Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #21
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by misslindseysue@Oct 7 2005, 11:21 AM
Well if you really want to get into it with GM, I know plenty of engineers who can prove that a CAI will fry an engine and trans.

And if you read the Mag-Moss Act, it applies to direct replacement parts, not "upgrades."

I don't really want to get into it with GM but they evidently didn't want to get into it with SEMA, or my lawyer either, :shrug: . Out of morbid curiosity I'd to see how a properly functioning and installed CAI would fry an engine, unless it pushed the engine into an extremly lean condition and holed a piston or something, id especially like to see how it would fry a trans.

I have read the Act. It basically says that if you have a CAI (for example) the intake is no longer warranted. Anything downstream is covered, unless the warrantor can prove it caused the failure. Basically anything you replace is no longer covered. If some other part fails the burden is on the warrantor to prove the failure was the result of the aftermarket part, sec 2302c. If they can't they have to fix it.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #22
misslindseysue

A CAI will cause it to run lean, eroding the pistons and cyliner heads. As for the trans, I'll have to get Pat to explain. But basically it's cal'd to shift differently in lean conditions, which aren't good for it all the time.

I'm really not trying to start a fight with you. Obviously you're smarter than "I put NAWS on my car and blew it up." It's just those ahoes who screw their dealer out of a new engine who cost my boyfriend his job in the long run (only any sort or raise or promotion this year, but who knows what to come).

And there are dealers who won't do legitimate warranty claims, giving GM a bad reputation, again, costing people near and dear to me their living.

So, ahoes all around I suppose. The law is there to protect everyone.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #23
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
I'm not trying to argue or fight either. I just don't want people to think that just because they add a CAI their warranty is voided. Or that a properly installed and functioning CAI will cause an engine to fail. After nearly three years with a CAI My old engine showed no signs of running lean.

I think I have seen how the auto trans can be affected by a new intake before, something to do with vacuum lines or something if I recall correct, i've got a manual so never really paid too much attention.

I have never heard of a CAI leaning an engine out before though. I would think most EFI engines should be able to compensate for the (slightly) larger quantity of oxygen entering the engine. They typically measure the air pressure and based on a number of other calulations determine the correct amount of fuel to spray into the cylinder. The post combustion sensors also come into the equation and help correct any lean/rich condition. I suppose if you crammed more air than the MAP or MAF sensor could read into the engine you would have problems but I think that would require some form of forced induction.

The only problem I could think of, short of sucking debris into the engine, is to run into a rich condition where the air is flowing too fast through the CC and does not burn completely, like what hapens when you port a head too much. This typically clogs the cat and post combustion sensors with little negative effect on the engine itself.

I may be wrong. IF someone knows something different please post it.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:28 PM   #24
sheldo79

i got 88k on mine and i got it used (the car) to tell u the truth i beat the livin crap out of it and runs and shift good (i got a heavy foot) but some times it shifts rough i got but i think when i change the cat itll be good
Old 11-05-2006, 02:42 AM   #25
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
My transmission seems to be slipping a bit in first gear.. (curse my lead foot).. i'll have to baby it around untill i have the money to either get it fixed, get a new one, or just go ahead and get a "high performance" one and just stick with that, since i plan on modding the rest of the car anyways.
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:14 AM   #26
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
you aint gonna find a "high performance one" anywhere. You will have to swap to 4T65 which is overkill or build the 45 yourself if you want high performance.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #27
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I did see a hd 45 tranny, but it was very expensive.

Try a tranny flush first

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote