Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Headlight Bulb Selection

So one of my headlights burned out today and I need to replace it. Its the 9006 low beam but I have heard I should replace them in pairs because as headlights age, they become more dim than a new replacement. Is this true?

Also, there's a ton of replacements out there... at Meijer, there's the basic sylvania 9006 ($18), the sylvania xtravision 9006 for a dollar more, silverstar 9006 ($30) and the silverstar ultra ($50). is there really a difference?

I like the look of a more white light that HID's give off but i don't have the budget to upgrade. What do you all think is my best bet?

Thanks!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
ddm's 35 watt kits are on sale for 29.95 right now
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
I personally prefer the 9012 HIRs for the 9006, and the 9011s for the 9005s, as an upgrade.

Yes, you should replace in pairs since they're both the same age, and if you don't swap in an OEM -exact replacement, you risk having a really funky looking light path.

THAT said - for purchase in the local stores, you have to weigh increased brightness against longer life (i.e., the Silverstar Ultras that have such bright lights? Last about 1/4 as long as the OEM grade lights ... )

As to the $29.95 DDM kits - you can try those. My experience is that, without the proper projector housings for them, you end up with a bright flare of light at the car (so you think it's brighter), which causes the pupils to contract (reducing night sensitivity), and ... there's not that much light further down the road. I'd recommend against them.

For the HIRs, you can find them on Amazon and Ebay. There's a write up on them here, but you don't have to BUY from there.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote