Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Been a while since I've looked at this but the Wisco piston's with the cometic boost gasket will put our motor @ 8.5:1 right?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #22
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
I wish I had your patience Chris, I am nearing the stopping point with mine. Want a carbon fiber hood for cheap?
Yeah, I've run into a lot of very difficult to pinpoint issues throughout my modding of this car, and it's taken a lot of effort to make it what it is, but I'll always have the keep on trucking attitude, because the car only gets more enjoyable and more fun to drive for me as time goes on.

How cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSweat83 View Post
Been a while since I've looked at this but the Wisco piston's with the cometic boost gasket will put our motor @ 8.5:1 right?
When you say "boost gasket" do you mean the one with .074" thickness? The compression ratio doesn't change that significantly with the head gasket thickness options. With the stock gasket I have a 9:1 compression ratio (stock gasket thickness: .047") and now with the Cometic .030" gasket my CR will likely be something like 9.05:1 or something very minimally larger.

Also, stuck this on today. The unamused face for when I drive by:
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #23
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

oh my god i love this decal . where the hell can i get one
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alero_bmxer View Post
oh my god i love this decal . where the hell can i get one
http://store.detroitmotorapparel.com/product/unamused
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
only you Ion.

also... weren't you the one organizing the hazard switch awesome smiley sticker, a while back? what happened to that??
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #26
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
thats awesome
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #27
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
GL with the build.

You'll get it right, but IDK why you though of using a GM gasket on a bossted app. I understand you were in a rush, but still.

Tuner kid: please stop posting. You clearly have no clue

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #28
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
When I have the cash together for a new car this one will be parted, say under a year. I'm not sure how much right now. Whats it worth?
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
I'm no expert on it, but I've never heard of forged aluminum rods. Pistons, yes, but not rods. The pushrods are going to be made of either chromemoly or steel, depending on what kind of money you want to spend, and they might be cast iron in a stock engine.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #30
tunerkid
GX Member

tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid tunerkid
i'm talking about connecting rods. i heard they are aluminum.i know pushrods aren't they'd be trashed in seconds
tunerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Well same story as push rods, I've never seen aluminum connecting rods, it just wouldn't work with the kind of strain they take. Most likely is chromemoly or steel.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #32
heineck
A-mod Pirate

me neither, eagle rods are forged steel
Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #33
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
IDK why you though of using a GM gasket on a bossted app. I understand you were in a rush, but still.
With ARP studs, it should've held up; however, I went too easy on the shorter studs near where the leak originated. If everything was torqued to 90 lb-ft, it likely would have lasted longer. Either way, the MLS will endure anything that my setup will ever throw at it.

Last edited by Redog : 09-11-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: crap deleted
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #34
[ion] C2
636 whp

Got the head back today. Ordered the new gasket direct from Cometic, should be here Thursday, and then everything can go back together.

Ballin'

Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #35
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks nice! Give the machinist a thumbs up from me!
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #36
[ion] C2
636 whp

All they do, all day, is build fancy engines and do machining and fabrication. Most of them are very familiar with the LD9 and previous versions. As soon as I walked in the door carrying the head one of the guys was like "Alright, a Quad 4!" just by glancing at the head.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #37
Malibu369258
GL Member

Malibu369258 is on a distinguished road
noice!!!
Malibu369258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #38
heineck
A-mod Pirate

Nice, so u just had it resurfaced?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #39
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yeah it was machined to the proper spec for the Cometic gasket and then jet cleaned. I dropped it off to them super dirty.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #40
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerkid View Post
i'm talking about connecting rods. i heard they are aluminum.i know pushrods aren't they'd be trashed in seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
Well same story as push rods, I've never seen aluminum connecting rods, it just wouldn't work with the kind of strain they take. Most likely is chromemoly or steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post
me neither, eagle rods are forged steel

There are plenty of rods out there that are made from aluminum... either forged or billet... Less mass=more HP.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote