Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
02alerogx

I'm looking to put a turbo in my alero and am looking for a vendor to get a full turbo kit, (turbo, manifold, intercooler, piping, etc.) any help would be appreciated
Old 09-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
xbxradxsx
GX Member

xbxradxsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out turbokits.com and under the 02 and up cavalier. It is a stage2, and says that it may work with the same engine type with minor mods. It also says for 5 speed only. I have an automatic, and have been looking into it myself, trying to ask them questions about it. check it out here
-Red 04 Coupe, 2.2 eco, 20% tint all around, Cosmo wai, Sprint springs, both speedbuilt sway bars,18" black Enkei Ls5's -Future plans: Kyb agx's, front and rear stb's, and a lil more in the planning...
xbxradxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
wy3134

yea theres a lot of issues when it comes to finding turbo kits for automatics, once i figured that out i put to rest my turbo project, just because theres not much support for the automatic version of turbos for the ecotec. not to say theres not some out there, but the more upgraded kits are sold for the manual only. check out hahnracecraft.com, and theres another i cant think of.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:03 AM   #4
FantomForceCustoms02
GL Member

FantomForceCustoms02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FantomForceCustoms02
Yea hahn racing turbos are good if you have the manual. I emailed them about it and they shut me down cause I have the auto. So now its either a gm superchager that you can only get the stage 1 for if you have the auto or back to my air ride project.
http://www.myspace.com/fantomforce
FantomForceCustoms02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
xbxradxsx
GX Member

What's the deal with turbos on automatics? What would it hurt? Just wonderin.
-Red 04 Coupe, 2.2 eco, 20% tint all around, Cosmo wai, Sprint springs, both speedbuilt sway bars,18" black Enkei Ls5's -Future plans: Kyb agx's, front and rear stb's, and a lil more in the planning...
Old 09-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
wy3134

Quote:
Originally posted by xbxradxsx@Sep 27 2005, 05:21 PM
What's the deal with turbos on automatics? What would it hurt? Just wonderin.

wont hurt nothing, theres just a lot of issues in regards to the tuning, fitment and all, if you notice all the cars out there that there are actually good turbo kits for, they are all manual cars. the market favors the manual tranny cars. cant say i know exactly what all it has to do, but thats a couple basics.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
FantomForceCustoms02
GL Member

FantomForceCustoms02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FantomForceCustoms02
Yea it has to do with they way the intercooler piping runs and where the auto tranny is located, they interfere with eachother too much. I know a guy with the hahns turbo on his cavy and we were comparing the 2. The piping runs from the intercooler, along the motor on the driver side, then behind the motor and back down the passenger side. There is more space there with the manual tranny than the auto.
http://www.myspace.com/fantomforce
FantomForceCustoms02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
id say the bigger problem with automatic trannys is the intake to the compressor and the oil return line from the turbo... the piping can be put anywhere you want it... usually to the right of the engine ... above the motor mounts... around the radiator fluid reserve and down through the side wall.... i did a 2.4 motor with an auto with a built turbo equivilent with a stage 4 kit.... the hardest thing was routing the intake casue the shift cable was in the way.... and getting the oil return at the right angle so it clears the tranny and doesn't crimp shut...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by natedawg9640@Sep 27 2005, 12:46 PM
id say the bigger problem with automatic trannys is the intake to the compressor and the oil return line from the turbo... the piping can be put anywhere you want it... usually to the right of the engine ... above the motor mounts... around the radiator fluid reserve and down through the side wall.... i did a 2.4 motor with an auto with a built turbo equivilent with a stage 4 kit.... the hardest thing was routing the intake casue the shift cable was in the way.... and getting the oil return at the right angle so it clears the tranny and doesn't crimp shut...

holy crap, all you ever talk about is doing this one turbo install and motor build and it is the same damn thing, "i did this one car....dee dee dee....a stage 4......dee dee dee....forged rods and pistons......dee dee dee...." wow you helped with one turbo install give it a rest!!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
sorry if my ONE turbo install answers or gives useful input on just about every turbo question people ask on here... if i had a way to mix it up i would... but it works... so i tell it... so shut your ass... and no that isn't the only experience with turbocharging vehicles but it is the closest thing to an alero that i have done... so ... that's why it's the only one i refer to... so yeah it might get repedetive but it works... some time soon i will try and at least post pics so you and everyone else knows i'm not full of poop and talking out of my ass like some people on here... untill then i'd appreciate it if you would keep your bitchin to yourself casue this is a place where people go to share things they've learned and read about things they don't know... issed:

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
geedog66

i got a turbo manifold for sale pm ill let it go for 130 shipped
Old 02-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
xbxradxsx
GX Member

I just got e-mailed back the other day from turbokits.com regarding the kit for the cavi. The guy told me that the problems they found was that the auto couldn't handle the power of the stage 2 system, and that there would have to be some customization in the piping. The piping wouldn't be that big of a deal. The transimission is a different story. Isn't there a post on the power the auto tranny can support somewhere on here? It says that the kit gives 90 to 100 gain in whp. I'm still searching for it, but haven't found it yet.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Contact BlackJack, he can give you info on what you would need to overcome the trans problem...

Edit: I believe this may be the thread you were looking for??? http://invision.aleromod.com/index.p...opic=16479&hl=
Old 02-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
said it before, I'll say it again. GM's Factory sponsored race cars are the Sunfire with a 600hp ecotec, and the cavalier with the 1000hp ecotec, both using heavily built 4t65e-HD's.

If ya wanna stay 4t45, call Danny's Transmissions in Killeen TX, and I doubt you'll put enough HP out of your ecotec to blow that one.

Also, in order to get around the problem of the oil return line, then "clock" your turbo. Your mount flange is from the turbine housing. Most turbos that are worth a crap can rotate the center section a few degrees (but not far) so your oil lines dont interfere with the tranny cables.

Make sure that the inlet line is as close to top (12 o'clock) as possible so you dont starve the bearings, and ensure that the return line has as straight of a route as possible back to the oil pan, and you should be fine.

Lastly, you may have to put a pressure restriction valve inline from your oil source to the turbo so you dont "overpressure". Common problem alot of people dont think of till it's too late and have to buy a new turbo.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #15
VAAlero

Find anything yet on a 2.2L automatic turbo? Ive been trying to find one for weeks :/ No luck yet.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:08 AM   #16
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
You can get a turbo Ecotec with an automatic from the factory. It's called the Saab 9^3. All those parts should swap right on providing there's adequate room under the hood, then you'd just need a custom tune.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 AM   #17
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
The auto can handle the power. I have a turbo auto...it handles the power. I know, I know...it's not the Ecotec, but the 2.4 uses the exact same 4T40E transmission.

Most people that want a turbo kit aren't going to push stupid amounts of power. If you just want a low boost turbo setup, the auto is fine. The main problem with those kits are the charge pipes. They are routed under the engine where there's plenty of room with a manual tranny. But the auto is much bigger and there isn't much room so you'll have to fab your own piping from the turbo to the intercooler. The intercooler to the throttle body side will be just fine how it comes.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #18
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
You can get a turbo Ecotec with an automatic from the factory. It's called the Saab 9^3. All those parts should swap right on providing there's adequate room under the hood, then you'd just need a custom tune.

you beat me to it!!..lol
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #19
VAAlero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post

link?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #20
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
starting 2003 any saab 2.0 turbo was an ecotec, however there are 3 versions of the turbo ecotec ranging from 150 hp then 175 which are both low pressure turbos, then 210 for the high pressure model turbos
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote