Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-23-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Exit9alero
GX Member

Exit9alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Exit9alero
Turbo VS SuperCharge...

so im havinall my friends debate which is best for my car so i figured y not ask my alero fam.. so which is more expensive/labor/maintence/overallcost and performance
Exit9alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
turbo. neither are cheap though and you cant really slap on a power adder and be good to go. probably have to upgrade internals and your transmission.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
turbo. neither are cheap though and you cant really slap on a power adder and be good to go. probably have to upgrade internals and your transmission.

I agree with everything except the underlined section. You can run a power adder on a stock engine and tranny. Just have to add more fuel under boost. Tell your friends that a turbo is better for power but a supercharger is easier to install.

Turbo: Uses waste (exhaust) to spool turbo to make boost. Is a more efficient air pump than a roots supercharger and will make more power at the same boost level. Can be easily intercooled. Using a boost controller, you can easily turn up the boost as long as the fuel system can provide the extra fuel. Properly sized turbo has little to no lag and reaches peak boost early in rpm range. Requires a new exhaust manifold and downpipe, making installation a bit harder and more time consuming.

Roots Supercharger: Run off drive belts and pulleys, so it takes power to make power. Instant power, but doesn't reach peak boost until redline. To raise boost, you need to change the pulley size, which can be time consuming. Also raising boost creates hotter air, so you can only go so high before any more is ineffective. Can be intercooled using Air/Water unit, or alcohol injection, but is difficult to install. Allows for stock exhaust and manifolds to be retained, making installation quicker and easier.

So basically, a supercharger is easier to install, will give you more power and will make the car feel like it has a larger N/A engine (because it's belt driven so boost level depends on rpm). A turbo will make more power at the same boost level and sooner in the rpm range, but is a little more difficult to install.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 08-23-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Roots Supercharger: Run off drive belts and pulleys, so it takes power to make power. Instant power, but doesn't reach peak boost until redline. To raise boost, you need to change the pulley size, which can be time consuming. Also raising boost creates hotter air, so you can only go so high before any more is ineffective. Can be intercooled using Air/Water unit, or alcohol injection, but is difficult to install. Allows for stock exhaust and manifolds to be retained, making installation quicker and easier.

So basically, a supercharger is easier to install, will give you more power and will make the car feel like it has a larger N/A engine (because it's belt driven so boost level depends on rpm). A turbo will make more power at the same boost level and sooner in the rpm range, but is a little more difficult to install.

I don't know anything from first hand experience about turbos on Aleros like you so I won't touch it.

I just have a couple little things to point out.......

1. Changing a pulley is easy, it takes less time and tools than an oil change pull back belt tensioner to release belt, new pulley, can use same belt if pulley is somewhat close. If you go much smaller you would need to put a new belt on which would require jacking up the engine and undoing the 2 engine mounting bolts.....

2. Water to Air intercooler setups are no harder to accomplish than having a custom set of turbo headers made

So in reality you could for less or the same hassle have an intercooled supercharger versus a turbo.....
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
ok, lets stop the madness. You can drop $3k-4k on a S/C, or you can drop around $1.7k on a turbo setup and have more tunability/options and smoke the crap out of the poor guy that spent twice as much on his S/C.

you can run low boost on the street, and without getting out of the car, turn the boost up a little more when you want to without getting out of the car and getting the wrenches out.

If S/C's are so much better, then why did Stattama jerk that S/C off of that Gran Prix and put on turbo to make their 9 second car?

Dont get me wrong, either one is good for making boost. But clearly the Turbo is superior in more ways than just one.

The only benefit I can see from the S/C is yes, easier install, and a little less underhood temps.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Exit9alero
GX Member

Exit9alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Exit9alero
ok thanxs fot the info, which is more costly to install? and wuts with the whole internals specifically wut wud i have to change and the whole tranny issue wuts with that wud i has to lsd?
Exit9alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit9alero View Post
ok thanxs fot the info, which is more costly to install? and wuts with the whole internals specifically wut wud i have to change and the whole tranny issue wuts with that wud i has to lsd?

ENGLISH MOTHA effA! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
lol^^^, i was thinking about going the supercharger way, but now i'm kinda thinkin turbo, just for reasons pointed above, mainly for the cost reasons. And the pppsssttt from a blow off valve just sounds awesome.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i get tired of hearing a blow off valves from all the imports, i love the whine of a supercharger......
Old 08-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
ok, lets stop the madness. You can drop $3k-4k on a S/C, or you can drop around $1.7k on a turbo setup and have more tunability/options and smoke the crap out of the poor guy that spent twice as much on his S/C.

i highly doubt a basic turbo setup would "smoke the crap" out of a basic supercharger setup

he may beat him but smoke him no way.......
Old 08-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I'm pretty unbiased when I say turbo >>>>>>>>>> supercharger, since I drive a supercharged car lol.. lol

Turbos give you WAY more low end power. Peak power at redline is kind of gay. Also, turning up an electronic boost controller is easier than swapping pullies
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
define "basic"

I can run 6psi, 20psi, or any psi in between at a whim, and not buy anything additional. No extra pulleys, no wrench time, no matter how little.

and yeah, I meant "smoke the crap out of"

Stattama started with an S/C setup, hit it's limitations, and then wisely changed over to turbo.

and yeah I agree.....waiting for redline for full boost is kinda pointless. I hit full boost at 3500 RPM's, and have plenty of legs all the way out after that.

I also agree about the ricer's ruining the BOV concept, just like I think it's kinda idiotic to have a illuminated purge valve. I almost went to a feedback BOV (and I may yet) just so nobody would know, but then again, it was all too tempting to scare the shit out of the poor little ricers with a BOV that sounded like Marc's train horn

Old 08-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #13
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
lol^^^, i was thinking about going the supercharger way, but now i'm kinda thinkin turbo, just for reasons pointed above, mainly for the cost reasons. And the pppsssttt from a blow off valve just sounds awesome.

You have a 5 speed Ecotec...please do go with a turbo! I promise you will not be disappointed even on a stock engine. You'll be able to push about 260-270hp to the wheels. Drop in some forged pistons and rods and a heavy duty clutch and you can easily go over 300whp Just remember, do it right the first time.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
You have a 5 speed Ecotec...please do go with a turbo! I promise you will not be disappointed even on a stock engine. You'll be able to push about 260-270hp to the wheels. Drop in some forged pistons and rods and a heavy duty clutch and you can easily go over 300whp Just remember, do it right the first time.

agreed, its gonna be an over the winter project, just gotta find a winter beater now.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
burg03

so blackjack is everything finished as far as your turbo set up.If so do you plan on taking it to a dyno? do you plan on giving recomendations on what to use for a turbo setup?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

75% complete on the engine, this run. And if you're wanting normal streetable performance, I'd recommend 6-8psi with a T3/T4 to start with, and as you learn more about it, move up 2psi at a time in boost from there. I'm not about to recommend what I'm doing for someone that's not turbo/tuning savvy and wants to maintain street reliability. Mine is being built for 80% strip, 20% street, cam and all (idle is going to suck).

Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
burg03

oooooooooo pppppppssshhhhh,gangsta!!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #18
yoslvr442
GX Member

yoslvr442 is on a distinguished road
im going the supercharger route becasue well i love the whine. im going to be doing it for about half maybe more then what the kit is selling for. its easier and i "should" be getting around "255" at wheels. its my daily driver and just want some extra power when i step on it. i would rather have instant power then later power. either way you go turbo or snail youll be happy with the gains.

71 442
yoslvr442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #19
kwhauck
2Screwy

supercharger whine > turbo BOV

Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
The whine to me sounds like someone's power steering is going bad. Turbo blow off valves sound like power, or the release of excess power; seems as a more impressive appearance. Then again, you *could* put a BOV onto a supercharged application, and get both. Heh.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote