Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation front strut/spring 'clunking'

drivers side front spring seems to be little weaker then rest, im assuming this is attributed the 'thunk' it will make when cornering and hitting a bump. I know I have read about this before but apparently im not searching for the right thing. help please, need to get this fixed.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
mount probably
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Probably mount. Also could be the rear bushing on the control arm. Know for tearing or pulling though and then the control arm bangs on the frame
Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
Probably mount. Also could be the rear bushing on the control arm. Know for tearing or pulling though and then the control arm bangs on the frame

After driving it today with the windows down something is definitely rattling around and a bump or cornering will give the louder 'thunk'. ^that sounds very plausible for the way its acting. I should be able to get under there tomorrow and check it out.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Mine did that and i am pretty sure it is mounts...my car stopped doing it with my new tires on 16" wheels whereas i had 15's...i dont know what caused it to stop
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I had that issue with the rear right mount on my car. With my hearing, I thought it was coming from the C pillar

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
When I had mine and had that sound, it was the mounts. Those would be the first things to check.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Frosttea
GX Member

Frosttea is on a distinguished road
I had that problem then one day I turned and a really big clunk came turns out my spring was some how spread open and it bend and rips my tire apart take the tire off and check that.I feel lucky that it happened to me coming outta a driveway and not on the highway
Frosttea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosttea View Post
I had that problem then one day I turned and a really big clunk came turns out my spring was some how spread open and it bend and rips my tire apart take the tire off and check that.I feel lucky that it happened to me coming outta a driveway and not on the highway

wow...

Checked it out today, it is the strut mount.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
darn it, wanted to say it may be the mount too.
Hmm well if you're already in there, why not change the whole strut with a new mount. Kinda the same work.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

It has to wait until I have the funds unfortunately. The front end will get new mounts and struts on both sides, rotors and brakes, and paint the calipers when I get to it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
if you haven't planned something fancy, there should be a complete strut with mounts and shits and giggles, from monroe and another company.

I think that would be a cost effective way to get the job done.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Pics?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Lots of people complaining about the springs in these cars over on http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Not a lot of complaints about that here though. Anyway, I have already concluded that if replacing struts on these cars use a quick strut because the OE mounts are not particularly good either.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

besides the mounts being shot not all of my sound was coming from them. a good part of it is the rack and pinion moving rather dramatically. About any inch of play in it and tie rod bushings are shot. car goes in next week for pretty much all new steering from the column to knuckle.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
yikes$$$$$$$
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
zzyzzx
GLS member

Are the springs breaking in area where they use road salt or does this happen everywhere?

This person in Boston blamed potholes:
http://www.virtualroadside.com/blog/...n-my-grand-am/

It's still unclear to me if it's just the front springs or all 4 that tend to brake.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 06-20-2014 at 11:19 AM.