Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #1
AleroMike87
GX Member

AleroMike87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2001 Manual Shift Knob

theres some extreme confusion about weather the 01 shift knob comes off or not, does it come off with extreme force or is the whole knob 1 peice...

another question, how do u remove the anoying feature where you have to put your car into reverse before removing the key.
AleroMike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 AM   #2
sburke
GL Member

sburke is an unknown quantity at this point
It will come off. You have to twist it really hard. I turned mine to the right while pulling up, that seemed to work best. It's heatformed on there with these little spiked grooves. You'll see what I mean when you get the knob off.
To get rid of the reverse "lock" mechanism... take off the cover and shift boot. Reach down into your shifter area and disconnect the cable with the little orange clip on it. If I can find a picture I will post it up.
sburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
AleroMike87
GX Member

AleroMike87 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks i got the orange clip off, but when i did the little white plastic peice with the spring and ball poped out, still works fine thou. as for the shifter, couldnt get it off, ive heard from other ppl on this site that the 01 shift knob doesnt come off.

thanks
AleroMike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
it does come off...you just gotta twist and pull up...its sank on there into a million lil splines that just dont let go
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
fraser89
GX Member

fraser89 is on a distinguished road
Once the stock knob is off what is left? I mean how do I go about replacing the knob with an aftermarket type once it comes off?
15% Tint All Around, Cleared Corners, CAI, Reverse Halo Gauges, Led Side Markers, Monroe Struts, Eurolite Xenon Fusion 9005s/9006s, Custom Badging, Jensen 7" Touchscreen, Stinger Wiring, MTX Tc6001 Amp, x2 12" Infinity Perfects
fraser89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
You're probably better off getting a B&M, Fidanza, etc... shifter if you have the $$$. You'll get shorter throws as a benefit.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #7
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
On mine, there was no way the stock knob would come out. I had to cut the effer with a metal saw. I just cant remember why I cut it out though, since I got a complete short shifter assembly

Edit : Oh yeah there was a part that had to pass on the up part of the shifter but the knob was in the way.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
fraser89
GX Member

fraser89 is on a distinguished road
Let me rephrase, if I want to keep the stock shifter can I put an aftermarket nob on it?
15% Tint All Around, Cleared Corners, CAI, Reverse Halo Gauges, Led Side Markers, Monroe Struts, Eurolite Xenon Fusion 9005s/9006s, Custom Badging, Jensen 7" Touchscreen, Stinger Wiring, MTX Tc6001 Amp, x2 12" Infinity Perfects
fraser89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroMike87 View Post
another question, how do u remove the anoying feature where you have to put your car into reverse before removing the key.

I have a have a short shifter. When I took the original shifter out I just disconnected the small cable on the bottom right of the shifter assembly (as stated above). the new shifter did not incorporate the option for the reverse lock. There is an extra small rod that extends from the original shifter to ensure that it locks in place after the key was removed. Not a big deal though. I assumed that this option was not extended to the aftermarket model to maintain compatibility with the cavalier/sunfire models.

As for the shift knob.. there was no way that mine was coming off. I huffed and I puffed... but no luck. I am pretty sure that in order to replace the shifter the knob had to be removed to save the plastic retainer that holds it in place. If you're not too concerned about the old shift knob you may have to use a wrench. As far as I'm aware the shift knob is removable on all models though. You just need to show it whose Boss
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser89 View Post
Once the stock knob is off what is left? I mean how do I go about replacing the knob with an aftermarket type once it comes off?

you are left with a right hand threaded rod and the reverse collar. I think that alot of the aftermarket knobs that you can buy are fastened with small allen screws. Most wont work well with the reverse lockout on our shifters. You can buy an aftermarket weighted shift knob that is compatible with the reverse lockout.
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Get a short shifter and a fancy knob. end of story.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote