Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

View Poll Results: which is better?
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
aleroboyKK

hmm i want to know the pros and cons about both of them, i thought i know but it seems alot of people here have turbo's and no superchargers... need some guidance on this situation.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Silverknight

if u're looking for lots of power, go turbo, if u want something thats more practical for everyday use but not as much potential go super... it all depends on how much power u want and how much money you are willing to spend. Generally though a good guideline is Turbo a 4 banger super V6 and blow a V8
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Quote:
Originally posted by aleroboyKK@May 26 2005, 02:03 PM
i thought i know but it seems alot of people here have turbo's and no superchargers... need some guidance on this situation.

I like the Supercharger better. And I actaully cant recall a member with a turbo in his/her Alero, I can't remember if Germ does or if its just his Monte. I am sure some one will tell me different but I have never seen any pics.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
Quote:
Originally posted by Silverknight@May 26 2005, 07:47 PM
Generally though a good guideline is Turbo a 4 banger super V6 and blow a V8

This makes sense logically... 4 cylinders dont have the excess horsepower to spare to run the supercharger or blower... v6s and especially v8s are much better for that... and they are right about the fact that with a turbo not only does it add power but it gives you a whole lot more potential to add more in the future...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
Super White Alero

depends on your perference really.

Supercharge provides constant power, on a exponental curve, ie at 1000rpm you get .25 psi, 2000 you get 1psi, at 3000rpm you get 4psi, and at 5000rpm you get 8psi, and so on, and so forth

A turbo requires that your exhaust provides enuff backpressure to spool up the turbocharger to generate constant boost thru the entire rpm range. But some turbo will provide lag, some more noticible than others. Whereas a supercharge will not provide this lag, but may rob the engine of some hp, But take a little hp to make more hp right.

Aside note, turbos are mcuh cheaper than a supercharger for the quad4
Old 05-27-2005, 06:19 AM   #6
aleroboyKK

Quote:
Originally posted by Super White Alero@May 26 2005, 10:46 PM
But some turbo will provide lag, some more noticible than others.

this is exactly why they made blow-off valves..

reduces/elimates lag if im correct
Old 05-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by aleroboyKK+May 27 2005, 06:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aleroboyKK @ May 27 2005, 06:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Super White Alero@May 26 2005, 10:46 PM
But some turbo will provide lag, some more noticible than others.

this is exactly why they made blow-off valves..

reduces/elimates lag if im correct
[/b][/quote]

I'm not so sure.
Quote:
The main purpose of the blow-off valve is to relieve the compressed air that is forced back into your turbo, which will cause compressor surge or backspin. Repetitive occurence of compressor surge will damage the turbo and cause turbo failure.

From what I read it has nothing to do with lag. You get lag when your exhaust speed drops which drops the speed of the turbine.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I'd say go s/c

The money is about the same, but your underhood temps will stay way down, plus a s/c will have no lag like a turbo will.

I also think a s/c is a bit easier to install in the bay of an Alero. Plus it's belt driven too so you have constant power.

I would do the manifolds, TB full exhaust and Headers to complete the package.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #9
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
First off I don't think ALOT of people here have turbos, I can only think of two right off and one is germ in a monte? and nguyen who was the only other one I can think of that actually ran. There's probably a couple more. Then John and Mike are/were S/C.

This is one of the most common Qs on here look around this has been addressed umpteen zillion times, search and you will find.

You can get big power out of either setup. The turbo will probably cost less cuz there are tons of cheap parts on ebay. A S/C kit will be easier to install since it a plug and play so to speak. The problem you are going to have is tuning, unless you get a kit, and even then...??? Also if you are headed for big boost ##s make sure to give your bottom end some first. (that doesn't seem right )

BTW GM also has a S/C out for the 00+ 2.4.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
Super White Alero

^^ completely agreed, I stopped cuz I simply cannot afford to mod the ho anymore. I like to but I have otehr obligations now.

Both I agreed strongly that a s/c is much easier to work with b/c is a root type and is just as ED said plug n' play, but expensive.

A turbo is cheap in terms of price but you make up for it in custom piping.

Both requires tuning, a s/c can be just as competitive as a turbo if setup correctly and properbly more so cuz it can push the curve higher.

Just remember the weak point of the qaud4 is not the motor but the tranny.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
[/quote]
another splendid point... before you go doubleing you HP and modding the crap out of you engine you should upgrade the trans or the first drive you have with your new expensive powerful engine will leave you wishing you did nothing to it...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:16 AM   #12
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by natedawg9640@May 27 2005, 12:39 PM

maybe the autos...??
Old 05-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #13
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I seem to recall a post mentioning that you wouldn't have much "lag" with the proper selection of parts. The right turbine wheel will get the spool up going much faster. Overall, a turbo setup can be done complete and correctly for half the price of a retail supercharger from what I've seen.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@May 28 2005, 10:05 AM
a turbo setup can be done complete and correctly for half the price of a retail supercharger from what I've seen.

then you need to have someone tune it, and a reprogrammed computer. The RSM Supercharger comes with everything, just bolt it up and go.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:19 PM   #15
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by Vtolds+May 28 2005, 10:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vtolds @ May 28 2005, 10:21 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BlackJack@May 28 2005, 10:05 AM
a turbo setup can be done complete and correctly for half the price of a retail supercharger from what I've seen.

then you need to have someone tune it, and a reprogrammed computer. The RSM Supercharger comes with everything, just bolt it up and go.
[/b][/quote]

only thing with RSM is you gotta give 'em your car so they can do the install...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero+May 28 2005, 12:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000_olds_alero @ May 28 2005, 12:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Vtolds@May 28 2005, 10:21 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackJack
Quote:
@May 28 2005, 10:05 AM

only thing with RSM is you gotta give 'em your car so they can do the install...
[/b][/quote]

They actaully ship the kit now without them installing it. I know in the past that the price actaully included 2 nights in a hotel while they did the work.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #17
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Vtolds@May 28 2005, 08:21 AM
That would be true IF you're having someone else tune it. I'm actually toying with the idea of scrapping the entire PCM/harness concept and trying out a full stand-alone EMS
since my tranny is going to be out of the loop anyway. The race rebuild on the tranny is going to remove computer control. Now I shouldn't have to screw with limited programming.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:24 AM   #18
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
turbos dont have as much lag as everybody says. a properly sized turbo makes boost almost instantly and makes full boost well before the supercharger. turbos use wasted energy from the engine (exhaust) to spin the compressor to make boost. superchargers are belt driven and take power from the engine to spin the compressor. turbos can be very "daily driven" friendly, since you control when you want to be hard on the throttle and go fast, or just cruise around at light throttle, out of boost, which also saves on gas. turbo systems are also easier to upgrade in the future.

as for tuning, if you dont have a clue to how it works, then yes, you pay someone to tune it for you. and you dont need a reprogrammed computer. there's a few different fuel controllers and injector controllers out there you can choose from to help add the extra fuel...it's all personal preference. even so, with all the parts and tuning involved, including labor to install everything (assuming you're not doing it yourself) you're still paying less for the whole system than a supercharger installed.

if you couldnt tell, i'm obviously more biased to turbos over superchargers. i'm sure someone else could make a whole other list why superchargers blow turbos away, but this is just my 2 cents.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:34 AM   #19
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
with an auto turbo lag is not existent. why? because with an auto you can launch under boost, by brake torqueing the motor up.

the RSM s/c well RSM has problems with there reflash and the few that have had the kit either sells it or blows their motor. RSM stuff is high priced and not the best.

i would get the GM s/c over the RSM anyday.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:34 AM   #20
urweak

if you want a supercharger, you want the one that GM sells. The RSM kit is 4k+ whereas the GM kit is around 2,500. Plus you can up the boost on the GM kit by buying a simple pulley for around 100 bucks, the RSM kit needs to be upgraded to the Stage 2 option which is far more then even 200 dollars.

So forget the RSM kit and get the one from GM, or go turbo.