Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did my LIMG last weekend

Well like the title says, i did my limg last weekend. After i got it all put back together and started it i got a considerable amount of misfires on cyl #1, also threw a maf code, and its idling really wierd and bogging at stop lights. As of tonight i had the codes cleared and played with some stuff, the ses light stayed off on my way home from work so hopefully the misfires are gone. When it got scanned today as opposed to last night the maf code was not there. So hopefully my only remaining issue is the shitty idle. I think it might be caused by the pair of used phoenelic spacers i installed at the same time as the gasket changes. Any other ideas on what could be causing my problems? Oh and here are a few pics.

Last edited by alerored04 : 03-05-2007 at 09:13 PM.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
could have fouled out a plug or 2.......... i know that happened to me when i did the intake gasket on my blazer....... still in the process of getting rid of the occasional misfire though........

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
the spacers shouldnt have caused any problems as long as the o-rings were still good.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
what lower intake gasket did you use?

use some starting fluid and carefully spray around upper intake are while its idling if you have a considerable change in idle you have a vacuum leak, thats how i found the cracks in my upper intake.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
alerored04
GLS member

i used the newest GM gasket since my roomate works at the stealership and he got me a discount. I am gonna change the plugs tonight and try to get rid of the miss, i am also gonna switch from the taylors back to stock and see if that helps. After that im gonna try to swap the coil pack locations around and see if cyl #1 keeps missing or if it moves with that pack. Other than that i might be down to new injectors cause i think there is a possibility that the o ring on the fuel feed line might have tore while i was taking it out and a piece went into the rail. Im not sure about that though. Thanks for the help guys, ill keep ya updated.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
alerored04
GLS member

so i just did all that bs, nothin. Who has a set of stock injectors i can buy off them for cheap? I think one of mine is clogged with part of the fuel feed o ring. I really dont wanna pay $200 for a set when they will get replaced in under a year when i turbo.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
You know you can probably buy them O-rings at the parts store...

If you ever have the injectors out, why not replace them? Heck they only run about $8.

Also new spak plugs didnt cure the problem?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
SkullFractured
GX Member

SkullFractured is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
so i just did all that bs, nothin. Who has a set of stock injectors i can buy off them for cheap? I think one of mine is clogged with part of the fuel feed o ring. I really dont wanna pay $200 for a set when they will get replaced in under a year when i turbo.

check with jabartram for used injectors.

also, take a 10mm ratchet, run the engine with your ear close to the UIM, and slowly one by one go around all the UIM bolts. Loosen and retighten, listening for changes in idle or an increase/decrease in vacuum hiss. New gaskets on the UIM often dont seat correctly on some brands, which will cause some erratic problems. Just a simple check to eliminate as a possibility.

Last edited by SkullFractured : 01-17-2007 at 10:57 PM.
SkullFractured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFractured View Post
check with jabartram for used injectors.

also, take a 10mm ratchet, run the engine with your ear close to the UIM, and slowly one by one go around all the UIM bolts. Loosen and retighten, listening for changes in idle. New gaskets on the UIM often dont seat correctly on some brands, which will cause some erratic problems. Just a simple check to eliminate as a possibility.

yeah i have a full set of stockers+2 extra's and i'll have a set 36# for sale around march/april.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #10
El_Diablo

Quote:
pull themand soak them in fuel treatment and some gas then set them on top of your dryer (or washer with a heavy blankey, lol) and turn it on... cheap "sonic" cleaner... another good way is if you have an old force feedback controler and an ac/dc converter... neither are pretty but they work if your on a budget or need a quick fix
Old 01-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #11
alerored04
GLS member

none of you really listened, the o ring on the fuel feed line going into the rail broke into pieces and i think one of the small chunks went inside the rail and is clogging an injector. Jabartram how much for a set of 6 stock injectors? Let me know asap i want to figure this damn thing out. And injectors are not $8 a piece, its more like $100 for a set of 6, minimum. And skull, im runnin the phoenelic spacers with o rings, so they should be seated properly, i did get in there and listen to it and cant hear any leaks. If there is one its small cause i pulled the vacuum plug off near the alt while it was running and she almost died, it was pullin plenty of vacuum when i put my finger over it so if there is a leak its not super bad. I still think my next best bet will be injectors.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
SkullFractured
GX Member

you're probably right bro, and yah I was listening, but i wanted you to check other stuff first that didn't cost money before dropping for a set of injectors. didn't want to see you waste money on something you might not have needed.

good luck!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
El_Diablo

Quote:
none of you really listened, the o ring on the fuel feed line going into the rail broke into pieces and i think one of the small chunks went inside the rail and is clogging an injector. Jabartram how much for a set of 6 stock injectors? Let me know asap i want to figure this damn thing out. And injectors are not $8 a piece, its more like $100 for a set of 6, minimum. And skull, im runnin the phoenelic spacers with o rings, so they should be seated properly, i did get in there and listen to it and cant hear any leaks. If there is one its small cause i pulled the vacuum plug off near the alt while it was running and she almost died, it was pullin plenty of vacuum when i put my finger over it so if there is a leak its not super bad. I still think my next best bet will be injectors.
my recomendation is there for a reason.. i did read but you would be suprised by some of the stuff that will break down with a good cleaning
Old 01-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
alerored04
GLS member

ok just makin sure. Skull i did retorque the spacer bolts last night. Didnt help. From the look of my injectors when i pulled them they are due for a replacement but i thought a could coax a few more months out of them until it gets 42.5lb ones. I found a full fuel rail on ebay with wiring and injectors for $10. the auction ends in a day so ill have to drive it nice for a while, but i will update when i figure it out.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #15
SkullFractured
GX Member

full rail with injectors? if so, sounds scary, even at $10. ah well, ya shouldn't be out that much if they dont work out, but I would have the rail backflushed regardless. if it contains the injectors still, you should be able to get one good set between the two.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #16
alerored04
GLS member

thats what i was thinking. What is involved with a backflush? Can i DIY it or is it a shop deal? On the auction it says it was ran 2 days ago and worked fine. Im not lookin for somethin pricey, just to get me through the next couple months til i can afford a dpp turbo.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #17
SkullFractured
GX Member

cool man, good choice on the turbo.

anything that can flow liquids can be backflushed. just remove the injectors from the rail, and put some pressurized solvent in through the injector port (injector removed), pushing everything out through the fuel inlet. This way you know there is nothing inside the rail (particles or o-ring chunks) that will flow back into the injectors once it's reassembled.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
El_Diablo

one question on the turbo... how? lol its been a while since the sites been down and germ kinda disappeared...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #19
alerored04
GLS member

I live about 40 miles from him and talk to him quite often. He has offered to build me a kit and help me install it and teach me how to tune. I have actually been discussing the issues im having with my car with him this week. He disappeared cause work has gotten crazy for him and he has a newborn daughter. He is a busy guy lately.