Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
car body types

what are the differences between j bodies and n bodies and whatever else bodies?

sigs are annoying
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
they are different car platforms. examples: n is alero, grand am. j is cavalier and i dunno what else. f is camaro, firebird. xj is jeep wranglers i think. each different chassis type would have a different platform code.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that the sunfire is also J and the Malibu is also N.

Here is a link. It is only good for the oldies GM's though.
http://www.summitracing.com/streetandstrip/tech_content.asp?ID={43C8549B-A2BB-4805-B55D-05A457029B32}

Last edited by Valley olds : 12-26-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
N= Cutlass, Malibu, GA, Alero

J= Cavvy, Sunfire, Sunbird, Firenza, Skyhawk, Cimarron

it's fun to see how the cars are like.. the same, lol.

W = Impala, GP, Regal, Monte Carlo, Intrigue, Century,

G= Park Avenue , Aurora, Riviera, LeSabre

Now I'm just all excited.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
i used to have a cutlass, it was totally diff from my alero!

never heard of the firenza, skyhawk or the cimarron.

sigs are annoying
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
let's be a little clear on that...it was the 97-98 Cutlass that was an N-Body...and don't forget that the platforms did get revamped at some point in their history.

and those three cars weren't very popular because they are economy cars put into luxury and semi-luxury brands. their purpose was defeated just by existing.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksobsession View Post
i used to have a cutlass, it was totally diff from my alero!

never heard of the firenza, skyhawk or the cimarron.

The older Cutlass (1980's) was also a W body.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder88 View Post

actually i believe the older cutlass', grand prix', monte carlos, regals, malibus and i think el caminos from like 78ish-87 were g-bodies... i may be wrong tho. i know my brother has a 87 GP and its a g-body.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:

Not Cutlass, but Cutlass Supreme. And they were first introduced in the '88 model year if i remember right.

There was also the Cutlass Calais (N) and Cutlass Ciera (A)
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Yea, I wasn't super clear.

The Cutlass that looks like a Malibu.. or is it the Malibu that looks like a Cutlass?!

I actually like them... my friend has one, her's is black with the gold trim package.. it's really slick.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
itsbmw

Last edited by itsbmw : 01-04-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
here is the run down on the jeep. very important information to know ( I think so but I am a jeep guy) :

every jeep has a two or three letter assigned to it.

~ MA - The original prototype Jeep submitted by Willys-Overland for the military contract in 1940. "M" stood for "military"; "A" for the first model.

~ MB - The revised model first mass-produced by Willys-Overland for the military in '40-'45. "B" stood for the second model.

~ GP - The original prototype Jeep submitted by Ford for the military contract in 1940. "G" indicated government issue; "P" indicated an 80" wheelbase reconnaissance vehicle.

~ GPW - The revised model first mass-produced by Ford for the military in '40-'45. It is virtually identical to the MB (the "W" stood for "Willys' design").

~ M38 - aka MC - The next generation military Jeep by Willys ('50-52), similar to the civilian CJ-3A. Like all of the above models, it was a flat-fender style.

~ M38A1 - aka MD - Basically the military version of the CJ-5 ('52-'71). Unlike the CJ-5, it had the front shackles at the rear of the springs instead of up front.

~ M170 - Similar to a military version of the CJ-6. 4155 of them were made in the mid-50's and early-60's.

CJ - The first civilian version of the military-inspired short-wheelbase Jeep, made '42-'86. Encompasses everything from flat-fenders to Scramblers. Like many other early Jeep designations, "CJ" actually stands for something: Civilian Jeep. Various numbers followed the CJ designation, indicating different body styles within the CJ line:

~ CJ-2A - A flat-fender, very similar to the military MB ('45-49) except that the headlights bulge out of the grill instead of being inset.

~ CJ-3A - A flat-fender, very similar to the military M38 ('48-53).

~ CJ-3B - A flat-fender, the top of its hood sits 4" higher above the fenders than the 3A to clear the new F-head engine ('52-68).

~ CJ-4 - Only one prototype is known to exist. It was discovered in 1997(?), still in the hands of its second owner. It looks like a 50/50 mix of a CJ-3A and a CJ-5, with only slightly rounded fenders.

~ CJ-5 - The civilian version of the M38A1, but with the front shackles under the bumper like most other models. 81" ('55-'71) or 84" ('72-'83) wheelbase. Front fenders are rounded like all subsequent short-wheelbase Jeeps. Easily distinguished from the CJ-7 by a small doorway with a rounded, sloping rear edge.

~ CJ-6 - Essentially a CJ-5 that was stretched 20" ('58-75), intended for use as a small pickup

~ CJ-7 - A compromise between the CJ-5 and CJ-6, having a 93.4" wheelbase (like the YJ and TJ). The body tub is very similar to the YJ and TJ, but the rear wheel wells are round instead of angular. Made '76-'86.

~ CJ-8 - Also called a "Scrambler." Similar to a CJ-7, but with an extra 10" of wheelbase and an even longer rear overhang. Like the CJ-6, it was intended as a small pickup, but never really found its niche. Only 27,000 were made from '81-'86. Commonly seen with half-cab tops that surround only the front seats.

~ CJ-10 - A more truck-like Jeep built mainly for export from 1981-85. A small number were also sold to the US Air Force for use in pulling aircraft around runways. These Jeeps had very stout drivetrains compared with their smaller brethren. Easily distinguished by the square headlights in the fenders and the 10-slat grille.

~ YJ - The original Wrangler, made '87-'95 (though production actually continued into March of '96). Rectangular headlights make it the bastard child of the short-wheelbase line. Rear wheel wells are larger and more angled than the CJ-7, but otherwise the two are visually quite similar.

~ TJ - The second generation Wrangler, made '97-present (actually began shipping May of '96). Round headlights, coil suspension, and a much more car-like interior distinguish it from the YJ.

~ LJ - Introduced in 2004 as a 2004 1/2 model, the LJ or TJ - L is a lengthened wheelbase version of the TJ. 10" were added to the wheelbase, and 15" overall to the vehicle. Initially only available with a 4 spd auto transmission, all are equipped with the Dana 44 rear axle.

~ SJ - The full-size Cherokee ('74-'83), Wagoneer ('63-'83), Grand Wagoneer ('84-'91), and J-truck. In 1984, Jeep introduced the downsized XJ and started calling them Cherokees and Wagoneers, leaving only the Grand Wagoneer in the SJ lineup until its demise in '91.

~ M-715 - A 5/4-ton military pickup built '67-69. It somewhat resembles a J-truck (SJ), with more attitude. The M-725 was the ambulance version of the M-715.

~ XJ - The downsized Cherokee ('84-'01) and Wagoneer ('84-'89). It was (probably?) the first Jeep to use a unibody chassis.

~ KJ - The Liberty ('02-present), which replaced the XJ in Jeep's product lineup.

~ ZJ - The Grand Cherokee ('93-'98), which replaced the Grand Wagoneer (SJ) as Jeep's luxury cruiser after a 1-year hiatus. Though much more aerodynamic than the SJ, it's obviously less rounded than its replacement, the WJ.

~ WJ - As the more bubble-shaped, aerodynamic replacement for the ZJ, it continues the Grand Cherokee name ('98- 2004).

~ WK – The latest version of the Grand Cherokee offers a less rounded look, in favor of angles and straight lines. Hemi engine is optional and offers impressive performance (2005 – Present)

~ MJ - The Comanche pickup ('84-'91). It shares much in common with the XJ of that era, including its unibody chassis. It replaced the full-size Gladiator and J-truck pickups of the SJ era.

~ DJ-3A - Dispatcher (postal) version of the CJ-3A, made '56-65. Only 2-wheel drive versions were available.

~ DJ-5 - Dispatcher (postal) version of the CJ-5, made '65-87 by Jeep and then AM General. Only 2-wheel drive versions were available. A DJ-6 (long, like the CJ-6) was also made from '65-68.

~ VJ - The Jeepster ('48-50) was an attempt by Willys to spice up their vehicle lineup. 2WD, 72hp, and poor marketing doomed it to be discontinued after less than three years.

~ C-101 - The Jeepster Commando ('66-73) was an attempt by Kaiser to compete with the Bronco and Toyota Land Cruiser. The C101 was part CJ and part Wagoneer, advertised as a "happy combo, racy and rugged." This time around it had 4WD, and came in convertibles, hardtop wagons, and half-cab pickups.

