Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Th0r
GX Member

Th0r will become famous soon enough
catless?

I'm sure I could search but I'm on my phone. Simple question. Can I run without a cat without any issues other than a light? Some unexpected bills hurt the budget and I'm litterally in the middle of doing my exhaust.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
uh... duh lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
yep, just don't go do any inspections and deal with the light. it'll be fine til you get one.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Th0r
GX Member

Hey cut me some slack. I work at a caddy dealership. I'm used to seeing cars run like shit or go into limp mode with a hollowed cat. :P Just wanted to make sure our ecm isn't as anal. Haha.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Yes it just helps filter the exhaust so without it your car will smell ugly out the muffler. Oh and dont forget it will sound like shit.
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
shouldn't happen on any car. the rear O2 doesn't do anything but monitor how well the cat is converting the dangerous gases. that's stupid if the PCM would take any action based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
Yes it just helps filter the exhaust so without it your car will smell ugly out the muffler. Oh and dont forget it will sound like shit.
Yeah mine sounds like shit right? It's the quietest thing ever when I don't have the cutout open. Even with the cutout open it's not too crazy.

Cutout open: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlbcASDGdy8

Cutout closed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayHajgTw8XY
(old video, BOV sounds cleaner now. new vid with flyby's soon)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

A boosted car is different....Im referring to a N/A car.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Th0r
GX Member

I've got a 24" resonator off a northstar STS to keep shiity sound to a minimum. 2.5" diameter so it mates to the header downpipe perfectly.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
A boosted car is different....Im referring to a N/A car.
N/A car with the same mufflers I have is quiet too. Not near as quiet as a turbocharged one, but still the least obnoxious it can be without a cat.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

Well I prefer to run with a cat.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
It is a fact that some cars will run slower times with the cat removed. Back pressure is necessary.

I assume that this is the same case with aleros?
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Th0r
GX Member

Exhaust is on. The caddy resonator measured up alright but, once welded up, there wasn't enough clearance to keep it from rattling against the underside. So I the shop ran 2.5" header back to a Dynomax super turbo. Sounded like tin-canned shit. They put a glass pack in line as a resonator and it smoothed it out a lot. It's still louder then I wanted though. It sounds pretty deep and not the typical honda BrapBrapBrap sound, but I still may have to swap in a straight-thru muffler in place of the glass pack to quiet it down a little bit more. I'll have to see how well the muffler breaks in. My tip also seems a bit too large now that it's on the car. bah!

Last edited by Th0r : 12-11-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Th0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

Weird. I have a magnaflow straight through 4" can before the Dynomax Super Turbo (Camaro style)
Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
i love my dynomax super. sounds nothing like a typical 4 cylinder
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Th0r
GX Member

Ion, so you have both mufflers behind your bumper, or is one mid-body? I probably will go with a 4" magnaflow once money gets better.

On another note, I found this on j-body and it seems to be working for my downstream 02 sensor. You need 2 18mm spark plug anti-foulers. the HELP! part number is 42009. $6 and no CEL. Gotta read to get the full info since it's old and links are broken. http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...5&t=309456&p=1

One thing is for sure, I have more pull in the top end and I like it. I'll post pics later.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

The Magnaflow straight through can is mid-body right after my cutout. Both of those together seem to be nice and quiet yet still high flow.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
ok i found a dumby o2 sensor, google an o2 sensor eliminator they are like $50 on ebay

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
ion, what kind of performance differences do you see with the cutout open vs closed? (numbers if possible)

when I had broken exhaust (basically open pipes) it felt like about 5-10 seat hp more; but sounded like shit (but I've always been NA). Now I have Pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat, magnaflow straight-through (mid-body) and a Borla Pro-XS behind the axle and sounds pretty nice, but the performance feels like just a more-peppy OEM.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

Dunno, don't feel any difference really. It's loud and sounds insane at WOT... I can do an open vs. closed test at the track in the spring, but it will probably be a minimal difference.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
speaking of cats, isnt it tme for some of the first aleros not to need cats after 2013 or 14, no emissions tests on inspections?
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote