Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
tow hooks

now, i know im going to get some crap from people for asking about this, but i am looking at it mostly from a functionality point of view. has anyone ever seen or think it would be a good idea to install tow hooks like these on my alero? it is lowered with the razzi kit molded onto the stock bumpers. i would hate to mess up all the work i put into my bumpers if i ever needed to be towed or pulled. ive never needed a tow, but it is getting close to 200k miles, and anything could happen. i also think it looks kinda cool, depending on the car. the only cars i see these on is usually hondas, but never a domestic car.
this is what i start thinking about when i work with a bunch of honda guys lol. anyway, opinions are welcomed, both good and bad. thanks.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Id say do it so you don't mess up your car if you do need it. You can never be to safe
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Where do you plan on mounting these? They have to put attached to the frame if your ever going to get towed....unless you make cuts into the bumper i dont think this is possible..... correct me if im wrong people......
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I plan on getting a tow hook soon. I towed my car on all four wheels once and used the "tie down" tow hook on the driver side of the crash beam and bent it lol. Worked though, but I'd rather have a sturdy mount.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Why not using the OE ones?

The front one can be bolted in - the rear one is welded to the frame.

So perhaps cut the rear one off, and make it longer -> reweld

and look if the front one can still be mounted next to the fog light (dont know how the razzi kit remodeled the fog light area)
Perhaps drilling a hole in the bumper, big enough for the tow hook and plug it off with the drilled out part of the bumber, but using some clips to keep in in place. So in can be pried out if needed.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
whiterider00
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Where do you plan on mounting these? They have to put attached to the frame if your ever going to get towed....unless you make cuts into the bumper i dont think this is possible..... correct me if im wrong people......

it looks like most people do cut a small hole in the bumper (at least the front) for the circular part of the hook to go through. all of the rear ones ive seen have just stuck out from underneath, but i dont know exactly how i need to mount it on these cars, plus the razzi kit sits fairly low in the back, so i may have to modify the rear bumper as well. ill try to get underneath the car and see if this is even possible.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Grand am but check aaron's thread.... http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78039
Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
RICER!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
RICER!
FUNCTIONAL.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Ttop191
GLS member

if the tow truck driver is dumb enough to hook to suspension components than he gets to pay for it, I'd be willing to wait 2 weeks with no car and get a brand new suspension
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
whiterider00
GLS member

the point of the hooks is not so the car isnt towed from suspension components (which like you said would be stupid and i would make the tow company pay for replacement), but to keep the bumpers, which i spent a fair amount of time and effort on, from getting fubar'd. if the hole/hook to tow the car is in the subframe of the car, and my bumpers sit below that, when the tow line is pulled taught, the line will cut upwards into the bumpers, most likely damaging them. plus i have rarely seen any cars around here with tow hooks, and definitely no domestic cars, so i figured i might as well do something different.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

^exactly... now that I viewed this thread without being at work i can see the GAGT pics, and that's exactly how it should be done, clean, professional, functional.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
BlueLego
GX Member

BlueLego is on a distinguished road
i'd say do it. i think they look awsome. i've seen a couple modded rides around with these and i love the way they look. i was actually considering doing these myself. keep everyone posted if you mount them! i want to see how they look on alero's
BlueLego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #14
Ttop191
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
the point of the hooks is not so the car isnt towed from suspension components (which like you said would be stupid and i would make the tow company pay for replacement), but to keep the bumpers, which i spent a fair amount of time and effort on, from getting fubar'd. if the hole/hook to tow the car is in the subframe of the car, and my bumpers sit below that, when the tow line is pulled taught, the line will cut upwards into the bumpers, most likely damaging them. plus i have rarely seen any cars around here with tow hooks, and definitely no domestic cars, so i figured i might as well do something different.

but if the tow company effs up you get a new suspension and bumpers, i see that as full of win haha
Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #15
BlueLego
GX Member

BlueLego is on a distinguished road
my AED bumper sits about 3 inches from the ground. how they would fit anything under that, or even lift up the back without effing up my body, i have no clue. this is a definate thing on my to do list haha
BlueLego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #16
whiterider00
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
but if the tow company effs up you get a new suspension and bumpers, i see that as full of win haha

i doubt the tow company would pay for a new razzi kit, let alone take the time to mold it onto the stock bumper covers.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
Ttop191
GLS member

they are responsible for ALL damages done to the car if they don't use proper towing procedures and eff things up. One of my teachers ripper the lower rad support and bumper cover off a car one, it was declared totalled and he had to buy it for full market value...that's the law
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Do it! I'm going to have all kind of retarded Honda fads on my Alero once I get my new DD. Go all out man. I plan on having a Stance'ed out Alero sitting Hella Flush some day...

Last edited by xXManwhoreXx : 01-30-2011 at 01:51 PM.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Do it! I'm going to have all kind of retarded Honda fads on my Alero once I get my new DD. Go all out man. I plan on having a Stance'ed out Alero sitting Hella Flush some day...

03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
Ttop191
GLS member

^ this