~ FC - Forward Control pickups, with the cab directly above the engine. Made '57-'63

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
will176
GX Member

will176 is on a distinguished road
Y= xlr and corvette

2001 gls 3400 sfi
will176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
this is turning in to a pretty good information thread
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
trickyricky23r
GX Member

trickyricky23r is on a distinguished road
model designation

Model Designation Chart Oldsmobile
1999-2004
Catalog Vin
Model Code Series Body Style Vin
---------- ---- ------ ------------------- ------
Nk37 1 Alero Gx 2 Dr Notchback(coupe) 1g3nk1
Nl37 1 Alero Gl 2 Dr Notchback(coupe) 1g3nl1
Nl37+w33 1 Alero Gls 2 Dr Notchback(coupe) 1g3nf1
Nk69 5 Alero Gx 4 Dr Notchback(sedan) 1g3nk5
Nl69 5 Alero Gl 4 Dr Notchback(sedan) 1g3nl5
Nl69+w33 5 Alero Gls 4 Dr Notchback(sedan) 1g3nf5

it messed up the spacing when i posteed it, but you get the idea
trickyricky23r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #16
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Mmmmmmmm J-bodies.... Mmmmm I loves me a good 1987-1990 Cavi Z24! I miss nearly all of mine! If I wasn't in the process of buying kyles alero if be buying another Z this weekend! I just saw a sweet one for sale! Mmmmmm
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

78-81 are "A" bodies, but are considered part of the "G" body platform range because of the name switch in 1982, when the A body was supposed to replace what became the G body because at the time the G body was going to replace the B body, hence the 1982 refresh that made the cars look more like the Caprice. Reality of it was that the A body supplemented the J body as alternatives to the failed FWD X body (Citation). The W body effectively replaced the G body, which is what they wanted to do with the FWD A body. By this time, most of the G bodies were coupes, sedans were phased out in 1983, leaving only the coupes. The 1980's Cutlass Supremes (all Olds were Cutlass in the 1980's except for the Firenza, 88, 98, and Toronado)

Anyways, I'm not sure where this thread is going, but if you want to know about GM platforms, their platforms usually began in relation to another platform... for example the 1st N bodies were closely related to the J bodies up until the 1997 redesign (with the Malibu). This is mostly true in which the J and N both had V6's, both had a 5x100 bolt pattern, both were compact cars. The L body (Corsica, before the Malibu) was developed separately but is practically an N body. When the Malibu was developed, the project was merged with the Alero and Grand Am (the only name to survive, both Acheiva and Cutlass Calais were names used on the Alero's predecessors) and lost most of the J body's distinctions whereas the J body became strictly 4 cylinder with no wagons in 1995.

The W body was its own platform, perhaps the biggest one developed during the Roger Smith era. The goal was more or less to have 70's A body (Chevelle, Lemans, Skylark, Cutlass) volume. Ironically it was supposed to be a mid size platform, and it's evident in the first FWD Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass Surpeme, and Lumina but when the Impala came around, it grew bigger to become a full size platform. Even though the new Impala is bigger than the W Impala, it was the de facto full size car for GM. Only the H body was bigger than the W body.

Here's where it gets confusing... GM has always had different full size platforms. Historically, the B body is actually the smallest full size car frame they had. The C was bigger than the B body and was for Buick, Olds, and Cadillac. When GM switched to FWD, the C body shrunk to H body proportions, essentially making them the same car. It didn't help that the cars started to look the same and people started thinking that the cars were upper trims of each other in the brand lines. Ironically, both C and H were developed concurrently and the H was meant to replace the B body.

Cadillac on the other hand got a new platform for the Seville, which Ironically was based on the Nova. The K body Seville of 1975-1980 was essentially based on a muscle car, because the X body which carried the Nova, Apollo (Later Skylark), Ventura (later Phoenix) and Omega shared components with the F body (Camaro/Firebird), notably the front end. A lot of X body owners swap F body parts, and they fit with no real modifications.

When the C and K switched to FWD, the K essentially grew in size whereas the C shrunk and was similar to the H. It stayed like this until the Aurora came out. At this point (1995), the B body had a new body on the same 1977 frame (and as such, you can put a box caprice on a bubble frame), the K body grew essentially defeating the purpose of the Seville and became Deville sized. It then essentially became the whole Cadillac lineup excluding the Fleetwood/Brougham but including the Eldorado, which had been GM's first FWD car (along with the Toronado). The Eldorado was on the E platform, but merged with the K platform, more or less becoming the 2 door Seville in the 80's with the Buick Riviera tagging along with it when it too downsized and the Olds Toronado which at this point somehow ended up looking like the N body Calais. The C platform was left with the Park Ave and 98, and then there's the mess with the H platform.

The H platform was intended to replace the B body - which before 1984 included the Bonneville, Caprice, Impala, Delta 88, and LeSabre. After 1981, the Bonneville downsized again becoming the G body. Then it grew again when the 88 and LeSabre went to the H body. The Caprice was the only B body car and more or less merged with the former C body which became the D body. The Fleetwood/Brougham were essentially longer Caprices.

At this point all these cars were separate platforms. The K and related E, the C and the H.

1995 rolls around and the Aurora came out, on its own platform. This platform was named "G" and was the top of the line, even better than Caddy's K platform.

Then 2000 comes. At this point, the H body cars were old, being in the market with the same body for 8 years. Olds lost the 88 and 98 and what remained all merged with the Aurora. At this point, the K, C, and H platforms were all the same thing because all the cars moved to the G platform but still labeled as their original platform letters in the VIN. Therefore a 2000 Bonneville is the same thing as the Deville but they're still considered H and K bodies respectively. The G platform outlived the brand it was developed for, lasting 6 more years after the demise of Olds when the last cars (Lucerne and DTS) were replaced by nothing (some say the Lacrosse) and XTS.

Now, GM only has 5 platforms for cars. Delta and Epsilon, which stretches or shrinks depending on the car; Zeta, which is the RWD plaform, Alpha - which will replace Zeta and replaced Sigma (which in turn replaced the K platform), Gamma - which is the small car platform and then there's... the Y body. The only platform to go along unmolested since the C4 Corvette was introduced. This is the only GM platform that has kept the original naming nomenclature despite a C7 being nothing like a C4. The only thing that will interchange are the wheels.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 03-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 AM   #18
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
78-81 are "A" bodies, but are considered part of the "G" body platform range because of the name switch in 1982, when the A body was supposed to replace what became the G body because at the time the G body was going to replace the B body, hence the 1982 refresh that made the cars look more like the Caprice. Reality of it was that the A body supplemented the J body as alternatives to the failed FWD X body (Citation). The W body effectively replaced the G body, which is what they wanted to do with the FWD A body. By this time, most of the G bodies were coupes, sedans were phased out in 1983, leaving only the coupes. The 1980's Cutlass Supremes (all Olds were Cutlass in the 1980's except for the Firenza, 88, 98, and Toronado)

Anyways, I'm not sure where this thread is going, but if you want to know about GM platforms, their platforms usually began in relation to another platform... for example the 1st N bodies were closely related to the J bodies up until the 1997 redesign (with the Malibu). This is mostly true in which the J and N both had V6's, both had a 5x100 bolt pattern, both were compact cars. The L body (Corsica, before the Malibu) was developed separately but is practically an N body. When the Malibu was developed, the project was merged with the Alero and Grand Am (the only name to survive, both Acheiva and Cutlass Calais were names used on the Alero's predecessors) and lost most of the J body's distinctions whereas the J body became strictly 4 cylinder with no wagons in 1995.

The W body was its own platform, perhaps the biggest one developed during the Roger Smith era. The goal was more or less to have 70's A body (Chevelle, Lemans, Skylark, Cutlass) volume. Ironically it was supposed to be a mid size platform, and it's evident in the first FWD Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass Surpeme, and Lumina but when the Impala came around, it grew bigger to become a full size platform. Even though the new Impala is bigger than the W Impala, it was the de facto full size car for GM. Only the H body was bigger than the W body.

Here's where it gets confusing... GM has always had different full size platforms. Historically, the B body is actually the smallest full size car frame they had. The C was bigger than the B body and was for Buick, Olds, and Cadillac. When GM switched to FWD, the C body shrunk to H body proportions, essentially making them the same car. It didn't help that the cars started to look the same and people started thinking that the cars were upper trims of each other in the brand lines. Ironically, both C and H were developed concurrently and the H was meant to replace the B body.

