Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
elpuas3000
GX Member

elpuas3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
an oil filter question...

Wich filter is better a stp oil filter or a acdelco oil filter and why?
elpuas3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
umm a filter is a filter.... I don't think it really matters as they both do the same thing..... Get whichever is cheaper...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Don't listen to cav. The oil filter is very important. I would go with a K&N, Mobile 1, or the AC Delco, they all filter out particals very well.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
elpuas3000
GX Member

elpuas3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Don't listen to cav. The oil filter is very important. I would go with a K&N, Mobile 1, or the AC Delco, they all filter out particals very well.
ohh ok then so next time that i change the oil am going to buy the acdelco because is blue... Today when i went to autozone i bought the stp (blue)lol...
elpuas3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i usually go fram, since they are uber easy to get on and off. seem to work just fine for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
acdelco because they have some flowback thing that others don't and if u don't have that ur engine is starved for oil for a very short time right when it is started.
That is for a 2.4 tho but its posible your might need the same thing. but unless your hardcore racing AC is still just as good as anything else.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I just don't see any difference between them. I go getine changed by someone anyways so it doesn't matter to me. LOL
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
acdelco because they have some flowback thing that others don't and if u don't have that ur engine is starved for oil for a very short time right when it is started.
That is for a 2.4 tho but its posible your might need the same thing. but unless your hardcore racing AC is still just as good as anything else.

I think most of them do have an anti-drainback valve, but the ACDelco is a different (superior in most tests) design. The quality of the fram filters is questionable because of their cardboard ends on the filter media. The others are metal.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
WIX filters!

I always had an oil consumption problem with my motor, even after LIMG replacement.

I used a WIX filter and there is no more problem... SO I tried again next oil change, same result. Did a cheap walmart oil change (Took it in and they put on their cheap filter/oil) and I got oil consumption again. Back to WIX, no problem...

There is a difference in filtration, methods and amounts of filtration. Dont kid yourself.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
I saw a thing on Fram filters talking about the same thing Cliff was speaking about...they are junk...
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
I go ACDelco whenever possible, but most places around me don't carry it any more, except by special order. That requires planning for an oil change...that just doesn't work for me. I'll second WIX, however. That's my second preference, a close second. They have a good reputation and I've never had any problems. I am passionate about AVOIDING Purolator. Damn Purolator oil filter came apart on my parents 67 Vette and wiped out the engine. Never again! Also on a side note, I normally use the PF52 filter instead of the normal PF47 for my 3400. Used it on every oil change I've ever done on the car.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
My favortie used to be motorcraft but i had to switch to wix now, id swear by them to!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
i ALWAYS use AC delco, ive used the AC delco filters for the last 5 oil changes and no problems.

and cherri, any oil filter is easy to get off, you just cant tighten them too much. I can get my oil filter off with my hand.... i just use a little force and it comes loose.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I would like to see that Fram filter article if anyone has it cause I exclusively use Fram, and if they are junk then I will switch right away.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

There is a site out there where a guy has tested many oil filters on his vehicle. Cut aways of a new filter, and a used filter. Measurments of the metal particles in the oil.

Its out there... dont know where though. Seen it a year or so back.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Think I found it but I havent' seen any photos on here. Check it out!http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Here's a better one:

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

That second one is pretty damn good may want to post this in the general performance thread.

Last edited by lonnie : 05-07-2008 at 01:00 PM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Beat you by 3mins lol
Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I use the ACDelco PF47 in the Alero and PF24 in the Delta.

I use a K&N once and it leaked and for $11 I figured it wasn't worth it to buy again.

I use Nissan filters in the wife's Altima, I don't like them, but they seal really well, ACDelcos for her car are a speical order, but they seal differently than the Nissan ones do. The Nissan ones are almost like a rubberband for the seal

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #20
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
just read an article on oil filtration based on brand damn

follow the titans