Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Netuddki
GX Member

Netuddki is on a distinguished road
Steering Wheel with Radio control?

I am a new guy here and I bought an Alero 2004 a few months ago.

I really would love to have a steering wheel with controls for Radio and Phone.

I can't find any aftermarket wheels with controls, only sport wheels, which I ofcourse don't need.

If there is no aftermarket wheel with controls, is there any other GM car, that has controls on its wheel and can be used for an Alero too?
Netuddki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Can you find a steering wheel to physically fit, I'm sure. GM likes to use the same parts/dimentions for years.

However, what you are asking is an entire different monster in itself. You are talking about wiring and a lot of it. The steering wheel more than likely will not interface with the car, but if it's VIN controlled, there are ways around it.

Hopefully Cliff will chime in, he knows a lot about this stuff

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be looking at the wiring schematics of the grand am... i know they had the steering radio controls so it might be feasible to follow those wiring diagrams to make it work on the alero... Will it be easy? Not a chance... but if you want it anything is possible! Good luck

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Netuddki
GX Member

Thank you guys!

Actually I want to replace the Radio with an aftermarket GPS Navigation system with bluetooth and I really just need the buttons.

I thought, maybe I can make a hybrid out of aftermarket bluetooth controls and a wheel with buttons.

You can buy those bluetooth controls, but they are always attached with a rubber band to the wheel, which is ugly.

My main problem is, that I am in europe and we have no US cars here on the junkyard, so I would need to buy the wheel on eBay or so.

That's why I would need some input on the names and types of the cars manufactured by GM which might have the same specs (attachment, Airbag etc.) , like the Alero.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Netuddki
GX Member

Ok guys, I think, I have found the solution!

It seems, that the Pontiac Grand Am has the same steering wheel, and it has a version, which has remote control buttons. The Cruise Control is on the bottom part of the wheel, not on the sides.

So I don't even have to mess around with those bluetooth remote controls, because most aftermarket radios have wheel control function.

Based on the video below, the wiring should be the same too, except the Alero has probably 6 pins, like the guy's Grand Am had and the wheel with the Sound control has 8 pins, but if you change the whole thing, like in the video, you should be good to go. You just have to plug it in and that's it.

I hope, I can keep the Airbag with the Oldsmobile logo on it and put it onto the Grand Am wheel.

This is the video, how to change the wheel on a Grand Am. Should be the same for the Alero too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnEyLExwcc

This is the Grand Am wheel:

This is the Alero wheel

Last edited by Netuddki : 10-25-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
That's the wheel i suggested.... you will not be able to use the alero air bag with that wheel as it is a different design.... i tried when i did the grand am interior swap on my old alero.... the wheel didn't have the radio controls so i didn't try to hook it up but the site bag design is different between the 2 wheels....

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Netuddki
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
That's the wheel i suggested.... you will not be able to use the alero air bag with that wheel as it is a different design.... i tried when i did the grand am interior swap on my old alero.... the wheel didn't have the radio controls so i didn't try to hook it up but the site bag design is different between the 2 wheels....

Yes, your post led me to the right path. Thanks!

Yes, I assumed by the different designs that it won't be possible to keep the Alero airbag, but I hoped so. Thanks for confirming.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
03AceAlero
GX Member

03AceAlero is on a distinguished road
Just a suggestion you might try a silhouette steering wheel, they have radio controls and you will still have the oldsmobile symbol
03AceAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Netuddki
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03AceAlero View Post
Just a suggestion you might try a silhouette steering wheel, they have radio controls and you will still have the oldsmobile symbol

WOW! That's cool, mate!
Thank you for suggesting this! I just checked the wheels and they look good.

Now it's the question if they fit to the Alero when you want to mount it.

EDIT: It seems that it fits at least where it matters. I will try to get that Silhouette wheel.
The problem is, that the Silhouette has the cruise control on the side as a stick (I assume), but maybe If I use a 2004 wheel, which has the buttons like the Grand Am, then I can mount the original Alero Cruise Control buttons on the side.

Last edited by Netuddki : 11-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
Garfield
GX Member

Garfield is on a distinguished road
Do let us know how that works out, that would be nice.
Cherry: 2004 Alero GLS Sedan (Final 500 #362) ~63k

Last edited by Garfield : 11-10-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
Netuddki
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Do let us know how that works out, that would be nice.

Ok.
It won't happen soon, because I am in europe and I have to find a dealer in the US and as far as I can tell, the OEM Silhouette wheels are discontinued everywhere and even used parts are hard to get.

Now I am looking into the Bravada wheels.

As far as I can tell, the Bravada wheels can be mounted to. Maybe you need to cut the metal plate a bit, but the two main holes which are important for mounting are the same.

The Bravada wheel doesn't look really good, but has more buttons (probably for cruise control?). The wiring will be a bit problematic maybe, but surely doable.

The best part is, that for bravada you can buy an aftermarket wheel too, but unfortunately it is even uglier, than the original black wheel.

Last edited by Netuddki : 11-03-2014 at 02:45 PM.