Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
How To: Seafoam and Regular Maintenance for 3.4 Engine

UPDATE: http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Above is the link to seafoam's webpage with specific how to instructions. Added info is use of SEAFOAM SPRAY if it is unknown whether your selected PCV line evenly distributes throughout the engine. Also, do not spray SEAFOAM SPRAY on your MAF sensor-you must detach the rubber boot and spray the throttle body.

There have been a few posts about seafoam and using it on our engines but I wanted to post the method that I have researched and personally use on my vehicle. I will write this up including other routine maintenance you can perform on your vehicle at the same time to aid in maintaining performance and increasing mpg.

Situation:
-2004 Sedan with 3.4 engine
-CAI with K&N filter
-High Flow Cat
-2.5" Pacesetter Cat-Back Exhaust

So we will begin with a purchased can of wonderful Seafoam cleaner.

First thing first: pour a 1/3 of it into your oil reservoir and a 1/3 in your gas tank. The purpose of this is to mix the cleaning agent with your oil and gas so it can circulate through your engine and work its magic as you drive around. I suggest doing this when you fill your gas tank and allow the oil to circulate for the mileage of one gas tank. Drive at all speeds so the oil can be fully circulated multiple times.

At the end of one gas tank it is time to administer Seafoam to your air intake system. While facing the 3.4 engine from left to right, the MAF sensor connects to black ribbed tubing which connects your your CAI piping. On the black ribbed tubing, locate the PCV plug located on top and remove it. This is where you will inject the Seafoam.

(Note: Being only a home mechanic I use a thin funnel in the opening where the PCV plug inserts. If anyone has a more efficient means of injecting a liquid please let me know)

With your funnel inserted, have a friend rev the engine to about 2-2.5k rpms. Pour the other 1/3 seafoam into the funnel at a rate that nearly chokes the engine but not quite. Too fast and it just drains down your CAI piping and too slow diminishes the concentration. The engine will stutter, sputter and throw a service engine soon light-all of these things are okay and temporary. It is just your car responding appropriately to the seafoam. If the car starts to choke out, give it a little more rev because the goal is to suck the solution through the throttle body and into the engine.

I do this when the engine is cool. The engine idles higher at cooler temperatures and seafoam is flammable.

(Note: I typically use 1/2 a bottle for the intake since I have an imperfect means of injecting it into the engine directly. It is compensation for losing some down the CAI tubing.)

Varying colors of smoke will emit from the exhaust. That is the seafoam doing its job. But as soon as the last of your seafoam is injected into the intake system, cut the engine off, re-plug the PCV and go to bed. Let the seafoam "marinate" in the engine overnight for ample de-carbonizing time.

In the morning, start it up and smoke and carbon will pour from your exhaust-but you have to fully flush the system with lots of air-in and air-out. Plan a trip with your honey that has some high speed highways to aid in this process. Drive it like a madman for at least half a gas tank to fully flush the carbon that has been broken down by the seafoam. Trust me when I say it is not enough just to not see anymore smoke coming from the exhaust-put some miles into it.

Seafoaming your intake system contaminates/dirties the oil since it cools and lubricates components of the combustion system. Oil is further dirtied by the cleaning via oil-added seafoam. In essence: an oil change is in order. But this is why it is important to fully flush the engine intake-if you do not, you will re-contaminate the clean oil from your oil change! Do not tell me that the seafoam solution makes the oil "slipperier" and makes things more lubricated. The purpose is the CLEAN your engine, why would your leave the dirty fluid inside to re-circulate!

Conduct an oil change and notice how your oil is quite dirty indeed. (depending on how often you perform these processes)

During or after the oil change, I like to clean my CAI filter (following K&N instructions and mileage/condition requires) and clean my MAF sensor (via How-to on Aleromod.com).

After the filter and MAF dry, re-assemble and add new oil/filter. At this time I fill up with a fresh tank of gas and add more seafoam (gallon:formula concentration on bottle) to the tank to top off the entire process. You can also add more seafoam to the oil crankcase for a longer, more thorough clean of your engine components.

With your systems flushed, clean oil, filter and MAF-sit back and enjoy better idle, performance and mpg.

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 05-18-2011 at 03:43 PM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
The Down and Dirty of it All

1. Add seafoam to oil crankcase and fuel tank.

2. Drive 250 miles at various speeds.

3. Air Intake Clean: Start engine when cool.

4. Remove PCV plug of air intake, insert funnel where plug used to be.

5. Rev engine to 2-2.5K rpms, pour 1/3-1/2 bottle of seafoam into funnel.

6. Shut off engine when seafoam administered. Let car sit overnight.

7. In morning, drive at least 150-200 miles at various speeds to flush intake system and carbon deposits.

8. Change oil. Clean CAI filter and MAF sensor.

9. Optional: add seafoam to new oil/gas for extended clean.

10. Enjoy goodness
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
I was looking on the the Sea Foam website and they didn't mention anything on adding sea foam into the PCV plug hole of the air intake. They make a spray for the air intake system. I assume your method is still safe though. How come you add it to the PCV plug? Maybe I've misread their website. I wanted to Sea Foam, but I just wanna make sure I know what I'm doing before I buy a can and do it.

Edit: I guess i spoke too soon lol. I watched their youtube video and they tell you to pour it into the PCV valve.

Last edited by Shiwnath : 10-14-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
i beleive you can also add it through the vac line thats on the brake booster.

havnt tried the aerosol version down the intake though but i wanna try it and see if it works or if liquid is better vs air
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
lord2heart
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
i'm not sure about running it 250 mi thing. after i let it bake in there for a while, i just go up and down my road real hard (of course while being safe ) untill its not smoking like crazy
Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
being in a town, I really can't do that driving around... All that smoke would get me pulled over.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
nah, I drove right up route 1 in portsmouth, nh with smoke pouring outta the back of my saturn, passed 2 cops, got some really dirty looks, but didnt get pulled over
Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

If someone has a link to where you can view/purchase the aerosol version it would be awesome to put up. I have heard about using other lines, and it is different depending on the engine. The 3.4 is the one I have and the only one I am savvy with.

The mileage is a guestimate. You just need a lot of variation of speeds/RPMs to acquire different forces of air through the engine. It doesn't hurt to leave it in there that long, but an oil change should be conducted in the very near future.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
lord2heart
GL Member

i get mine from advanced auto parts. auto zone maybe.

you can also order stuff from advanced auto parts from their site
Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
When i do it, i pull the PCV out, and put that right on the mouth of the bottle. Its a perfect fit in the opening.

And i would suggest to do it on a slightly windy day, so you can just run the gas in your driveway/road and let the smoke get carried somewhere else.
(i'm lucky to have a backyard with no-one in it... by time it gets back there, its pretty well dissipated)
Old 10-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
When i do it, i pull the PCV out, and put that right on the mouth of the bottle. Its a perfect fit in the opening.

And i would suggest to do it on a slightly windy day, so you can just run the gas in your driveway/road and let the smoke get carried somewhere else.
(i'm lucky to have a backyard with no-one in it... by time it gets back there, its pretty well dissipated)

What confuses me is that some people do it using the PCV and some with the brake booster. Which one is easier to do? I haven't seafoamed before so I just want the best results.
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
What confuses me is that some people do it using the PCV and some with the brake booster. Which one is easier to do? I haven't seafoamed before so I just want the best results.

Any vacuum line will work, but on this car the brake booster line looks like it would be a pain to get at, and the PCV is very easy to disconnect. Just do what's easier.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Ttop191
GLS member

yeah, PCV is much easier to get at on the LA1, when i did it on my civic though, i used the brake booster, really doesn't make a difference, just ease of access
Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

[quote=cherrington17;560426]When i do it, i pull the PCV out, and put that right on the mouth of the bottle. Its a perfect fit in the opening. QUOTE]

If I am understanding you correctly you basically upend the bottle on the opening? Seems like that would come out a little too quickly...

On the 3400 the PCV is easiest in my opinion because I have no idea where the brake booster line is haha. But the PCV is right on top of the engine and see to see/access.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
come out too quickly? you start pouring slowly... then when someone puts the hammer down on the pedal, you totally invert the bottle and try to choke the life from the engine. It soaks the valves and really gets them clean.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Never heard of gunning it...I would be worried about damaging the engine being in neutral and all. But I see the tactic. 3k RPM is about as high as I go.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
Ttop191
GLS member

yeah when i do it i never bring it above 3k
Old 10-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

pfft, i went to the rev limit. the engine was built to be RUN... not babied. its a machine...
Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Unless you're running low on oil or coolant, your engine can take the rev limit just fine. That's why it's there, any higher will cause damage, but the 6kish is fine as long as you aren't there for like half an hour.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I imagine physics play into this someone. Revving the engine creates power, that power is distributed to the wheels and the vehicle moves forward. If you are doing this in idle, the power is not being delivered any where except to the engine components.

But to each their own. 3k max works just fine for those who worry about it.