what engine
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
|Rev|

2.4l
Old 09-13-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the water pump.....................lol

well it is a big job. it is located by the exhaust manifold. let me see if i can get ya a how to.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
here you go how to replace water pump
Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
|Rev|

wow, thanx Scott, looks like I've got quite the project ahead of me <_<
Old 09-14-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
come on rev, not that big of a project, i sanded and painted my car in less than one day
Old 09-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I just read over that link and I must I'm damn glad to have the V6. You can have the water pump on those changed in about 30 minutes.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:07 PM   #9
|Rev|

has anyone done this by themselves b4? the cheapest person we could find said it would be 460 bucks, and the water pump costs like 60 <_< .
I need to know if you think with the right tools (someone said they would let me borrow tools) and no lift, just jacks, that I could do this by Saturday? I really want to have it done by Sunday, there are some drags there. The mechanics might not be able to have it done until next thursday or somethin like that...
Old 09-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

that isn't bad for cost wise. i have heard of it costing $700-$1000. but that was a dealership.

well if your knowledge of motors is very small then i would say no. see if you can get someone that knows about engines to help ya. this is not a newbie job.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Sep 14 2004, 10:16 AM
I just read over that link and I must I'm damn glad to have the V6. You can have the water pump on those changed in about 30 minutes.
this is one downfall of the 2.4

but at least i can change my belt in 1 minute

change plugs in 10 minutes.........etc

pros and cons too both motors
Old 09-14-2004, 09:11 PM   #12
|Rev|

great, I'm screwed
Old 09-14-2004, 09:17 PM   #13
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Sep 14 2004, 11:16 AM
ummm, not really. not if the drain plug is stuck at least
Old 09-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #14
mixmastercase
GL Member

mixmastercase is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mixmastercase
Is there a how-to for the 3.4 to change the water pump
mixmastercase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:01 PM   #15
GLSalero99

To replace the water pump for the 3.4:

remove the radiator overflow tank - 3 hoses, 1 bolt, 1 sensor
remove the little belt installation direction piece (above the water pump and just one bolt)
release the tensioner pully (3/8 ratchet)
remove 4 bolts on front of the water pump; you may have to use a screwdriver or a wrench to prevent it from turning while you remove them
remove 5 bolts holding the water pump to the engine
use a gasket scraper and scrape all the old gasket crap off
clean out any crap from the hole
put on the new gasket
put on the new pump
reattach the outer pully cover
retension the belt
replace the sensor and radiator overflow tank
turn on the car and heater on high and fill up the tank till its full
you may get some bleed out of the water pump until the water gets to the right level

enjoy a functional water pump (mine was 20 something dollars at advance)
Old 08-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #16
Matthewfinlay04

Does anyone have the working link for the how-to for replacing the water pump. Started into the project not knowing what we got into now were so far that its not worth turning back. Any advise would be great. So far have the exhuast manafold off half the time chain cover. Does the whole cover need to come off?