Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
BRAKE light on

Hm.. so today I go to start up the car, it's quite chilly out, frost/ice on the car. I start it up and hear an out of the ordinary ding after starting it up, and notice the red "BRAKE" light is on signifying that the emergency brake is engaged. It isn't. It went away after a minute or two of driving, but it was weird..

Condensation in sensors/wiring I assume
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
that would mean something with your brakes is not correct, possibly you need to flush/bleed them

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
i do have low fluid, and have been e-braking in rain lol, rotors are warped terribly, etc. could be
Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

its your low fluid causing the light to come on

Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

yeah the light came on again as i left school. just checked it looks as if it is pretty low, guess its time to go to the store
Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

you could have a leak somewhere, get under your car and look at the inside of all 4 rims, look for liquid on the inside of them, if you have any then that wheel's caliper is leaking fluid and probably needs to be replaced

Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

yeah people've been telling me i have low fluid every time i pop the hood for over a year lol, might be a slow leak, for some reason i haven't filled it up yet (i don't want to crash though lol)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The fluid does go down as your brakes wear as well. That's normal.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

that's what it was, i added Prestone DOT3 fluid to the reservoir, it was clear though not blue
Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

Losing fluid again. Had to fill it up last month and looks like now it needs more again, it's just above the MIN mark. I filled it up to MAX last time.

Bah.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
diablo
GL Member

diablo is on a distinguished road
Time to bleed them and maybe check your wheel cylinders, the seals might be torn
diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Mine is on too, all the brakes are fine and the fliud isn't low, the sensor is shot

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

blah mine's leaking somewhere, gotta fill up the reservoir every month and a half it seems.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

Fix it before your brakes fail and then you'll have even more to fix ... or worse, not able to fix.

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
i read the title and said to myself..............take your damn foot off the brake............lol

either sensor or e-brake is stuck
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
^that made me laugh
Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 AM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
i read the title and said to myself..............take your damn foot off the brake............lol

either sensor or e-brake is stuck

Haha! Well if the sensor or e-brake was stuck.. the sensor wouldn't be off when my brake fluid was full and on when it was scraping along the MIN line.. and requiring me to fill it up with DOT3 every month.. :/
Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
If the handbrake sensor was stuck, the car would be running the chime all the time while driving.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
MADMike
GX Member

MADMike is on a distinguished road
not to highjack the thread but I am curious. I noticed that my cars ABS or light doesnt come on when I start like in most cars. Also when slamming on the brakes in the rain/snow/ice/dirt my wheels lock up and slide. Did some aleros come without abs or antilocks or has my fuse been pulled out or something. I'm happy the way it is, it gives me more control over braking in the crappy weather whereas in my old s-10 the abs would kick in on anything and not let me brake at all.
MADMike is offline   Reply With Quote