Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
thermostat

Hello i am new to the site. I believe that my thermostat has went bad as i drove around town two other times today and it ran at the right temp. I was getting ready to go out and give another driving lesson to one of our foreign students at my college when i noticed that it was a little above half. My question is the exact location of the thermostat in the 2.2 ecotec and what tools are needed to change it. I am currently at my dorm on campus and have limited tools so i need to know if I have what it would take to fix it or if I am going to have to baby it home where i have access to more tools
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
jlong
GL Member

jlong is on a distinguished road
I looked at changing mine just for routine maintenance and it's a pita to get at. From what I understand you have to remove the exhaust manifold 1st. I think a basic set of mechanic tools should get the job done.

I chose not to replace mine. I have an '04 with 102K mi. No problems so far.
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
i guess i am going to have to get it home then. I might have to drive my truck next week cuz i don't think i will have time to tear all that apart this weekend. The only thermostat i changed if i remember right took a screw driver, a socket, and about 15 min
Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
00oldsalero
GX Member

00oldsalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 00oldsalero Send a message via Yahoo to 00oldsalero
i had problems with my temp going up i have an 00 with the 3.4 it was a pita did it without removing the exhaust manifold drove it to pittsburge for the nationals in 09 and on the way home the temp went up and puked antifreez out when i stopped for some gas i got it home and i changed the cap on the bottle didnt have a problem since the rad cap on the bottle went bad
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
03glgold
GLS member

When i went to the parts store it threw a code on the way and said there was a problem with fan #1 circuit. I tried to replace the relay but they didn't have the right one at the part store. ( common enough car that you would think that they would carry them ). I noticed however that neither fan ever came on so does fan 1 have to have a proper connection for fan 2 to work. I believe if not that it would be possible for the relays for fan 1 and fan 2 to have recently gone bad. It has been cold here, however it was warm today when i had the overheating problem. I noticed when i went to the part store that as long as i kept it in the cool wind it wouldn't go above temp but if i got it out of the cool wind then it started to climb. This leads me to believe that the thermostat is fine. I am getting irritated with this car as i bought it to cause less worries than driving my 89 f250 with 370,000mi, but it has been a bigger headache than the truck
Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

i need to add that the light didn't come on until i accidentally hit a pothole and when i hit the pothole the car died...where would the harness clip be on the fans themselves...srry for leaving that out trying to go to sleep thinking things through and this is what i thought of
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

while this thread was a long time ago i figured that i would add that the problem was the temp sensor...thanks to those who gave advice
Old 04-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
glad you got your problem fixed, what part of KS are you from?
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
03glgold
GLS member

clay center
Old 04-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, ok..your about 2 hrs from me, and looks like your pretty close to blackjack
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

yep...i actually work in junction during the summer