Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Caliper issue?

So lately i've been having an issue when it comes to slowly turning the wheel to the right the car groans. Also I started hearing what seemed like a knocking (not from the engine bay) sounds like its coming from the driver or passenger front wheel. The other day when the passenger window was rolled down I heard a little ticking sound from there. After coming home from work today (2 miles) I felt the passenger side rotor and it was HOT. Maybe I need to get new calipers up front. Could they be seizing? They did sit for a few years unused and then put back on the car when got rid of the baer's so I'm guessing maybe I got what I could out of them and now they're dried out.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...isc-brake1.htm

"A moving car has a certain amount of kinetic energy, and the brakes have to remove this energy from the car in order to stop it. How do the brakes do this? Each time you stop your car, your brakes convert the kinetic energy to heat generated by the friction between the pads and the disc."

Were your brakes smoking, if so then they were locked up, or any kind of funky smell, its very distinct.

That groan you hear when you turn your wheel is more likely your power steering pump, I had the same issue, and all that was wrong with that was the fluid being low.

Last edited by KenshinZero : 06-06-2010 at 05:59 AM.
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Groaning and popping while you turn is a sure sign of a ball joint or upper strut bearing that is seized up.

Get a buddy to turn the wheels while you stick your hand up into the wheel well and feel the upper mount near the bearing... feel if it moves smoothly or jerks/pops as it moves... in some cases you can just watch the spring as well.
Then do the same with the ball joint.. just touch it/feel it as your buddy turns the wheel, and see if it pops. a stethoscope can be handy.. just set it on the balljoint and wait for it to pop and blow your ears out. If it does, your ball joint is getting worn. Also, you can jack that wheel up and pull the bottom of the wheel in and out and see if it has play. If it does, have someone look to see if the knuckle is moving with it (if only the wheel is loose you have a bad wheel bearing.. but that's other noises)... and also to see if it's obvious the looseness is at the ball joint.

Also.. just incase.. jack it up and grab the wheel and move it how it steers.. see if there's any play there.. and if there is, and the knuckle moves with it.. check to see if the outter or inner tie rods are worn and have the play you feel. Probably wouldn't make your noise, but if all else fails check those.

The hot brakes could be from normal use... however to know for sure go for a drive, and stop the car using ONLY the parking brake.. then feel the front rotor. If it's hot, the caliper pins and probably seized up and it drags a little.
If it's not, the hotness was just normal operation.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
What could the knocking be from then. I think I just want to take the car in for an overall inspection because I still have a CEL for heat circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2 (upstream o2) which I have changed twice now and still the code stays.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote