Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
WAI - Finall question

O.k so i've been reading and learning about those intakes...

a WAI may give me more air but it will be HOTTER air.

Alot of people say that even when theres more air flow u will not earn power and might even lose power becoz the engine likes colder air and hotter air won't really help.

Then other people say that even if the air is hotter its still better becoz there is more air flowing.

So basically my question is what and who is right... And when theres more air doesnt it also change the fuel thats injected to the engine? and if it does then doesnt it change the whole situation? It's just that 50% of the people out there say its good and 50% say its bad everywhere i go! its dirving me crazy.

Someone needs to clear this thing.

Thanx for your help.

Last edited by Alon Alero : 06-09-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Alon Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
anything is better then the stock airbox.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Alon Alero
GL Member

And u say that based on what?

I mean atleast the original air box takes colder air... so yeah it might not flow as good as a wai but with a drop in k&n filter it can improve the air coming in a bit...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
the stock air box is heavily restricted, you can run a warm air intake, just come up with a way to isolate it from the underhood air temps with a shield of some sort, so it will pull from the fender opening more than the underhood air, i run a cold air, and personally it is a pain in the ass, i have 2 filters because it is a good amount work to remove and clean my air filter.

the stock air box has a silencer tube built in, it has approximately a 1 inch diameter opening, the warm/cold air intakes have a 3 inch opening, so comparison should easily seen.

Last edited by jabartram : 06-09-2007 at 02:52 PM.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Ortz
GX Member

Ortz is an unknown quantity at this point
alon iv been driven crazy in the same way,but have decided im going to go with the WAI with a heat shield like the one from docspeed,and maybe try to seal it of even better if i can.because the two common problems i keep hearing is the CAI sucks up water and takes a lot of time to clean the filter.i suggest you do the same.but that's my inexperienced opinion.
Ortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Alon Alero
GL Member

I will be glad, but we dont have most of those stuff here since its all so underground... I don't think i will find a wai with a heat shield and i dont think someone here can really point me to the right direction with it... YES i can order it from ebay and mess with it myself but it will be such a pain that i rather just put an inbox k&n and seal the deal (even tho its not as good as the cone-shaped filter)

The next step will be to find legal exhaust that will give me some noise too... thats going to be even harder!

One thing i read is that if i'll install the regular wai that they use over here inside the engine bay it will make me lose power even if there is more air coming in becuase the high temp. ruins everything and that includes the engine breathing.
the higher the temp. is the less air your engine is really breathing.

The law here is just really tight on cars... its not legal to change allmost anything except rims and the filter maybe.

Thanx 4 all the help.

Last edited by Alon Alero : 06-09-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
IMHO a WAI is better than a drop-in K&N any day of the week. The only way to know for sure is to measure output of both the systems, but noone's able to do that. The basis for my opinion is heat soak. even if the K&N filter element CAN outflow a cone style filter, it's encased in heat-soaked plastic, connected to even more heat soaked plastic tubing. A WAI's tubing prone to heat soak, but ALOT less of it. Think of it this way: take cool air, and force it through 2 pipes heat soaked to 200*. 1 pipe is 3 feet long, the other is 1 foot long. Which one's gonna have cooler air coming out the other end? And THAT's not saying anything about the restrictions of the stock airbox design itself.

Bottom line: stock airbox designs are junk, no matter what filter's in there. CAI tubing is prone to heat soak, so the WAI/CAI battle resumes.......

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
joealmighty13
GX Member

joealmighty13 is on a distinguished road
U have to understand, the WAI will not make you lose power. Yes it is warmer there, but theres still a greater volume of air coming into the engine. so theres still power to be had regardless of heat. Not to mention the engine runs at a set temp anyways cause of the thermostat. So CAI or WAI get one of them, just get rid of the airbox.
joealmighty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
redrider07
GX Member

redrider07 is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I think WAI are junk. Does not matter how much air you are flowing, the engine can only breath so much. So, HOW can warm air possibly be better than the stock cold air box...IT CAN'T.... Warm air=less power period.That is why, our cars come stock with a cold air filtering in! So, I would get the Doctor Speed Cold Air Box, which isolates the filter from the engine eat. I have a 180 degree t-stat..and I plan on getting either a Cold Air Box from Doctor Speed..or a CAI of ebay.

