Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattismodderX View Post
anyone know of a link with the entire cold air intake whatevers all in one spot (so theres no need for a buy filter, buy tube, just buy one thing and u get it all) or a the name of a type of filter would work too (2.2L ecotec)

there is a universal cold air kit, at advance auto, in my area, its like 50.. it has the tube for the throttle body, and the ducting to go into the fender, and then it comes with the filter aswell to i think. you might only need to buy like an adapter for the TB to the pipe
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #22
whiteliquid
Defeat < Giving Up

whiteliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to whiteliquid Send a message via Yahoo to whiteliquid
the ribs do reduce air flow...obviously its not as smooth and the air runs into the ribs causing it to slow down. ....

The difference in power you'll see wont really matter...9/10 of the people on the site use their cars as daily drivers so its not really practical to fabricate a replacement piece for the 1/10 of a second you might gain so you can beat the next red light lol

WhiteLiquid
whiteliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #23
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteliquid View Post
the ribs do reduce air flow...obviously its not as smooth and the air runs into the ribs causing it to slow down. ....

The difference in power you'll see wont really matter...9/10 of the people on the site use their cars as daily drivers so its not really practical to fabricate a replacement piece for the 1/10 of a second you might gain so you can beat the next red light lol

exactly.. i got a 3 1/2" pipe cute for me, fits over the stock pipe with a tight fix, and it curved around the battery so the filter sits right near where the air comes in from the intake.. so ima gonna keep it like that, i just need to find a connector for 3 1/2-3 1/2.

but yea, like you said, having it go to the TB is better, but not a huge difference, yea it looks alot better, but at what cost is it worth it, like you said for daily drivers, like mine is, i just wanted that deeper sound, without doing an exhaust, although i might put on a muffler
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #24
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
The ribs will reduce airflow cus of the turbulence. Something else that reduces air flow is the resonator (if youve still got it). Also, you need to be careful when choosing a filter. Try to choose the one that filters best and always keep it clean, otherwise, if dirt gets through to your engine, your pistons could get scratched with it, and your oil consumption will go up.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
I've heard K&N filters are bad because of the oil that the filter itself has on it.. I think Redog mentioned somethin on that-

and brewahahaaaaa.. I have a damn K&N filter.

One filter I seen at auto zone was a full metal looking one.. very very fine "screen" as the filter. how legit do you think that one is?

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #26
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
^ I dont know, I guess it would depend on the size of the pores. K&N's supposedly depend on the oil to trap dirt, but a filter without oil, just bases its filtration on the pores. Really, if not using oil, you get one thing or the other. You will either get good flow and bad filtration, or good filtration and bad flow (with clean filters anyways).
Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #27
02AleroEco
GL Member

yea.. thanks for the input, ill be sure to keep this one clean, because it doesnt have oil on it.. bbbbuuuuttt it is a sexy blue color, lol
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #28
whiteliquid
Defeat < Giving Up

whiteliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to whiteliquid Send a message via Yahoo to whiteliquid
if you got the spectre one or whatever they are called take it back...they fall apart quickly.

WhiteLiquid
whiteliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #29
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteliquid View Post
if you got the spectre one or whatever they are called take it back...they fall apart quickly.

i wish i could, but i dont have the recipt and it was like a 21 day return policy at the store, and its been longer than that.

Ill take my chances, its worked fine, with no issues yet

But thank you for ur concern
Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #30
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
Those spectre air filters are ok, as long as they don't get wet. I had a CAI on my Malibu, the damn thing got wet and fell apart. The filter element is only paper, not cloth like the good ones. A friend of mine tried to wash one of those spectre filters, and was way disapointed.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #31
02AleroEco
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder88 View Post
Those spectre air filters are ok, as long as they don't get wet. I had a CAI on my Malibu, the damn thing got wet and fell apart. The filter element is only paper, not cloth like the good ones. A friend of mine tried to wash one of those spectre filters, and was way disapointed.

yea. but im gonna take my chances for now