Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-12-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
noextreme04

does anyone know if there has been any recalls on the traction control system screwing up on the 99 and 00 versions? there seems to be quite a big problem with them on my car and a lot peoples aleros that i know. so before i go out and have to pay for mine to get fixed i didnt know if anyone knows of any recalls or if there is some ingenious way of getting us to write a letter to GM saying that there is a big issue with them and maybe somehow they will recall them. long shot but it might work. let me know thanx
Old 12-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of problems are you having with the traction control?
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:15 PM   #3
boarder211

My traction control is working really well in my 99 alero... But what's the problem with yours? Something to watch out for...
Old 12-13-2003, 01:04 AM   #4
noextreme04

whenever i make a sharp turn or just a 90 degree turn my abs brakes will lock up and shut down my traction control system. every day when im leaving my house i know exactly what turn will shut them off. i almost totalled my car going down a set of hair pins because my brakes kept letting go even though i was barely pushing the brake. so mainly the problem is that my traction control doesnt work to my addvantage it is trying to kill me, and it shuts itself off all the time
Old 12-13-2003, 02:03 AM   #5
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
I don't have problems with it except going around slick corners faster than I should (it's hard to judge how fast you should go when you normally drive on the road when it's dry...:P) Actually, I'd rather not have the TC through those corners at all, because it does screw around with the weight balance when you're on the brakes, and makes it harder to correct the steering.

If you're still on warranty though, head up to the dealership and ask if that's a warranty part/service. And if it's not, ask how much it would be to get it checked out, and possibly fixed. If it's not, don't be afraid to do a little price shopping at places like Firestone, Pepboys, or Autozone, or any other shops you might have in your area. Better safe than sorry, that's for damn sure.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:45 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
The "traction control system" has nothing to with actual traction. It simply senses tire slip from the ABS sensors and kills cylinders until the slipping is gone. Does not apply the brakes, or anything.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:06 AM   #7
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat@Dec 13 2003, 07:03 AM
1)I don't have problems with it except going around slick corners faster than I should

2)Actually, I'd rather not have the TC through those corners at all, because it does screw around with the weight balance when you're on the brakes
1) Slow down before you slam into a curb, tree, ditch, or a pedestrian, dummy

2) :rolleyes: riiiight.. the traction control upsets weight distribution of the car...

it merely limits the throttle until it doesnt sense the tires slipping anymore, and I've tried going through corners with it off in snow when you have no traction, and simply giving it MORE gas and lots of steering lock (read: crank the wheel as far as you can), but it doesnt pull it through the turn the way I had hoped, just more "push", so keep the traction control on and limit wheelspin
Old 12-17-2003, 02:11 PM   #8
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
the TC absolutely blows. Doesn't help at all. I have to turn it off alot to get going when i'm stuck, and it lets my wheels spin and hop like mad when i leave it on anyways.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
i always shut off my traction control...doesn't let me have the power i need to get up my driveway...it absolutely blows...i guess maybe cuz i'm too used to my rear wheel drive cutlass supreme..
Old 12-17-2003, 03:32 PM   #10
duesergirl

I've always left mine on, and never noticed it doing anything. I actually wasn't sure what it's really good for, but it was on when I got the car so I just left it! :rolleyes:
Old 12-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #11
Final-Reality

Honestly... I always shut mine off too when it starts to snow because I just think it's more fun... in some situations, such as going up a slippery slope, it IS a hinderance because usually the only way to get up is by massive wheelspin, the TC tries to maintain traction by not allowing wheelspin but going up a snow-covered slope there just isnt ANY traction to be had, so spinning your tires like sh ite is the only way...

BUT besides situations like that, less wheelspin is a good thing in snow unless you're just trying to have some fun... but in all honesty when there's snow on the ground and I'm driving around town, it's better to go around corners with the traction control on because loss of traction in the middle of a turn just means even more understeer.

If you really feel you have to go through a turn faster for some reason yank the e-brake briefly until the rear has rotated almost even with the front and let it back down... but be careful because if you're carrying too much speed (you're an idiot) and it's just going to cause you to totally lose control of your car
Old 12-17-2003, 05:42 PM   #12
overdrive75

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@Dec 17 2003, 12:45 AM
The "traction control system" has nothing to with actual traction. It simply senses tire slip from the ABS sensors and kills cylinders until the slipping is gone. Does not apply the brakes, or anything.
It doesn't kill cylinders, it decreases spark advance, till the desired enough torque has been removed, to allow the wheels to get traction. No there is a limit, on how much torque can be removed and keep the engine running. So you may still slip your tires.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #13
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality+Dec 17 2003, 02:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Final-Reality @ Dec 17 2003, 02:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AlbinoMonkeyRat@Dec 13 2003, 07:03 AM
1)I don't have problems with it except going around slick corners faster than I should

2)Actually, I'd rather not have the TC through those corners at all, because it does screw around with the weight balance when you're on the brakes
1) Slow down before you slam into a curb, tree, ditch, or a pedestrian, dummy

2) :rolleyes: riiiight.. the traction control upsets weight distribution of the car...

it merely limits the throttle until it doesnt sense the tires slipping anymore, and I've tried going through corners with it off in snow when you have no traction, and simply giving it MORE gas and lots of steering lock (read: crank the wheel as far as you can), but it doesnt pull it through the turn the way I had hoped, just more "push", so keep the traction control on and limit wheelspin [/b][/quote]
1) of course, but if I'm in a hurry, I don't wanna go 5mph when I could easily have gone 15.

2) so I stand corrected. This is a subject a lot of us can learn about obviously. Thaks for the info.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote