Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
Question Change Oil Light.

I have had my 3400 alero for about 2 years now. From day one I have put synthetic oil in it at every oil change. When I change my oil, I always reset the "change Oil" light. Here's the wierd thing, it never comes on. In the two years I've had it, never seen it come on. I change the oil at 3,000 miles. I know it works from when I reset it. Why is it not coming on? Anyone have any ideas? It doesn't really hurt anything, just found that kind of odd. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
This might give you a bit more insight on how your change oil light works:
http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...145efa6b30.pdf

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
mmorello82
GX Member

Ok. So I read all of that, and here's the other question. Should I really wait for it to come on. I guess I am programmed to do it every 3,000 so it is hard for me to grasp going further. It mentions 7500 to 8500 miles. WOW! What's the opinion here?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I change the Corolla every 5,000 with mobil 1. For the bravada I wait for the oil percentage to get to 30ish. The alero I haven't changed the oil on since the motor has gone back into it.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
On the LD9, the light comes on exactly at 3,000 miles no matter what. I tested it.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
Ok. So I read all of that, and here's the other question. Should I really wait for it to come on. I guess I am programmed to do it every 3,000 so it is hard for me to grasp going further. It mentions 7500 to 8500 miles. WOW! What's the opinion here?

You don't have to wait for it to come on.. It's all by preference.. Unless the oil change system in your vehicle is faulty, then there isn't any reason for it to fail you.

If feel like you don't want to wait 8000 miles then don't. I usually go by every 3000 KM or 3 months, but this winter I'll probably rely on the light.. And the every 3000 miles system was created in 1968 as well according to that article.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
On the LD9, the light comes on exactly at 3,000 miles no matter what. I tested it.

Well your car does see a different driving style. My 2.4 auto grand am was around 4500-5000. My alero was pretty quick around 3500 once, i was having to much fun with the 5-speed.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I just wait for the light to come on. On my beater, I change it every 7,500 miles, with generic synthetic oil and a Purolator filter (most recent was the pureone filter). IMO, changine oil every 3000 miles is a waste of money.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfast321 View Post
Well your car does see a different driving style.
When I say "I tested it" I mean I tested it. I've owned the car since 2005 and regardless of what was going on with the car, it was always 3,000 exact.

Low throttle, high throttle, summer, winter, N/A, supercharged, turbo, always the same. This car does not appear to calculate anything based on sensors.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

^ Thats strange. Do you have a GX or GL? Maybe it wasn't a standard feature? But it wouldn't make sense why it would be a trim specific feature.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

base model GX
Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
our light is by mileage only. if you want oil monitor system, you need to step up to Caddy, Corvette, GXP level Grand Prix. I know those are actually calculated by driving habits and mileage. Even on the new CTS GM messed up. They set the change lamp to 7500Kms which has led to a lot of warranty work. At first it was a timing chain replacement job, now they just re-flash the PCM to have the lamp illuminate at 5000Kms. So, following GM's lead as to when to change oil is a mistake. The only real way to know when to really change your oil is to test it! There are companies that will test your used oil and send you a full analysis of their findings. Through someone like that is the only true way I know of to find what's right for you.
Since we are the topic of oil, something else to add, in the 4 bangers I am not sure of this but in the 3400's I am. Don't use full syn in the 3400's. Use semi-syn or conventional. The semi-syn will give the protection you are looking for and will also suspend a carbon particle "properly" so when you do your oil change you are not leaving a bunch of carbon in the bottom of your pan. I went through this, used full syn for 4 years and when we took the oil pan off it was bloody caked in the bottom with carbon. This made no sense to me what so ever! When I inquired as to what the hell was going on I was informed that these motors produce carbon, a bit of blow by past the rings especially at start up before the pistons heat and seat the rings against the cylinder walls. All of this carbon was settling to the bottom of the pan as apparently a full syn oil doesn't hold carbon worth a dam! I use nothing but semi-syn and have not had even a sign of this issue since. I know a lot of you are about to go though the roof, but this is just my personal experience talking here.

Last edited by MMGT1 : 11-18-2011 at 12:31 PM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
mmorello82
GX Member

Thats interesting. Well, I will try conventional or semi-syn on my next change and see what happens. I think I am going to wait for the light to come on. If it doesn't come on at 5,000 miles, then I will probably change it. When I do, I will try conventional or semi-syn and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the input. I know oil can be a touchy subject for some!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Take a sample of the oil at 3,000 and then at 5,000. I think its around 25 bucks for the test. That way you'll know for sure! I am going to see if I can find that company again and post it for you.
Read this while you wait... hahahaha

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm
Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
MMGT1
GLS member

Here you go dude:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

In all seriousness though, if you want to know when to change your oil, and if you are using the right stuff, this is your answer.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #16
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
^ Thats strange. Do you have a GX or GL? Maybe it wasn't a standard feature? But it wouldn't make sense why it would be a trim specific feature.

GL here
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
mmorello82
GX Member

Thanks MMGT1. I am going to do that!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
My Change oil light hasn't come on for about 1.5 years now. Since ASS '10 till ASS '11, I put 7400 miles on the car. If I only drive back and forth to work and nothing else, I'll only put 1200 miles on the car in a year

Still still that's over 10,000 miles and no "Change Oil" light. I change my oil every 3 months or 3000 miles in every car I've ever owned. I used to put abot 2500 to 2900 miles between oil changes when I was still married.

I use Mobil 1 syn with either a Wix or ACDelco (American, non e-core) oil filter. I found some American ACDelco filters at my local Advanced Auto Parts about a month ago. I bought all PF 47's and PF 61's (Delta) on the shelf, yeah all 4 of them, 2 47's and 2 61's

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #19
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
mine is on but i ignore i i change mine every 3000 miles with mobile 1 synthetic and AC delco PF52 filter
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
MMGT1
GLS member

From studies Ive seen, and tearing a few open at the dealership, the conclusion seems to be that WIX is one of the best made today. The Delco filters we are getting here now are not very good at all