Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
I wish I had an LD9, it's frustrating trying to do anything to the LA1. Plus DOHC beats pushrod anyday IMO
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
I wish I had an LD9, it's frustrating trying to do anything to the LA1. Plus DOHC beats pushrod anyday IMO

True story!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

why? there are tons of option for you, just because you don't have the funds doesn't mean its a frustrating motor option.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Lucalare
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
why? there are tons of option for you, just because you don't have the funds doesn't mean its a frustrating motor option.

Unfortunately I can't do anything with this car that will leave it out of commission for a day or week or anything like that. It's the only car I have and can't really get by without it.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Well, don't blame the motor for that. The motor is obviously not the problem if that is what is holding you back.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Lucalare
GLS member

Quote:
Well, don't blame the motor for that. The motor is obviously not the problem if that is what is holding you back.

But with the LD9 there are more things I could do without taking the motor out (Cams, intake mainfold, headers, etc.) that you almost have to pull an LA1 to do.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

You can do headers, heads, and intake manifold fairly easy on the 60degree without pulling the motor....

Ion can correct me, but IMO, putting cams in the quad 4 seems like a pain in the ass to me because of the timing chain cover.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Lucalare
GLS member

I wasn't sure about headers, but heads are pointless without a little cam IMO. The intake is something I might do this coming summer but with college and winter coming on soon I don't want to go there just yet. And I'm going to wait for WOT-Tech's headers cause I've heard nothing good about Pacesetter. I'm just hoping my exhaust doesn't rust out too soon cause I can't afford to have someone do a custom one for me right now.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

I would wait too on the headers, but you will see decent gains with ported heads even without a cam.

Manifolds, TB, and headers would be a great start though!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Lucalare
GLS member

Oh yeah, I forgot the TB. I don't know if I'll ever get as far as heads though because this car needs to stay streetable, and I probably won't take it to the strip, I just like a car to have some zip to it.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Ion can correct me, but IMO, putting cams in the quad 4 seems like a pain in the ass to me because of the timing chain cover.
Yeah it is lol. You're basically down to the block when you get to the cams, the next step is undoing the head bolts...
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
i understand what hes saying about the 3400 being a PITA.....yea....if you have the funds it isnt a huge deal.....but KW....you know that a lot of people on here dont have the money to dump into the 3400....everything is tougher/more expensive for this motor.

your telling me headers are fairy easy on this!? i had enough trouble with the damn sparkplugs....i cant imagine how the headers would be...... lol
Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Lucalare
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
i understand what hes saying about the 3400 being a PITA.....yea....if you have the funds it isnt a huge deal.....but KW....you know that a lot of people on here dont have the money to dump into the 3400....everything is tougher/more expensive for this motor.

your telling me headers are fairy easy on this!? i had enough trouble with the damn sparkplugs....i cant imagine how the headers would be...... lol

Agreed on spark plugs! That should not be an hour and a half job, it's just ridiculous.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
i love my LD9 for that its about a 5 min. job

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Agreed on spark plugs! That should not be an hour and a half job, it's just ridiculous.

1.5 hours to change the plugs? Are we talking about an Alero or a Venture.

30 minutes, taking my time

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
Lucalare
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
1.5 hours to change the plugs? Are we talking about an Alero or a Venture.

30 minutes, taking my time

I had the factory plugs still at 80,000 miles, they were seriously stuck cause they never put any anti-seize on them originally. Plus I have big arms so it was hard to get back there, lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice, the off-topic stuff from the intake manifold thread was moved into a new thread.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
kwhauck
2Screwy

yeah sorry about that ion, looks like a quality manifold, you think they would be interested in doing a one-off v6 for my whipple?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

No reason not to, need a car to do measurements/fitment on though probably.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Nice, the off-topic stuff from the intake manifold thread was moved into a new thread.

what KW said....sorry bud.....i tend to do that a lot

Anyways, ken.....30 min job....good for you. Not for me, took me about 30 min just to do the rear ones...my lower back was KILLING me after leaning over the engine bay....P-I-T-A

Everything is tougher/more expensive on the 3400...... i love the engine, dont like the price for things though. I mean....headers for example....quality ones cost me $900.....how much is it for a header for the 4 bangers? $200? Point proven!