Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 10-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Car won't start

So,

I'm finally home for the first time in months...
Drove the car this morning, it was fine.. my folks drove it this afternoon to work and it no longer starts; no symptoms during the drive...

The facts:
- It will fire, rise to 1500 rpm and die (no matter if you open the throttle or not)
- Gas gauge shows 0; was just below half prior to shut down
- Radio does not work
- No theft light on
- Lights/Windows/Etc. all work
- HVAC works
- Fuel pump primes
- My aeroforce gauge no longer reads from the OBD2; simply lights up and stays that way, I'll try a conventional OBD2 scanner tomorrow..

So far through discussions with others I'm going to start this way:
- Check all fuses
- Check grounds
- Test alternator
- Shoot myself because electrical problems suck

2001 Malibu 3100 V6

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you getting A normal reading for TPS% ?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
A known problem on the N body Malibus is the ignition switch.

One thing to test - pull the radio temporarily (so you can get your hand back there!), and ... push the connector back on the switch firmly.

If that fixes it, it may be time to replace the switch and/or triple check the connector.

BIG hint - you take the switch out to swap the lock cylinder, I'd consider doing that at the same time, getting it rekeyed to match the current key (or the other locks keyed to use the new key - which costs a LOT more around here!)

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Radio fuse was out...
Cheapest, easiest fix I could have asked for
Old 10-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Glad it was an easy fix Mike ... now go abuse the poor girl for a while

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I love saying shit like this... "Told you didn't I!!" hahahahhahaaha....

Glad its all good brother...
Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Lol!

You should have heard when I first started it!! Everything got re-set via battery pulling, fuse pulling, etc.

Car thought it had a cam, wasn't sure what to do with idle... steady and smooth now!