Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Thewolf
GX Member

Thewolf is on a distinguished road
TRAC OFF problem

Hello it's 00AleroGoldPackageV6 here, I've decided to make an new account because I wasn't that wise with my username choice and I had concluded that it was just too long for aleromod anyways I'll continue with my question.

As you may know I have a 2000 Alero GL2 and I've replaced my wheels bearings about 3 months ago but I've noticed one thing; when I drive with my TRAC ON no lights appear on my dashboard only my CEL is illuminated but when drive with my TRAC OFF about 30 minutes to an hour later all I hear is *ding, ding, ding* and I look down at my dashboard and the ABS light, SVS, and TRAC OFF light are all on.

What could cause these lights to come on when only driving with the Traction Control on?

Last edited by Thewolf : 08-21-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
wheel hubs
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Thewolf
GX Member

Isn't the wheel bearings and the wheel hubs the same thing?

And shouldn't the hubs be replaced the same time when the bearings are being replaced?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Yea, either you have a hub dieing or the wiring to the sensor is damaged. My bet is on the former. I give it a few weeks to a month if you don't drive much before it starts growling.
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
mbeals
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolf View Post
Isn't the wheel bearings and the wheel hubs the same thing?

And shouldn't the hubs be replaced the same time when the bearings are being replaced?

The hub, bearing, abs sensor and tone ring are all integrated into a single, non-servicable "wheel hub assembly". When it goes, you just replace the whole thing.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Thewolf
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeals View Post
The hub, bearing, abs sensor and tone ring are all integrated into a single, non-servicable "wheel hub assembly". When it goes, you just replace the whole thing.

So you're saying that in 3 months these wheel bearings just went (not one but two?!), that's weird because there's no noise or growling yet. Should I go back to where I got it replaced and complain because honestly I don't want to spend $300 to replace both again. Or should I ignore it and drive with the Trac on?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
mbeals
GX Member

It only takes one bad hub to throw those lights, and its not unheard of for them to be bad from the factory.

Since they are brand new, jack it up, and inspect the speed sensor wires to make sure they aren't pinched anywhere. While its up, grab hold of the spring and spin the tire to feel for roughness in the bearing.

Also, was your initial post right? No code at all with trac on, but shutting it off makes the code pop up? Have you driven it at length with trac on? The last time mine died, it seemed that turning trac off delayed the other lights, but didn't stop them.

Did you get a warentee with the work?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
2001 3.4L
GX Member

2001 3.4L is on a distinguished road
had the same problem.... replaced hub and then the lights would come on after 25 mins....mine was the harness going from the hub to the BCM.... if you really want to know what your problem is when the lights go on get a ABS scan tool and look at the codes....if its the wire you get like 5 codes for one side... hope this helps
2001 3.4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Thewolf
GX Member

Quote:
It only takes one bad hub to throw those lights, and its not unheard of for them to be bad from the factory.

Since they are brand new, jack it up, and inspect the speed sensor wires to make sure they aren't pinched anywhere. While its up, grab hold of the spring and spin the tire to feel for roughness in the bearing.

Also, was your initial post right? No code at all with trac on, but shutting it off makes the code pop up? Have you driven it at length with trac on? The last time mine died, it seemed that turning trac off delayed the other lights, but didn't stop them.

Did you get a warentee with the work?

I'll do that and see if the wires are being pinched or not.

Yes that is correct, when I have the Trac on no lights come on the dash but having the Trac off makes the lights pop up. And I did drive the same distance with the Trac on and Trac off in fact I drove from Barrie to Brampton (1 hour drive) with the Trac on and no lights came on. In fact a while back me and my dad were driving the car with the Trac off and as soon as I hit a bump on the road the lights came on and sometimes it will come on with no bumps in the road.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Casper
GX Member

Casper is on a distinguished road
I've had this same problem but its only happened twice in the 4 months ive had the car, except if im stopped when it happens, i cant accelerate past 5km/h in first and like 15 km/h in third, very hard to get out of the way, but if I shut off and restart the car its back to normal. I've been told its a bad wheel speed sensor (I also have no noise from bearings)
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Thewolf
GX Member

Update: My front left tire keeps on going flat even after filling it up with air, so I jacked the car up to change the tire to the spare tire and I look behind the wheel well and saw the ABS sensor wire and I told my dad "This is all your troubles here" he said let me see and he pushed it down and I heard a *click* noise. It wasn't connected properly because even while coming out of my driveway to the road there's a bump and when my front tires go over the bump the lights come on and this other time the road was bumpy and the lights came on again. Hopefully when I get my tire fixed I'll drive it and see if the problem still persists. (Oh and I checked the right side wires and it was ok).

Damn careless mechanics.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yea, either you have a hub dieing or the wiring to the sensor is damaged. My bet is on the former. I give it a few weeks to a month if you don't drive much before it starts growling.

That is not true. The sensor being out has nothing to do with the bearing itself going bad. I have been going on at least one bad sensor for 18 months now. I just refuse to pay a stealership to tell me which one is bad.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
Thewolf
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
That is not true. The sensor being out has nothing to do with the bearing itself going bad. I have been going on at least one bad sensor for 18 months now. I just refuse to pay a stealership to tell me which one is bad.

Can't you just buy one of those ABS scan things and check it yourself? Or only the dealers have that?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
This happened with my car as well back in the winter, and the other side is now starting to go. I got the three lights, and the code was excessive wheel speed variation out of the right front, so I replaced that hub - problem fixed. Now its the same code out of the left front. As in most cases, no noise out of either side.

But you saying that you just got both hubs installed is kind of odd that it would be the issue again. As other people have suggested, I would very carefully check the wiring at both sides of the vehicle and make sure whoever installed them didn't pinch any wires.

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
Thewolf
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT3 View Post
This happened with my car as well back in the winter, and the other side is now starting to go. I got the three lights, and the code was excessive wheel speed variation out of the right front, so I replaced that hub - problem fixed. Now its the same code out of the left front. As in most cases, no noise out of either side.

But you saying that you just got both hubs installed is kind of odd that it would be the issue again. As other people have suggested, I would very carefully check the wiring at both sides of the vehicle and make sure whoever installed them didn't pinch any wires.

Ok, I'll check the wires carefully when I fix my left front tire. Yes, there is no noise coming from either bearings. I'll have to drive it with the Trac Off to see if the lights still come on.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Thewolf
GX Member

So I fixed my tire, it turns out that it was leaking around the rim that was causing it to go flat in about 2 days. I drove my Alero today (with the Trac off) and guess what...no lights. I also checked for any pinched wires and there was none. Problem fixed.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #17
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
yeah most likely a hub, hard to tell which one, when it goes out the trac off and abs lights will come on, i had this problem and replaced both front hubs, and it was solved, if you hear a humming noise while driving the car its most likely going out, one of them or a couple. but if no humming im assuming that it would just be the sensor on one of them.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
Thewolf
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
yeah most likely a hub, hard to tell which one, when it goes out the trac off and abs lights will come on, i had this problem and replaced both front hubs, and it was solved, if you hear a humming noise while driving the car its most likely going out, one of them or a couple. but if no humming im assuming that it would just be the sensor on one of them.

No humming from the bearing. Tomorrow I'll take some pictures of my Alero and post them up on the "show off your Alero" section. Today I washed her, removed most of the scratches with a polishing compound, used some tire shine on the tires, cleaned the rims. Ohh it looks so good. Today when I was driving my Alero, I was making a left turn and some guy in another Alero was staring my Alero down.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
My trac off light comes and goes for the past few days and im starting to hear a little humming from what I believe is the front right side.

No other lights except trac off should I worry about this. I'm taking the car for the vacation tomorrow morning so i'm just wondering if it's just going to be an annoying sound or do I have something to worry about?

Could it just be a pinched wire or something?
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
the flashing of just the trac off is kinda of a warning sign that shits about to hit the fan. mine did that occasionally, then sometimes, with the right speed and movement, the 2 other lights would come on and id get the "ding ding ding". however ive never had any noise from the bearings. its always been just the sensor wires getting pinched or moved the right way. as far as having something to worry about, not really. if you get all of the lights on from the bad hub or sensor, i think you lose your abs and trac control. i know ive had a bit of trouble in wet/snowy weather since my hub(s) have needed to be replaced for over a year now.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote