Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Single or Dual Exhuast?

Once I move I'll finally start to mod my car, but I haven't decided on Single or Dual exhaust yet. Near the end of the summer I'll be buying a turbo kit (they sell grand am ones on ebay) so I want to go with a 3 inch catback for now and once I get the turbo put on I'll change out the headers, downpipe and cat.

What would sound better for a 3 inch turbo setup, Single or Dual?
sorrowfulkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
PFC2
GX Member

PFC2 is an unknown quantity at this point
single
PFC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
single
Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Alright, thanks...

btw with the 3 inch catback before I get the turbo, will that give me quite a bit less power in the lower rpm's or will it affect it very little?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowfulkiller View Post
Alright, thanks...

btw with the 3 inch catback before I get the turbo, will that give me quite a bit less power in the lower rpm's or will it affect it very little?

umm yea. hp will drop and torque will be decimated.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
why a 3in exhaust???? thats what my step dad has on his 8 CYLINDER truck, why not just go with 2.5in??? people on here told me to go with 2.25 or 2.5, no bigger than that.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
billy, the difference is in turbo or N/A.

with turbo, you need max flow to get out of the engine, fast as possible.
with N/A, you need some backpressure to retain low-end torque.

so.....with N/A, 2.5"
with turbo, 3"

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post

so.....with N/A, 2.5"
with turbo, 3"

ahh ok, SHIT, well i guess i wont get a turbo in the future, i mean that wasnt my number one thing i wanted to get just yet, but i guess i will just do headers, high flow cat, DHP.... thanks for the info though
Old 02-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
if you're forking out for headers, you're going to waste alot of money going to turbo anyway, because it's very different, and they're not interchangeable.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

Quote:
if you're forking out for headers, you're going to waste alot of money going to turbo anyway, because it's very different, and they're not interchangeable.
oh alright, its not even a big deal if i dont get a turbo anyways, i mean i would love to get one, but there arent ANY tracks around here, and i will be happy with headers, thats the most expensive performance mod im probably going to do....
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

Alright, So in other words do exhuast roughly the same time as the turbo?

Hey blackjack, did you get a custom downpipe made or what?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

yeah, here you can see where I was test-fitting it before I added coating and header wrap. germ made the downpipe and just tacked it together in case I needed to readjust, then I had it final welded here locally.

This shows the position of the turbo:

This shows where the downpipe comes out the turbine housing and loops behind the engine just over the rear header, and then down the firewall:

Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #13
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i still cant beleive how gorgeous those things are and cant wait until i can afford to have jeremy start mine.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

oh, you will probably like this then......

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...841#post253841

Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #15
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:

so.....with N/A, 2.5"
with turbo, 3"
Not going to really change anything, just tweak your post a little to be more accurate.

With turbo, you need max flow to get exhaust backpressure off the turbine to spool as quick as possible.
With N/A, you need to maintain exhaust velocity to retain low-end torque. Backpressure is bad.

To answer sorrowfulkiller's original question, a single exit 3" exhaust will flow the best. A dual exit system will not flow any better, but will not flow worse either, so you will not gain or lose power. Duals are pretty much just for looks. You will gain power with just the 3" cat-back mostly in the upper rpm's and shift the low end torque higher up in the rpm range.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 02-08-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

yeah, backpressure is kind of a bad generic term, but yeah, basically maintaining flow velocity at the right diameter helps "pull" exhaust out.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #17
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
yeah, backpressure is kind of a bad generic term, but yeah, basically maintaining flow velocity at the right diameter helps "pull" exhaust out.
Yes.

And on a side note BlackJack, I do really like your setup. Almost makes me want to drop in a built 3400 . And since we're talking about exhausts, I'm just curious, what kind of setup do you run (pipe size, cat. muffler, etc.)?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #18
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Thanks bro.

3" straight downpipe that stops right before the rear crossmember. No cat, no EGR, no muffler.

and the WG is atmospheric dump.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #19
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Thanks bro.

3" straight downpipe that stops right before the rear crossmember. No cat, no EGR, no muffler.

and the WG is atmospheric dump.
Damn...talk about ultra flow. It's gotta be a little loud though.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #20
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

it's loud, but not as bad as you would think. it's about like having a large glasspack or 50 series flowmaster, with no high tones.

That turbo actually cuts up the soundwaves coming out, which pretty much destroys high tones. meh....or something like that