Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #21
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
I used the Spectre stuff to fab a true CAI and have been happy so far. Because of the supercharger nobody makes a setup that will work for me so I had to piece something together. Mine goes from the intake towards the battery area (battery in trunk) and then down through the opening by the washer fluid bottle and then around towards the front. Air filter is behind 'fog' light opening next to the ABS controller. Works very well in the dry/warm seasons, for winter I put on a short stack w/K&N for a WAI...

Next step: Use a sharpie to draw a line across all of the joints. Dis-assemble, remove from car and then re-assemble using the marks to restore the shape. Take to my metal fabricator and have aluminum bent to match. This is mostly due to my fear that the plastic may weaken/fail with age.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
idk, i guess i just kinda think of the spectre kit as like plumbing when it gets cold pvc doesn't exactly break every time and if treated like pvc when assembling it should be leak free if done right and sealed properly.... idk if anyone else thinks im looking at this wrong its all good its just my oppinion

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #23
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
The key to the Spectre stuff is getting it assembled PROPERLY. There should be rubber O-Rings included with each piece to seal the joints. I found it worked best if I used rubber cement to secure the O-Ring in place on the end of each piece before I clamped the next one on. Done this way it is airtight and makes a good smooth airway. Because they are molded pieces there are no crumpled sections in the corners which is common with bent tubing. Also you can build in a lot more curves than you could with aluminum to get the routing you want. Many parts places will loan/rent you a kit with multiple pieces in it so that you can get a setup figured out before buying anything, a nice thing. Realistically there shouldn't be any stress placed on these parts anyhow so strength isn't really an issue.

No, I'm not a huge fan and will be 'upgrading'. But for many people the stuff works fine, it just looks kinda cheesy. Maybe paint it to cover the 'chrome'??
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #24
Alerojester
GL Member

well if i do go that route i will be painting all the parts blue or black idk yet

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #25
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
ive never seen them with chrome, all I have seen was just reg ABS plastic black
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
Alerojester
GL Member

around here they are plastichrome

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG

Last edited by Alerojester : 03-05-2011 at 10:14 AM.