Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Hello all,

I just noticed a few days ago that when I am going straight in my car, the steering wheel is off center to the left just a bit. When I put the wheel centered, the car goes to the right. I have never noticed this before nor have I hit anything that would cause this. Right after I noticed this I had my tires rotated and that did not help. My car only has 14k on it and I wanted to ask you guys what I should do before I make an appointment to get an alignment. Thanks
Old 11-20-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
misslindseysue

Just drive with the steering wheel a little to the left.

Wait, 14k? A 2003? Warranty. Just call the dealer, tell them what the problem is, that you didn't hit anything, you want them to fix it under warranty, and ask what they want to do.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
Purple&Black

According to the warranty info that I have (2001 manual), wheel alignment and balance are considered maintenance items after 7500 miles. I guess it depends on how well you and your dealer get along, since they could point to that and say that you have to pay for it... Unless, of course, they've changed that part of the warranty in the last couple years.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
misslindseysue

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple&Black@Nov 20 2003, 12:57 PM
According to the warranty info that I have (2001 manual), wheel alignment and balance are considered maintenance items after 7500 miles. I guess it depends on how well you and your dealer get along, since they could point to that and say that you have to pay for it... Unless, of course, they've changed that part of the warranty in the last couple years.
That'd be poopty if they didn't cover it. I have over 60k on mine and I've never had to align it. A problem like that at 14k is obviously a defect.

Just be really nice to the dealer, most of them are decent people, and they'll just charge GM anyway.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
3.4Alero

If you are going to get the car aligned, just tell them at the alignment place, they should be able to re-adjust the steering wheel to be on-center with no problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
havik

Honestly I don't think it's such a big deal, unless of course the steering wheel is noticeably off center. I bought my old Cav used with 36k on it and the steering wheel was off, but after putting it through 80k, 4 accidents, multiple bumps, and somewhat reckless driving at times, the steering wheel remained where it was.

I would make a note of this with your dealership. Come to a conclusion with them that if this problem gets worse, they fix it no questions asked.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

The steering wheel is not real bad off center, but its enough to bug me. I called the dealer and they said that GM only covers alignment for 7,500 miles. He said even a pot hole could knock the TOE out and cause that. And to be frank, there are alot of pot holes here. However, I don't drive over them fast or anything. But I guess thats the problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:23 PM   #8
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
it's a good idea to get an allignment done every once in a while anyway. It can correct many problems before they cost you a lot more $.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #9
overdrive75

Have you ever considered that the crown on the road would be causing this. I mean think about it, it's a hair off to the left, and the road is highest in the middle. Just a thought.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:17 PM   #10
99blackalero

naw, i have the same problem...i do a lot of driving in quebec and the roads are horrible with tons of potholes so im guessing thats what threw the steering wheel off on mine, going to get an alignment soon
Old 12-05-2003, 08:16 PM   #11
Redddog88

Go and get your car alligned and that will fix the problem......a good shop will automatically straighten the wheel before they align it
Old 12-16-2003, 02:53 PM   #12
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Well I got around to getting my car to the shop and it was for sure out of alingment. The right front was fine, but the other 3 wheels were out. So that fixed my problem with the steering wheel off center. They said much longer and it would have started wearing my tires. So its a good thing I had it fixed.