CAI would be a pain in the ass to clean...so I am leaning towards a Cold Air Box from Doctor Speed
redrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider07 View Post

CAI would be a pain in the ass to clean...so I am leaning towards a Cold Air Box from Doctor Speed

good choice, i have a cai, its not really a pain in the ass to get to it, but its just annoying trying to get the filter back on......but i will deal with it.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
CAI was easy to clean, all u have to do is jack ur car up, take the driver front wheel off, peel the wheel well cover off and there you have it

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:44 AM   #12
Alon Alero
GL Member

[quote=Youngblood77;285167]IMHO a WAI is better than a drop-in K&N any day of the week. The only way to know for sure is to measure output of both the systems, but noone's able to do that.

Someone from here measured the INPUT of both systems (with speciall equipment) and showd us how warm the air that the wai will get is (if u want i can bring his results on pictures that he took)... I know the k&n drop-in will never be the same as the intake but if u just put the regular intakes that they sell here (and its not like doctor speed's intakes) and not modify it to resist heat most of the chances are that U WILL lose power.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
telcart

Hey,

I just bought this cold air intake kit, with the K&N cone filter (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...B:EOIBSA:CA:11)
It came with some lousy instructions that look like they were drawn on a napkin. But basically, it says to remove "the piece of plastic" on the inside of the fender. So I removed my air box, searched around and found no good place to run a the thick aluminum tube through. So right now I've just got the cone sitting a few inches away from the engine and this definitely isn't going to allow for much "cold air". Does anybody know where it's supposed to go?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
joealmighty13
GX Member

joealmighty13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Honestly, I think WAI are junk. Does not matter how much air you are flowing, the engine can only breath so much. So, HOW can warm air possibly be better than the stock cold air box...IT CAN'T.... Warm air=less power period.That is why, our cars come stock with a cold air filtering in! So, I would get the Doctor Speed Cold Air Box, which isolates the filter from the engine eat. I have a 180 degree t-stat..and I plan on getting either a Cold Air Box from Doctor Speed..or a CAI of ebay.

Red im having a hard time trusting your input there. Arent you the one who told us CAI's were pointless cause they lowered the temp of your engine, and you only gained one horse per 10 degrees. Anyways the WAI's are not junk because its simply better flow, the engine is taking in more air easier from all sides of the cone filter, not just one side of a box. The restriction from a box alone is enough for most of us to switch to a CAI or WAI. Also with a heat shield isolating the cone from other radiant heat, the air on the cone side is significantly cooler. Not CAI cold, but still cool enough for power gains.

heres the link to the other post:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16691

Last edited by joealmighty13 : 06-10-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: found old post.
joealmighty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
redrider07
GX Member

redrider07 is on a distinguished road
yeah....I guess I did say that! I was not trying to be negative. I agree with what you are saying though! I guess anything is better than stock air box, but it just makes more sense to me either getting a CAI or Cold Air Box. WAI would maybe help a little, but it is still drawing in HOT engine air.

I will probably go with the Cold Air Box...easier to install and clean

Plus, I would think it is kind of the best of both worlds.....more low-end power...but still isolated from engine heat

Later, guys.
redrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Alon Alero
GL Member

Quote:
yeah....I guess I did say that! I was not trying to be negative. I agree with what you are saying though! I guess anything is better than stock air box, but it just makes more sense to me either getting a CAI or Cold Air Box. WAI would maybe help a little, but it is still drawing in HOT engine air.

I will probably go with the Cold Air Box...easier to install and clean

Plus, I would think it is kind of the best of both worlds.....more low-end power...but still isolated from engine heat

Later, guys.

What do u mean by a "Cold air box"?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
You guys do realize that air circulates under the hood when the car's moving. The engine bay is not an air tight sealed compartment like everyone is making it out to be. Cool oncoming air will come in under the hood and around the headlights. So a WAI will increase power over the restrictive stock airbox.

A better alternative to a true CAI is this cold air box everyone's talking about. Basically it's a WAI with the cone filter inside a sealed box. From that box runs a 3" tube down into the fender where a normal CAI would run. So it's pretty much a true CAI that places the filter out of the direct path of water and debris, and also allows the owner to simply pop off the top of the box to remove and clean the filter.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
^Isn't that basically like the stock? (minus the cone filter)
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Well ti'd have a much bigger pickup tube and wouldn't be as tangled, I'd imagine.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 AM   #20
Alon Alero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
You guys do realize that air circulates under the hood when the car's moving. The engine bay is not an air tight sealed compartment like everyone is making it out to be. Cool oncoming air will come in under the hood and around the headlights. So a WAI will increase power over the restrictive stock airbox.

It doesnt matter, it's always hot inside the engine bay (after starting the car it takes 5 min for it to heat up) and thats a fact.
If u place the filter inside the engine bay in a hot place it will suck up much warmer air... for the cold air box, never heard of those, don't think we have one of those around here anyway.