Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
kROntast1c
GX Member

kROntast1c is on a distinguished road
Painted emblems

So I'm planning on painting my emblems but I'm wondering how the best way to do this would be. I am planning on taping off where the emblems are, then taking them off then sanding and painting them. My major concern would be placing them back on after. Would the original glue still be sticky enough to attach them or would I have to reapply some other type of glue, and if this is the case which glue would work best?
kROntast1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
clear silicone would work to re-adhere them
Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Hectic
GX Member

Hectic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kROntast1c View Post
So I'm planning on painting my emblems but I'm wondering how the best way to do this would be. I am planning on taping off where the emblems are, then taking them off then sanding and painting them. My major concern would be placing them back on after. Would the original glue still be sticky enough to attach them or would I have to reapply some other type of glue, and if this is the case which glue would work best?

Super thin 3M double sided tape.
The only one you could probably line up perfectly would be the front since it is indented in the body.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Tuse31
GX Member

Tuse31 is on a distinguished road
Taping off where they were would be a good plan. Also, get the red industrial 3M mounting tape. It has a 5 lb. hold once it sets. Cutting that thin to shapes would be time-consuming. I suggest the silicon idea. Because you can heat that up again if you dont get them back on right the first time. Good luck! I'm excited to see what they look like finished.
Tuse31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
I've never tried this but it's an idea. Use double stick tape and some thick cardboard and surround your emblems as tightly as you can before taking them off. Then when you put them back on you just stick them in the same pocket (they should go back in the same), then remove the cardboard.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
or instead of taking them off tape off around them and inside them and paint them on the car. just my .02

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
when i first got my car i painted my emblems. when i took them off, the residue left around the edge of the adhesive tape was enough for me to line them back up when i put them on. so you may not have to do anything.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
ccsmith87
GX Member

ccsmith87 is on a distinguished road
I would paint them on the car. Just get an exacto knife and some tape and go at 'er.
ccsmith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
This is what i would do..... you do whatever is easiest for you though!

1.) put a nice long piece of tape ABOVE & UNDER the emblems before removing them....so you have something to line them up with when putting them back on. Make sure the gap between the emblems and the tape is the same all the way across so your emblems go back on straight...

2.) take off the emblems by heating them evenly then go behind them with a piece of floss or fishing line....

3.) after their off get all the tape that is still on the car off by rubbing it with your finger, or by using goo-gone.... DONT POLISH IT or else when you go to put them back on they wont stick.

4.) get all or most of the tape off the back of the emblems.....sand them, paint them....clear them if u want.....then allow to dry obviously lol

5.) like someone else said GET THE 3M SKINNY DOUBLE SIDED TAPE. And have a razor blade handy so u can put the tape on the back of the emblems and cut the excess tape off. You may need some adhesion promotor, but u prob dont wanna spend all that money on that and use it once so i would lightly sand the back of the emblems with some 400 or 600 grit so the tape has something to adhere to.

6.) put the emblems back on and make sure their evenly spaced on the top and bottom AND in between each letter.

What i like to do when i had to re-use emblems was to get a thick piece of tape and put the emblems on it face down....make sure their spaced good, then go and put them on the car.....when you put them on the first time dont press down really hard....set them on the car lightly so if u did mess up u can pull it back off without having to get behind it again with the floss.

Hope this helped.....good luck. Post pics when done.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
kROntast1c
GX Member

so i painted my emblems today, kinda pissed at how they turned out. did which turns out to be a "rush" job. they look good from afar but up close you see the many imperfections. im fine with them now, but ill eventually have to redo them. i would post pictures but i dont know how to that

Last edited by kROntast1c : 10-13-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kROntast1c View Post
so i painted my emblems today, kinda pissed at how they turned out. did which turns out to be a "rush" job. they look good from afar but up close you see the many imperfections. im fine with them now, but ill eventually have to redo them. i would post pictures but i dont know how to that

did u leave them on the car?

did you sand them before painting?

did you AT LEAST clean them before painting them? lol
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
kROntast1c
GX Member

I left my rear ones on the car. I didn't sand. But I did clean them. I'll probably just take em off tomorow and do it right the second time.