car stalls...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I heard 2 things about ERG blocking and I don't know if they are true. Maybe somebody can chime in on it:

1 No EGR equals much lower MPG's

2 No EGR equals a lot of power

Confused

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
so it'll run rich then?
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
mfuller

Okay....the EGR does serve to lower emissions a bit. It does this by re-routing unburnt hydrocarbons in your exhaust back into the intake manifold.

To address Ken's questions:

1. Your MPG will decrease slightly (1 or 2 MPG).

2. You will notice litttle (if any) increase in performance. This is because the EGR valve is open and re-circulating only at idle and cruise, not at WOT.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Okay....the EGR does serve to lower emissions a bit. It does this by re-routing unburnt hydrocarbons in your exhaust back into the intake manifold.

To address Ken's questions:

1. Your MPG will decrease slightly (1 or 2 MPG).

2. You will notice litttle (if any) increase in performance. This is because the EGR valve is open and re-circulating only at idle and cruise, not at WOT.

Exactly. It keeps your intake manifold a hell of a lot cleaner as well. That is the main reason most Lightning owners do it.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
bkathsalero
GL Member

From what I hear the only performance aspect of it is that you keep intake air cooler because you don't have the 1000+ degree exhaust air entering. And like said I know it does not make a difference at wot, and thats usually the point of time your looking for power
Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkathsalero View Post
From what I hear the only performance aspect of it is that you keep intake air cooler because you don't have the 1000+ degree exhaust air entering. And like said I know it does not make a difference at wot, and thats usually the point of time your looking for power

right, it wont heat soak as quickly, and you will be able to maintain a lower intake charge temperature.

mpg should go down more than just 1 or 2, if you have a cai, because the air isnt heated up nearly as much in the intake plenum, so when your car detects cooler it it delivers more fuel to compensate.

so in essence you do run a little buit more rich for average driving.

but in my opinion having a oil catch and EGR delete = clean intake ports in your manifolds as well as cylinder head.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
I have NEVER seen lower MPG from no EGR. Consider this. The EGR pollutes the combustion chamber and builds up on the back of the intake valve. This build up lowers flow and absorbs some fuel it passes through. If you run seafoam or GM Top Engine Cleaner through the manifolds and follow the directions, the valves will be clean and you will see improved efficiency with the EGR off.

You will see no power increase from simply disabling the EGR. You must clean up the crap that has built up first and then you might see the difference.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
lol gm engineering

hay at least you get some gold flake in there eh?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
bkathsalero
GL Member

Thanks ben, And yes EVERYTHING IS CLEAN!! I have 2.6 miles on the new heads, and cleaned the manifolds when off. Noticed the egr leak and parked it.

I'm happy with +power -power +mpg -mpg I don't care as long as theres no engine ping as the old timer at my shop told me I would get. This is me being cheap on the almost last part the car needs I've decided to be cheap after throwing almost 3500 bucks at the car
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Good topic
Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
You should disable the EGR in the computer for the best setup, but it won't knock or ping or blow shit up. Emissions devices are not necessary for engine operation, and are programmed as such.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
bkathsalero
GL Member

Thats what I wanted to hear!!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:42 AM   #15
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alero- View Post
right, it wont heat soak as quickly, and you will be able to maintain a lower intake charge temperature.

mpg should go down more than just 1 or 2, if you have a cai, because the air isnt heated up nearly as much in the intake plenum, so when your car detects cooler it it delivers more fuel to compensate.

so in essence you do run a little buit more rich for average driving.

While your theory about a lower intake charge temp makes sense, your car "detects cooler" doesn't jive.

The IAT sensor is upstream of the manifold, usually located prior to the TB, the air temp sensor picks up temp well before the manifold, thus, changes in the manifold temp should not directly effect the fuel delivery. The only thing that shy of the IAT, MAP, and MAF that will have an effect on fuel delivery after the TB is your O2 readings after the mixture is already burned.

The charge density will increase with the cooler manifold temp, but your fuel quantity has already been calculated based on IAT(pre-manifold)/MAP/MAF/O2 up to that point. It will be slightly skewed and probably a little on the lean side based on existing calibrations in the fuel tables designed to work with original equipment and conditions. The O2 readings will shift the tables to enrich the mixture because of detecting the lean condition. Not because of "detecting cooler".

Same end result, but for a different reason. Together, we can find the answer!

Fuel calculations are as such (put basically):
Injector Pulse Width sets the base fuel delivery vs. MAP scale
MAP vs. RPM = major calculation
MAF signal = medium calculation
IAT, O2, Coolant temp = fine-tune (along with a couple of other parameters)

I was in a hurry when I jammed this out, so somebody point it out if I omitted an important detail.

Bottom line, just make sure you pull your EGR blocking plate and reconnect everything prior to vehicle inspection. While you may not have a CES or SES, your PCM will still throw the code, and the inspection stations that have an OBDII scanner will catch it. To get rid of the code, you have to disable reporting of those codes in the PCM, and that will require a PCM reflash. If you order a custom PCM or get one of the two tuners out there, you can ask them to turn off the reporting of certain codes.

Check with Ben at WOT-Tech. I think he has EGR blocking plates.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #16
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

Yes, I have the plates to block off the EGR.

The ignition timing changes based on EGR % on OBD1. We don't have nearly the code to check out on OBD2 to know what the specifics are.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
bkathsalero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post

Bottom line, just make sure you pull your EGR blocking plate and reconnect everything prior to vehicle inspection. While you may not have a CES or SES, your PCM will still throw the code, and the inspection stations that have an OBDII scanner will catch it. To get rid of the code, you have to disable reporting of those codes in the PCM, and that will require a PCM reflash. If you order a custom PCM or get one of the two tuners out there, you can ask them to turn off the reporting of certain codes.

We have no vehicle inspections in MN
Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ You know you say that, but usually if it's in there from the factory, it has to be in there.

You take the car to a shop and it's not in there, you may get in some trouble

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
bkathsalero
GL Member

I work at an ASE certified shop. Gm master techs, all the shinanigans. MN is very lenient with pollution. I was running no cat for awhile and was only getting noise complaint, cops would ask "what did you do cut the cat out, I'd say yea, They would look at me like I'm a retarded kid and tell me to fix it" I also have mismatching vins between the vin plate and pcm. The gm dealership I went to my second time told me to make a note by the door sticker with the vehicle's info saying Pcm does not match body.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #20
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

I just put a cat on my 92 grand prix car cause it was a track car before and the previous owner didnt run one. So much better now. There is simply no excuse not to run a cat on a street vehicle. Emissions are more than government/state regulations. It is the air we breathe and have to live with. The EGR is not necessary for clean air, but the cat is.