Cadillac on the other hand got a new platform for the Seville, which Ironically was based on the Nova. The K body Seville of 1975-1980 was essentially based on a muscle car, because the X body which carried the Nova, Apollo (Later Skylark), Ventura (later Phoenix) and Omega shared components with the F body (Camaro/Firebird), notably the front end. A lot of X body owners swap F body parts, and they fit with no real modifications.

When the C and K switched to FWD, the K essentially grew in size whereas the C shrunk and was similar to the H. It stayed like this until the Aurora came out. At this point (1995), the B body had a new body on the same 1977 frame (and as such, you can put a box caprice on a bubble frame), the K body grew essentially defeating the purpose of the Seville and became Deville sized. It then essentially became the whole Cadillac lineup excluding the Fleetwood/Brougham but including the Eldorado, which had been GM's first FWD car (along with the Toronado). The Eldorado was on the E platform, but merged with the K platform, more or less becoming the 2 door Seville in the 80's with the Buick Riviera tagging along with it when it too downsized and the Olds Toronado which at this point somehow ended up looking like the N body Calais. The C platform was left with the Park Ave and 98, and then there's the mess with the H platform.

The H platform was intended to replace the B body - which before 1984 included the Bonneville, Caprice, Impala, Delta 88, and LeSabre. After 1981, the Bonneville downsized again becoming the G body. Then it grew again when the 88 and LeSabre went to the H body. The Caprice was the only B body car and more or less merged with the former C body which became the D body. The Fleetwood/Brougham were essentially longer Caprices.

At this point all these cars were separate platforms. The K and related E, the C and the H.

1995 rolls around and the Aurora came out, on its own platform. This platform was named "G" and was the top of the line, even better than Caddy's K platform.

Then 2000 comes. At this point, the H body cars were old, being in the market with the same body for 8 years. Olds lost the 88 and 98 and what remained all merged with the Aurora. At this point, the K, C, and H platforms were all the same thing because all the cars moved to the G platform but still labeled as their original platform letters in the VIN. Therefore a 2000 Bonneville is the same thing as the Deville but they're still considered H and K bodies respectively. The G platform outlived the brand it was developed for, lasting 6 more years after the demise of Olds when the last cars (Lucerne and DTS) were replaced by nothing (some say the Lacrosse) and XTS.

Now, GM only has 5 platforms for cars. Delta and Epsilon, which stretches or shrinks depending on the car; Zeta, which is the RWD plaform, Alpha - which will replace Zeta and replaced Sigma (which in turn replaced the K platform), Gamma - which is the small car platform and then there's... the Y body. The only platform to go along unmolested since the C4 Corvette was introduced. This is the only GM platform that has kept the original naming nomenclature despite a C7 being nothing like a C4. The only thing that will interchange are the wheels.

That is a lot of info! My brain hurts a little trying to keep it all straight.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #19
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
It really takes a while, but when you go to junkyards and you start picking around GM cars to see what you can make fit in your car, you start to realize how much the cars have in common despite being different brands. I know for a while they were truly different cars, but since the 70's they have been more or less the same cars. Once divisions became sub brands and shared the same engines, that's when it was a wrap. What I find funny is that cars that bear no relation to each other except for the same brand have pieces that interchange while cars that were more or less developed together can be so vastly different.

For example you can get a FWD 3800 and use it in a Camaro provided that you swap the Camaro specific parts. The Camaro front seats fit the Cavalier and Sunfire. The 90's H body seats fit the B/D body cars, mostly the bubbles (Caprice/Impala, Roadmaster, Fleetwood) but IDK if they fit the 80's cars. You can swap independent rear suspension on a J body using N body parts. There's a write up of that on the Cavalier forum. The Cadillacs and the Aurora have the battery under the seat, but the Buicks have them in the hood. The cars are only the same structurally, but manage to be completely different... for example a 3800 swap into a Cadillac isn't doable as say a 3800 swap into a 1st gen W (which only Buick got, the rest had the DOHC engine that's infamous for being a bitch to work on). The 2004 and 2005 Pontiac Bonneville got Northstar engines (not sure how many know that), yet it wasn't a big deal as when the W body got a V8.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #20
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Even though it's bringing back an old thread here is the platform for every car I've owned.

Oldsmobile Alero- N-Body Platform.
Oldsmobile Intrigue- W-Body Platform.
Chevrolet HHR- Delta Platform.
Volvo S60 R- Volvo P2 Platform.
Mazda3- Mazda BL Platform.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote