Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 12-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
Ticking / Knocking

I know that kind of contrary, but thats the easiest way to put it. When i was driving from a restaurant today it started.

My heat was on when it started. While me heats on i hear a Loud Knocking/ Ticking type noise (same with defrost) not so much like a metal on metal, but close. Once the car warmed up it went away, but i can still hear a light ticking. Now is the something along the lines of Heater core??* if thats the name for it. Or what, because i am not sure if this is something to be cause for a concern?
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
how cold out was it, could just be the metal pinging because of the change of temperature
Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
how cold out was it, could just be the metal pinging because of the change of temperature

like 30ish, But its been colder in recent days and its never happened
Old 12-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
its most likely your timing chain tensioner located under your valve cover, ive never had an issue with it but it is one of the most common problems with our ecotec
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencoupe2.2 View Post
its most likely your timing chain tensioner located under your valve cover, ive never had an issue with it but it is one of the most common problems with our ecotec

So then its easy to get at then i take it.. So could i get away with just the tensioner? or would i be better off replacing it all
Old 12-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
have you bothered to try turning the heat off? it might just be your fans inside the car
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robalero View Post
have you bothered to try turning the heat off? it might just be your fans inside the car

It did it while the heat was on, same with defrost. Yes i turned it off, i believe i had said that in the first post as well as that once the car warmed up it stopped.

But i dont know if i mentioned that the sound was definitely from the drivers Side in the engine bay
Old 12-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
i dont know if the tansioner was it becase the timing chain is lcoated on the passenger side under the valve cover
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencoupe2.2 View Post
i dont know if the tansioner was it becase the timing chain is lcoated on the passenger side under the valve cover

Okay, well what else could it be, i mean i doubt its a fan because everything is still fine while driving. i mean maybe something got under and the fan kicked it away idk.. I just wish i knew what exactly it was so i could atleast look at it
Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
BlueLego
GX Member

BlueLego is on a distinguished road
just a FYI, if anyone with the ecotec has not replaced the tensioner by thr valve cover than it is a must!. my experience was i started hearing a alot of noise coming from the calve cover, the timing chain had broke the plastic part of the upper guide and the timing chain was hitting against that. so i replaced that part and tested it out but still heard alot of noise. took off the valve cover and started the car (oil flung everywhere lol) but then it died out. tried to start it again and bam!! the engine cranked over super fast and easy so obviously broken time chain. but nope, the tension was lost on the intake cam gear so while those valves were extended the psitons came up and crushed the intake valves. all because that one tensioner not good at all. but also when i had the head off it was mid december and pretty cold and i was replacing my water pump. i was taking off the three screws that connect it to the gear and happened to drop on inside because my fingers were frozen from it being freezing and all the cold coolant. so i fished i there with a magnet in attempt to get the screw and pulled out a peice of something i had no clue what it was. turns out that it was part of the balancer shaft and that was fryed too. if you guys experience any of this for the eco fix it immediatly. the whole timing kit (guides, balancer shaft, tensioner, chain, gaskets) runs about 230 dollars i think. something like that. not a fun project lol
BlueLego is offline   Reply With Quote