Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
Headlights/DRL malfunction

I'm starting the car at night and the headlights come on automatically, I pull out of the parking spot and drive to the end of the alley and they turn off leaving me just with the DRL lights. Headlights work fine if I switch them on and off from the switch.

In the past year I've engaged the hand brake almost every day when parked and I started the car almost everytime with the hand brake engaged.

Is this a relay acting up or a blown fuse or the switch related to headlights from the hand brake going bad?

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
are you saying that when you turn on the car at night, with the handbrake engaged they automatically come on as soon as you start the car or does it wait until you put the hand brake down
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Twiz
GX Member

No, sir. Nevermind the handbrake, I stopped using it. The headlights just switch off by themselves within a few seconds or a minute when I start driving the car. DRLs are on but the whole dashboard goes out along with the headlights when this happens.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Your light sensor obviously thinks it's daytime out.

Turn your headlights on manually instead of the AUTO setting for now.

I'm not familiar with replacement on that.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Twiz
GX Member

That's what I thought: I'll just add it to my "Don't touch that dial, fix it sometime this decade" list, along with the blower resistor, rear defrost.

I'm kidding, I'm going to check a few relays and all fuses related to this problem. I think I can pinpoint this.

Thanks guys! I'll post back with what I found wrong in case someone else runs into this same exact issue.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Do remember, autolights <> DRL.

Sounds like the sensor, or the control electronics, are confused.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote